The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers by John Szczepaniak

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Thanks to a member here, I discovered a kickstarter project about what the title says. Basically is a book (and dvd) made from interviews to vip in the old japanese game developer market. I funded it and asked the promoter if he had SNK already on his schedule. Obviously yes, but afaik just interviews with Takashi Nishiyama and Akihiko Ureshino and trying to get hold of Toshiaki Mori.

The interviewer is open to suggestions.
Who else do you consider it would be interesting to interview?

As some of you know, I've spent some months looking for protos without luck (just having one in-hand without further possibilities). Don't you think this could be an opportunity to ask directly to someone that could lead to find the location-test cartridges or the code directly on a lost and dusty desk?

suggestions...

Last edited:

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
As there's not much interest in the unrelated section, I'll post here

The project has been finally founded. I'm in and asked the promoter if he had SNK already on his schedule. Obviously yes, but afaik just interviews with Takashi Nishiyama and Akihiko Ureshino and trying to get hold of Toshiaki Mori.

The interviewer is open to suggestions.
Who else do you consider it would be interesting to interview?

As some of you know, I've spent some months looking for protos without luck (just having one in-hand without further possibilities). Don't you think this could be an opportunity to ask directly to someone that could lead to find the location-test cartridges or the code directly on a lost and dusty desk?

suggestions?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If possible, Kawasaki. Probably not a developer but would be interesting to hear. What is the name of that girl from Noise Factory?

6tusBeckmesser

Mr. Big's Thug
What I did find interesting about the kickstarter campaign was its slow funding. It only started to roll during the last 3 days. And considering that video games should be pretty widespread now, very few seem to be interested in preserving the history of them.

Then again a book isn't a conversation starter.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That's how a lot of kickstarters work, last 3 days gets the most activity.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Glad to see that it worked out at the end.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
John Szczepaniak says:

I'll do my best! No promises on Eikichi Kawasaki though. He almost never gives interviews, to anyone.

too much secrets to keep

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Imagine if he agreed to an interview and said there were 30,000 copies of Metal Slug homecarts, there would be a huge change in perceived value of the game. XD

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
XD
There's one backer that is focused on SNK, but my feelings about that are mixed. He just propose those two guys to interview? really?

I just can't help to think this could be a good chance to get some info about unreleased titles.

Bacon Taffy

Banned
Imagine if he agreed to an interview and said there were 30,000 copies of Metal Slug homecarts, there would be a huge change in perceived value of the game. XD

Somebody needs to find out actual sales figures for games like metal slug, terrible star sprites, ninja masters, and other high dollar games. Some might not be as rare as we think... That would be interesting.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
being realistic, what's more important: to know just a sale number of an already known released game, or to unveil any data of hidden projects?
Anyways the final sales of AES carts does not matter today, it would not change its value nor the frequency they show up on sale/auction.

As SuperGun said many times, ANY data leading to a proto game is absolutely valuable. If John could take this opportunity interviewing real SNK developers, and ask for some data that at the end of the day would lead to finally find a proto game, it would be amazing.

Maybe I'm alone in this thinking, but IMO getting new-unreleased-but-real SNK developed games is a must for the community and the preservation of the game itself. The more time passes, the more chances to lose jewels by accident or natural disasters.