What records are you listening to tonight?

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
First time listening to this album. Really surprised me how good this was. A friend recommended it and I blew it off for a long time IMG_20220617_180916.jpg

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
What type of music is this?
Iron and Wine is one guy. Broken guitars played into multitrack cassette recorders in the earlier stuff, full band in hifi later on, then eventually paring back to more simple stuff again. Like the ballad of an east Texas orphan, southern love and ignorance, nostalgic and depressing while optimistic and life affirming. As easy to make fun of as it is excellent. Works better with booze and weed than straight.

EDIT: Sub Pop editions of Iron and Wine records are first rate. Heavy wax, quality sleeve, lyrics sheets, download code, thick stock. Like something from Factory Records.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Upward Over the Mountain makes me cry.
Tell me about it. Every time. I think that’s the first song of his I heard, on a CMJ sampler in the 90s.

EDIT: I guess it was more like 2002.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Tell me about it. Every time. I think that’s the first song of his I heard, on a CMJ sampler in the 90s.

EDIT: I guess it was more like 2002.

Wow, I haven't head a lot of the Iron & Wine stuff you posted. I only have The Creek Drank the Cradle, Our Endless Numbered Days and Woman King. Oh and that In the Reins collaboration he did. Well I mean I have cds, not records. :p

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I sometimes pull these records out and and ask myself, “Have I ever even heard this? I don’t recognize it…” and then when I put it on I realize I know all the words to all the songs.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Guys, I put on some Iron & Wine and all I hear is a guy huffing his own farts between swigs of small batch whiskey. What am I doing wrong??