Too much expensive shit

omegasit

Crossed Swords Squire
If you are in a tight spot and you need the money to survive, then by all means sell your stuff. In the end it's just stuff. If you are not hurting for money then you got to decide if in the end you can live without it. I regret getting rid of things sometimes. There is a reality though where I know for a fact I will never go back and play certain things, in those cases it wouldn't really be a terrible loss. If there is any type of attachment to it then keep it.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Yep, this has promoted my slow selloff of the majority of by game collection. Although for me it has more to do with clutter than money, although it's nice having extra money to use for paying down debts.

I'm with old mate Gohan (and his mom), it's more the clutter factor than the money. I get physically ill when I see people with walls and walls of games. The older I get the less clutter I want.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I sold my Burning Crotch mvs cart to bubba for $15 shipped. I ripped him off, I think.

Bonga7

Zero's Secretary
I started writing down how much I paid for my games a mere 5 years ago and yeah the prices have skyrocketed. For example, I got AES MS3 jp for $280 back in May 2010 and Money Idol Exchanger (April 2013) with orig Jp label for $105.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
16679235669_a8d8dbd137_b.jpg

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
It's worst if you are just starting to collect. I recently won a NEO GEO AES off from ebay for $150 about two months ago thinking that it was such a good deal. The problem is that I only have one game for the system. And all the most popular games that I wanted to play on the system cost and arm and a leg. And the expensive games is not only limited to neo geo, nes and snes can be expensive too. I still want to have a retro gaming collection but it will take a longer time to acquire it.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
You know, right now isn't the best time to be buying Neo Geo games. You know when a worse time will be? Every time in the near future. Retro gaming culture is exploding right now. NES, SNES prices are nearly fully saturated, Genesis titles mostly looked over a few years ago are now getting much more attention then they used to. $300+ for a complete copy of MUSHA? No thanks...

These are all prices on systems that have flash carts already. IMO it's only a matter of time until more people start analyzing the Neo market with some more publicity and prices start to soar even higher. AES is already a lost cause for all but the elite, but with the convenience of the CMVS market and game prices which grow ever closer to what they're already paying for existing systems? You can bet this is only the beginning.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
The older I get the less clutter I want.

TRUTH. I'm now constantly walking around my house trying to decide what else can I can throw away. At a certain point last year I found that I had 37 cups in my cupboard.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I'm very familiar with another collector hobby called magic and know very well what happens when the game gets more popular and more people start to get into the game. Seems like the same thing is happening with retro gaming and like many have said, it will only start to get worse from here on out.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I feel the pain with all these prices. I kept quite a few retro games from my childhood and started to collect a bit more for my Dreamcast on and off since 2011. I'm not a massive collector and only tend to buy games that I personally really want to actually play whereas some people buy anything for the sake of collecting. After selling my gaming PC off 12 months ago I picked up a few more retro bits and started to get more into the hobby, nostalgia is a powerful thing and I always wanted a Neo so got a an Omega CMVS last year. But yeah, prices are becoming more and more difficult to stomach at the moment, I live in the UK and MVS prices are pretty steep here, in fact since I favour 60Hz NTSC games in general I have to import a lot which in turn adds to the price. 50Hz PAL games are just meh :(

I can't stand clutter in my house so I am limiting which games I buy and am happy to stick to a small set of games for just a few consoles so I guess I'm not too bad off I guess, still £200.00 for a boxed Chrono Trigger is a tough one to justify but I NEED that game!!!

I guess I'm at a stage where I only want a handful more games for my SNES, sadly Chrono Trigger is on that list which commands a high price and the MVS games I'm after are creeping up as well.

statix138

Crossed Swords Squire
Once retro games and collecting got trendy the sharks showed up and smelled the blood in the water. I used to really enjoy this hobby and I still do but resellers and flippers have destroyed a lot of the fun.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
I'm with old mate Gohan (and his mom), it's more the clutter factor than the money. I get physically ill when I see people with walls and walls of games. The older I get the less clutter I want.

I feel quite the opposite. Collector hoarder mentality??? Perhaps. Im forunate to have a larger house where i have plenty of space and living and family rooms where there is no video games, but my favourite place in the house is my basement game area with bookshelves upon bookshelves of games each with stories, memories, fun and it all just oozes nostalgia! Love collecting!

OP i think there is a point though that you are reaching where games are just games, you should sell some of the items you no longer have interest in or know that you wont have another person who wants to play 2player. Keep a few gems you feel you shouldnt part with. Just remember the money from selling your possessions is only temporary and you should look to other means to fill the issue more permanently.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I feel quite the opposite. Collector hoarder mentality??? Perhaps. Im forunate to have a larger house where i have plenty of space and living and family rooms where there is no video games, but my favourite place in the house is my basement game area with bookshelves upon bookshelves of games each with stories, memories, fun and it all just oozes nostalgia! Love collecting!

You're sick. Get help.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I play my games for the most part. I lost most of my games before so not really interested in getting rid of them.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You're sick. Get help.

I agree. Anyone I've met with a house full of shit be it games or old magazines has some sort of problem they're in denial about. Oh well, at least you don't live with them!

Ash Burton

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
It is a rough time to be getting in on the retro gaming scene. Prices are ridiculous. I had a huge SNES collection of mint games, sold them for a Candy Cab. Sold the Candy Cab for a Pinball. Now I just collect pinball machines and arcades. I think about getting back into SNES or another system, but everything is way overpriced versus the value I would achieve by playing these games on the rare occasion. I can talk about old games with friends when they stop by in a much easier fashion by busting out a multi cart and a back issue of Nintendo Power.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
I totally understand, OP.

I'm moving in a couple of months and sadly I am going to have to sell my entire arcade. My parents are getting older and are starting to become too old to take care of their triplex, so they kind of asked me if I wanted to move to one of their apartment, with a mega-deal for the rental price, in exchange of helping them with the maintenance. It's a good deal because the local market is insane right now, it's impossible to buy a house on the main island of Montreal without some SERIOUS amount of money in a non-shit area, or else you get stuck having to move in the outback and its going to take you 2 hours every day to get to work, which is crazy.

So getting an apartment for pretty much 1/3 of the asking price in the premium area where its located in exchange of occasional help is a good deal. And since my parents are getting old, being able to see them as much as I can is well worth it. We had a few deaths in the family in the past year and it made me realize that life is very short and precious.

So yeah, i am going to have to sell my 6 cabs, and use the money to buy a CMVS and a supergun for my reg jamma boards.

It's also complicated to store jamma boards in a socially acceptable way, I have an attic wardrobe right now full of them, all packed neatly in their shipping boxes but it still looks ghetto :/

I know that if I sell them, in a couple of years I will get all nostalgic and want to buy them back, but the prices are going to be insane by then.. I regret selling my hundreds of nes and snes carts in the early '00 to pay for courses I had to take. I sold around 200 carts, good quality games (no REALLY rare stuff, but the good games and classics) for about 400$ on ebay and I was happy about that. Lots of them were complete too

:oh_no:

Last edited:

matt5cott

n00b
I recommend sitting on everything that has some special personal or game play value, because if this market doesn't crash in a few years, it might end up being unbuyable.

Absolutely, it's not hard to envisage some of the rarer and popular titles continuing to soar,

Pulstar
TSS
Viewpoint
NITD
MPE

All spring to mind.

My benchmark is always neo turf masters though, and you can still pick that up at a great price so things can't be that bad :lolz:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The only reason NTM hasn't soared is because noobs don't realize how great a golf game can really be.