What are the best horizontal Jamma shooters?

lidiaandmichael

Crazed MVS Addict
You got all that out of me saying "DeathSmiles"? He never mentioned a price range so why not give him some recommendations in all of them. You don't know his financial situation.

I saw the price and almost shit myself. I have no problem buying something nice but I want to get a few very good shooters before i drop a grand on a game. I am suprised there are not more awsome jamma shooters?

astrodan88

King's Dry Cleaner
I saw the price and almost shit myself. I have no problem buying something nice but I want to get a few very good shooters before i drop a grand on a game.

Exactly. I felt the same way when I started getting into pcbs. That's why I couldn't help but laugh that someone would name drop Death Smiles without putting (be ready to drop a grand) into parentheses. Progear is cheaper but still not cheap. And it's hard to find a non-boot copy.

Oh, and Gradius was mentioned but there's also several parodious games, if you fancy parodious.

Last edited:

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
That's why I couldn't help but laugh that someone would name drop Death Smiles without putting (be ready to drop a grand) into parentheses.

Did you even bother to read my response to your last useless post? Like I said before, nothing wrong with showing someone all of their options. Just let it go.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
cannonball is a big baller!

If you need recommendations then perhap you should start where it all began profficiently so get either Gradius or R-Type and if this is a genre that you see yourself liking for real then expand from there with some newer stuff like Aero Fighters 2, Gigawing and Last Resort, from then on if you feel this is your thing you can continue to the real deal and get Progear, Mars Matrix, Prehistoric Isle 2, Strikers 1945 Plus and so on.

All these games play on a hori monitor and they are all quality titles, however if you're on a budget and are not sure what games fancies you the most I recommend you use emulators in order to find out if certain game is worth your money or not.

PS: Keep in mind that I recommended MVS and CPSII games mostly 'cause of their ease of use for someone new to the arcade scene, which is only fair considering that you don't wanna jump into rare super expensive titles nor do you want a delicate PCB, but R-Type is veru delicate so be carefull.

Last edited:

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
This is why I don't advertise what boards I have, because people call you an "elitist" and "baller" if you have something nice that you paid money for.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Dude! He's telling a common joe who just got into the arcade scene to go and spend 800 bucks on a game! C'mon man even common sense would tell you that this is wacky.

I've probably spend more money on cabs and pcb's than the average arcade enthusiast and even so I know better than to consider myself a big baller and so should you and cannonball I was just messing around. Nobody here in this site is a big baller at all, not even close.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
This is why I don't advertise what boards I have, because people call you an "elitist" and "baller" if you have something nice that you paid money for.

oh cmon 68 don't be so bitchy

cannonball

15 Year Member
lol grave why resurrect this shit...and recommending an expensive game doesn't equate to me being a big baller. It's an expensive hobby to begin with.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
...'cause it was too damn funny if not a bit arrogant. Of course I know you're not a big baller and neither is 68k, I was just amused by the attitude behind the whole thing, but who cares I was just jerking around, no harm done.

cannonball

15 Year Member
...'cause it was too damn funny if not a bit arrogant. Of course I know you're not a big baller and neither is 68k, I was just amused by the attitude behind the whole thing, but who cares I was just jerking around, no harm done.

The only attitude in the thread came from the people who were offended by me suggesting games from more than one price range. I don't really understand why they (or you) care so much. But I guess in the future if I mention anything other than bargain bin PCBs in any of the threads I'll be sure to preface the post with a warning of the arrogance and elitism that is sure to follow.

20 Year Member
Nobody wins on the internet.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The only attitude in the thread came from the people who were offended by me suggesting games from more than one price range. I don't really understand why they (or you) care so much. But I guess in the future if I mention anything other than bargain bin PCBs in any of the threads I'll be sure to preface the post with a warning of the arrogance and elitism that is sure to follow.
...arrgghhh! Shut up already!

mungrin

Panko KING,
Heres on of my favorite horizontal jamma shooters

Sexy Parodius

250px-Sexy0003.png
us

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Heres on of my favorite horizontal jamma shooters

Sexy Parodius

250px-Sexy0003.png
us
Hell yeah, that's agreat game. All the Konami hori shooters are great, makes me wonder why there isn't much konami verts...weird, the only game I know of is that oldie that isn't very good anyway and I don't coun't the contra's as verts just 'cause of their orientation of course.

BTW cannonball, I didn't notice the date my bad, but I wasn't trolling I just said you're a big baller and robby robster decided to come to your rescue, the rest is pretty much just drama...damn this sucker is like a woman, they always gotta have the last word! OK man, you're right I was being an asshole for making a joke, I'm sorry I caused you grief.

20 Year Member
Detana!! Twinbee is vert and it is a great game. It is also very affordable (in comparison to most JAMMA shooters).

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Oh shit! That is true! I forgot about that, but is probably 'cause I like Yahoo much better and for got about Deta all the way, but you're right that is one great unexpensive vert game.

OldSchoolGamer

Living teh 'Murican dream
Haha this thread is great. Its actually giving me some ideas for shmup PCB's to pick up once my Egret II arrives:multi_co:

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
I got myself a Metal Black PCB recently...damn, I love that game. No complex scoring system or anything, and the gameplay is not very deep...but the bosses and atmosphere are amazing. Definitely one of my favorite horizontal shooters, although I'm sure a bunch of people will disagree.

astrodan88

King's Dry Cleaner
Definitely one of my favorite horizontal shooters, although I'm sure a bunch of people will disagree.

No way! Metal Black is great. Like you said, no deep scoring but tons of atmosphere. The beam battles with the bosses is alone enough qualify it for greatness.

I would imagine the pcb is hard to find though. I don't recall seeing one any time recently. What is the going rate/what did you pay for yours (if you don't mind me asking)? I'd love to play actual hardware.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I like Metal Black but I'm not a big fan of the ship, it looks horrid to me.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
No way! Metal Black is great. Like you said, no deep scoring but tons of atmosphere. The beam battles with the bosses is alone enough qualify it for greatness.

I would imagine the pcb is hard to find though. I don't recall seeing one any time recently. What is the going rate/what did you pay for yours (if you don't mind me asking)? I'd love to play actual hardware.

I paid around $150 for it...maybe a bit less. I figured I might never see another one for sale in the foreseeable future, so I pounced. Awesome PCB...not really worth a hell of a lot, but one of my favorite boards simply because you never see it for sale. It looks awesome run through an upscaler to VGA(via my supergun).

Last edited: