Was there more than 1 color for an MVS cart in the same region?

I've seen different colors of the same game, so I was wondering if it means that they are bootlegs or something.

Is there like a list somewhere of thee legit releases?

SSS

neo retired
All MVS carts released by SNK were transparent. Carts were then painted in the field by the major arcade distributors. The largest during most of the 90's was Vektorlogical. They painted their carts black. Oddly enough, it was done by hand with krylon fusion gloss black. SNK did distribute some games themselves which is why some carts are the untouched clear. Late 90's games like garou and early 2000s like rotd are painted puke green, as this was Apple Industries trade color. Granny apple green was the factory paint code.

Last edited:
All MVS carts released by SNK were transparent. Carts were then painted in the field by the major arcade distributors. The largest during most of the 90's was Vektorlogical. They painted their carts black. Oddly enough, it was done by hand with krylon fusion gloss black. SNK did distribute some games themselves which is why some carts are the untouched clear. Late 90's games like garou and early 2000s like rotd are painted puke green, as this was Apple Industries trade color. Granny apple green was the factory paint code.

Same deal with Japanese game?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Color doesn't mean much. At one point I had like 4 or 5 kof 97 carts, and they were every color of the rainbow. I think at least one of them was a replacement case, and one of them was a Korean version, but they all had legit boards.

*edit* samshosensei, I had no idea about any of that, it's good to still be learning after all these years.

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
Yeah, oddly though snk had some weird deal with vektorlogical. Games were sent from from SNK to vktrlgcl's plant in burbank CA for painting, then those carts meant for JP release were sent back over to Japan for distribution.

Yeah, oddly though snk had some weird deal with vektorlogical. Games were sent from from SNK to vktrlgcl's plant in burbank CA for painting, then those carts meant for JP release were sent back over to Japan for distribution.

Do you think this one is legit?

P1830255.JPG