The Xperia Play, to get or not?

Ukee

Geese's Thug
So for the past couple of months I have been thinking about dropping my current phone plan(boost mobile $55 a month for unlimtied talk, text, and data with no contract) and signing up with at&t to get the Xperia Play. The idea of phone and handheld emulator in one just sounds great but I would be giving up a lot plan wise and will be paying more for at&t ($65+ 450 talk mins, 2 gig data, no text plan with 2 year contract).

Does anyone have the Xperia Play of use to have it? Did you enjoy/hate it? Do you think dropping my current service for a more expencive one is just dumb cause of a phone?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
The Xperia Play is awesome. It completely blows as a phone, though. While it handles emulators fine, and the controls are amazing, it's not a very powerful phone. Sometimes I'll get a text and I'll tap on the icon to read it, and it can take 5-10 seconds to open and display it. A lot of times if I tap the icon twice, it'll say "force close" or "wait." It bothers me so much. So I've decided that when my contract is up that I'm going back to the iphone, and I'll just keep the Xperia play for a portal retro emulator handheld, with the occasional android game that utilizes the awesome controls.

Maybe there will be a new Xperia down the line that's more powerful and will rectify that problem. Until then...stick with a more powerful phone.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
The Xperia Play is still a real cheap phone. I bought mine for $150 and got a $50 rebate. I'm sure you can find a used cheap one just to dick around with, and maybe use with wifi or something.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
the only cool thing about the phone is the gamepad setup on it.. other then that it is complete crap. i'd suggest getting a dual-core 4g phone (bionic or newer, galaxy nexus would be best). much better hardware & can handle more games(even run them better) + the screen size is bigger so on-screen controls aren't that bad. additionally, you can use a ps3 controller(connects via bluetooth) to your phone and play games with that.

p.s. the experia does not play psp games

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
one of my students has one and seems to like it. he's doesn't seem to be well informed when it comes to gadgets/electronics, though.

imo, it's dated hardware and i would suggest to stick with a game boy micro, game boy pocket or game boy advance sp and a flashcart for the time being.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
On screen controls are garbage. When you start connecting controllers to your phone via bluetooth then you're better off just playing on a tv.

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master
I can't speak too authoritatively on the quality of the phone, other than it is nice for games. A friend of mine has the Verizon model, and he's a big "gamer" with no complaints. Truth be told, I'm waiting for a "smart phone" that doesn't have to be charged everyday and doesn't require an obscenely-limited and expensive monthly data plan to own.

But enough about that. If you really want the phone and don't want to do a contract, there may be a way.

If you like the idea of pre-paid and don't want to jump onto AT&T or Verizon in order to get the phone, (I hear AT&T is now the exclusive Xperia Play vendor?) you might consider going with one of the MVNOs that piggy-back off of AT&T's network. You might be asking "What the hell is a MVNO?" It's a Mobile Virtual Network Operator, a group that buys access to one of the big four's networks and resells the access. Boost is a MVNO that buys network access from Sprint. Since you're on Boost, you're really on Sprint.

Now it's a matter of finding an AT&T MNVO. You could try to find a cheap used GSM (read:AT&T) Xperia Play and then get a SIM from a MVNO on AT&T. Keep in mind that you won't get the latest and greatest in data availability, but that's OK since the XP is a 3G phone. It also sounds like you'll be playing more games than using the internet. Here's a list from Wikipedia that you can filter by provider. Just be sure to choose a provider with access to their 3G network if you have any intention of using the internet on your phone.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: When you find an AT&T-branded phone, you might have to unlock it to get it to work with a MVNO. I say 'might' because I've read instances of people using AT&T-locked iPhones on H2O before, but I've never seen it done myself. Something else to think about.

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
one of my students has one and seems to like it. he's doesn't seem to be well informed when it comes to gadgets/electronics, though.

imo, it's dated hardware and i would suggest to stick with a game boy micro, game boy pocket or game boy advance sp and a flashcart for the time being.

*Head explodes.*

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Wes is right

i like mine but it annoys me at times too

but in the end i can play NES Ninja Gaiden with physical controls on my phone so that makes up for the mediocre actual smart phone performance

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
I really enjoy the phone, but cannot stand the LACK of space. Internal space is less than a gig, and the sd card that comes with it is only a 7gb. You would think they would have been smarter about that. If you get a bigger sd card, you should be fine though. I really enjoy Dead Space for it (which I think you can still get it for free) and tons of other games/emulators.

Ukee

Geese's Thug
CrackerMassiah you are the man! I took a look at that list and I might be able to get a great deal (at least compared to what At&t was charging) to set up the XP with Red Pocket. I am seriously going to take a deep look into this option.

Phone wise for the most part part this the XP will be an upgrade for me, I have been using an entry level smartphone so any thing is an upgrade really.

Last edited:

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master
CrackerMassiah you are the man! I took a look at that list and I might be able to get a great deal (at least compared to what At&t was charging) to set up the XP with Red Pocket. I am seriously going to take a deep look into this option.

Phone wise for the most part part this the XP will be an upgrade for me, I have been using an entry level smartphone so any thing is an upgrade really.

Glad to be of service. Although when I thought about what you've already got - $55 for unlimited everything - that's not a bad deal. But, if you were to go to Red Pocket and didn't like it, at least you'd have the option of going back. You might be able to flip the XP in the process if you don't like it.

I'd just read up on what people are saying about Red Pocket first, then if I liked what I saw, then run to Craigslist for a cheap XP. Heck- maybe even trade something towards it.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
I briefly had the Verizon version when it came out. As a phone, it blows. For games and emulators, it's awesome! Don't expect much from the Playstation Certified bullshit though. The only PS1 game that was available was Crash Bandicoot, and I had the phone maybe 2 or 3 weeks and never saw a new PS1 game. Just a bunch of crap games that were "optimized" for Xperia Play.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
solution: n-gage.

the taco phone :lolz:

Classic_Nokia_N_Gage.jpg

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
*Head explodes.*
why?

sony just split from sonyericsson, tegra 3 powered phones will be released soon enough and the games that are currently available on the android market really aren't worth it.
a gba sp for example has games that are just as good as (if not better than) emulated snes games, isn't that big and has a much better battery life. would probably be a lot less expensive, too.

i say wait for the tegra 3 and see if it'll be able to emulate dreamcast games. now that sony makes it's own phones it should be easier for them to come out with an updated version of the xperia play. besides ... their new phones that they showed at ces look much better, too.

i can't imagine that ... or why ... anyone would want to sign a 2 year contract now and be stuck with an xperia play as his main phone until early 2014. or maybe i'm just missing something?

Ukee

Geese's Thug
i can't imagine that ... or why ... anyone would want to sign a 2 year contract now and be stuck with an xperia play as his main phone until early 2014. or maybe i'm just missing something?

Nah, I am just one of those guys that gets in over his head sometimes.