Supply chain issues

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Do you notice a supply chain shortage of item or things that are normally available ?

Starting to see a longer delay on item and parts locally and some are completely out of stock and with 1+ month time frame for restock ..

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Ports have been piling up for a while. I'm normally the guy who does his Christmas shopping on Dec 23rd, but this year I already ordered almost everything already because of real and also potential further supply chain fuckery.

Electronics wise parts shortages have been a bitch for a while with no end in sight. Prices on basic shit like copper wire are spiked too.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I haven't experienced too much, yet, but, there's certainly a lot of talk. Sure, I understand that there are real supply chain issues, but, this time of year, I'm also skeptical about how much of it is actually happening and how much of it is an attempt to drive bigger holiday sales through fear. I've been ordering a lot of shit this month, but, M orders a lot of shit every month. 😂

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've only experienced issues with stuff I want but don't need. Next month will be 1 full year I've been on a evga waiting list for a gpu but who cares about that. A few weeks ago my wife went to shoprite and they were out of milk and eggs but Costco still had a small supply left.

I hear from contractors that the price of wood has sky rocketed and some special items like custom doors etc that would usually take like 2 weeks to get are now taking 6 months to a year.

Prices on used cars have gone up and supposedly there are a shit ton of brand new cars sitting in lots because of the semiconductor chip shortage.

So its definitely having a impact in certain markets.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Other than the initial pandemic panic buying it's been good. Back to normal at least with everyday goods. Postal services are backed up big time but still working pretty well considering. Other than higher prices on imported goods like anything tech I can't say I've been hit much at all.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
There a supply shortage in the trades for some parts and materials. As most of these are made in China . Some are saying the cost going up on it as shipping containers cost has risen 200-300%

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Prices on used cars have gone up and supposedly there are a shit ton of brand new cars sitting in lots because of the semiconductor chip shortage.
I know this probably sounds ignorant but - why would semiconductors cause new cars to be available?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I know this probably sounds ignorant but - why would semiconductors cause new cars to be available?
Supposedly it has to do with the onboard computers in the car. The center console that has the screen and all the shit you could do like Navi and Bluetooth. I heard BMW was releasing cars at a discount without the onboard computer.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Wait so you mean said new vehicles are immobile because of this?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

Yup. Ford has lots of brand new vehicles with on board computers that don't work. So there just sitting there waiting for chips.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
At work we can't get disposable patient shorts. They must all be stuck in a container.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I just remembered that Amazon sent me a big long email about this, on the 17th, and they seem to be planning ahead well.
Screenshot_2021-11-20-13-51-34.pngScreenshot_2021-11-20-13-51-24.png
According to the tracking, a couple of packages I ordered from a Chinese business last week already arrived at a USPS shipping partner in New Jersey yesterday; that's pretty good speed for the distance. The company uses courier logistics and I believe it came by air, not boat, though.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
more fancy gadgets and the sensors in new vehicles , a friend that brought a new lexus suv was driving it home came to a stop at a traffic and all the dash light came on like a christmas tree , then the car shuts off and went completly dead, call dealership they are sending a flatbed to pick it up . something about sensor and cpus on the car .

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Fun fact: Taiwan makes 60% of the world's semiconductor chips.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Actually they're trying to move away from that and establish a firmer identity as just Taiwan.

I was just trying to see how fast you would reply when I posted some anti CCP shit.

I think also it’s less that Taiwan makes 60% of all semi conductors and more that one single chip fabrication house was producing the overwhelming majority of the worlds chips (TSMC?)

Not sure how that happened (just kidding the answer is: $$$) but definitely a very bad deal for companies and consumers should something go catastrophically wrong.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
TSMC makes all the high end semi conductors...for now. They make some low end stuff too, but it's usually easier to take that business elsewhere.
There are several 100+ billion USD investments to make sure Taiwan isn't the only place capable of producing these chips.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
And they’ll be up and running in the USA in…2024? Better late than never and should prevent this situation from happening again.

Does TI even have an American fab? Remember when Commodore had their own chip fab (MOS)? I guess those days are long gone.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
There are a number of fabs in the US, but they are mostly smaller scale or novel development. I worked with several in Texas for a technology we commercialized.

edit: this is not my area of expertise, but we do utilize TSMC among others to make the same product.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
There are a number of fabs in the US, but they are mostly smaller scale or novel development. I worked with several in Texas for a technology we commercialized.

edit: this is not my area of expertise, but we do utilize TSMC among others to make the same product.
i think hp and samsung setting up shop in vietnam . Just to show that cheap labours going come back and bite the us in the ass .

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Geopolitiks
Taiwan setting up shop in the US.
Ties tied, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Philippines
Conflict looms.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Ties tied, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Philippines
Thank God. East Asian and Southeastern Asian countries need to unite. Hong Kong has already fallen though.

When would a nuclear war happen?

It is gonna happen one day, right?

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
TSMC makes all the high end semi conductors...for now. They make some low end stuff too, but it's usually easier to take that business elsewhere.
There are several 100+ billion USD investments to make sure Taiwan isn't the only place capable of producing these chips.
Hey, don't forget about Phoenix. They're competitive exporters in the fields of:
1. Murderers wearing a badge
2. Postcards to illiterate grandchildren
3. Semiconductors (Glendale only)