the cdz

neoluva2001

Quiz Detective
ok, Im sure it was covered already but I need some info.Im thinking of getting one and I was wondering what some opinions were of the system overall.I have a mvs but I wont be able to play it as often as I like now because Im putting it in my friends store.So Im looking into the cdz...Also I have the opertunity to get one with 9 games for 300.What do you think about deal?there mostly older tittles.thank you

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
I don't mean to be a downer, but the CDZ isn't much different from the first Neo CD system...

The sad fact of the matter is that to get the true Neo gaming experience you either have to go Homecart or MVS....

I mean the CDZ isn't bad, but it is just too slow...

I have the Home cart system and I couldn't be happier, it's just that the experience is so pure. So... perfect, in a Neo purist sort of way.

But, my dear neoluva, it is a damn sight better to go CDZ than going to Saturn or PS1...

The DC ports aren't bad, but they are FAR too few...

Maybe IF MOTW comes out on DC....

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
People are way to down on the Saturn and DC ports. I think they are great and compare very well.

That peice isn't bad but like the others have said I would try to track down a Home Cart System and an !Arcade! converted to keep the costs down. Good luck on whatever choice you make.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Stay away from any and all Neo Geo CD units.The CDZ is not mechanically sound.When it starts to malfunction who are you going to getto repair it for you?? Where can you purchase a lens?? Where can you purchase spare parts?
The only options for you are HOME or MVS.
I personally would choose the emulator over the CD system.
Some people will be upset by my comments but they'll understand them when their CD system starts malfunctioning and they have nowhere to turn.
-BB

neoluva2001

Quiz Detective
thanks everyone,big bear I didnt really even consider the whereout facter!yeah I already have a dc and ps2.I like the dc ports.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
I don't know bear. I only use my neo cd for a few games.

Iron clad
Twinkle star sprites

and

metal slug 1 and 2

I play the cd only games every once in awhile like CS 2, SSRPG, neo cd special, adk sepcial and the like but not that often.

I know everyone says they are plagued with problem but I have not had many problems with them. I know I sold you one and I am assuming over time it went bad from your comment.

I think out of all of them the front loading model is built to last. Unfortunitly it is only Japanese. Can not figure out how to do a language mod on it.

Anyway they are fairly cheap you can get a neo cd for $100-$150 now days so why try to fix it, just buy another one
smile.gif

with that said of course my neo cart system has never gone bad. well unless you count the PS.

Lord Akidadus

Fio's Quartermaster
The CD and CDZ systems load so SLOW, you can't tell a difference. Try playing last blade 2. AHHHHHHH it takes the fun out of the game. Stick with a home cart system. Although baseball stars 2 is so fun on CD
smile.gif

K

KiddragoN7676

I've got a normal neo cd with 22 games i've had it well over 2 years now and i have'nt had 1 problem with it!!yeah the loadings bad but only on the KOF games really!!anything else and your flying!!especially early games like wind jammers,baseball satrs 2,double dragon,kof 94 these games have just one load at the beggining and minor loads all the way through
smile.gif
i think its great if u want to play neo and don'thave the money or just want games like MS cheap!!A few games are goin up in price but nothin really to shout about the rarest games are Pulstar,brikinger,breakers,zintricks,ninja masters(which i have seen for 120 pounds) + some others...the only one i have out of them is NM and it sux on cd(no BG animation)!!if i was u get it its cheaper then gettin a home machine and carts and a supergun and MVS carts just stay away from KOF games and u'll be fine!!!

Laterz!!!

rickr2.gif

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
You know if I came across a CD system in my travels I would snap it up in a second.I will clean up my statement by saying a Neo Geo CD system should not be your PRIMARY way to play Neo Geo because for me it really served a GOOD purpose.I was able to check out games mentioned by Big Bruno that I would have a hard time or not getting a hold of in ROM format like Twinkle Star Sprites(LUV IT!),(that overhead soccer game,what is it called? 5on5?) I loved that soccer game! I think it's the best one,even though I've logged many hours on Soccer Brawl until it became too easy.
The CD system deserves a place here like any other format but just to be on the safe side I'd keep a cart system in the closet...you don't want to go through withdrawal or anything
smile.gif

-BB

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Posted by neobuyer
I mean the CDZ isn't bad, but it is just too slow...

Patients is a virtue, Daniel-San! Sorry, I had to say it!
biggrin.gif

------------------
rbsterry.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!
http://neonews.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by NeoLord (edited April 14, 2001).]

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
I'd rather use an MVS 1-slot than the Neo-Geo CD/CDZ myself.

Some Neo-CD versions suffer from cut animation and long load times. The home cart is "the real deal", but the prices are higher than MVS versions.

A GW HGA system with the MVS 1-slot is my way.

gameoverdude.jpg
www.gameoverdude.com
jackal.jpg

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The home cart is "the real deal", but the prices are higher than MVS versions.
MVS is the real "real deal". First to the arcades,then to the home cart system and finally to CD was the order of release.
I'm telling you ,now that I have these cases I can collect them all and neatly place them in a library.Just like I used to collect the CD's way back!
-BB