Super Metroid is the best game on the SNES

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
There is definitely something special about super metroid. It's still so good 20+ years later. I replayed it a few years back and it definitely still holds up. I picked up on so many lil things that I didn't notice in the 90s. Hands down my favorite game ever.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Even back in the day it was always up there but playing it again now on the Snes mini alongside the other great games like Super Mario World, Mario kart, Lttp, ff6 etc I think it holds up better 20-25 years later.

Discuss, faggots.

you've played, like what 20 games in the snes library right?

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
It was either super Mario world or final fantasy 2 for me.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Objectively, it just might be. The only thing that comes close is Link to the Past IMHO. FF III and Chrono Trigger are great too but Super Metroid has the edge on replayability.

Btw Devil, thoughts on Final Fight 2 and 3? You said the original is your favorite game of all time.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Objectively, it just might be. The only thing that comes close is Link to the Past IMHO. FF III and Chrono Trigger are great too but Super Metroid has the edge on replayability.

Btw Devil, thoughts on Final Fight 2 and 3? You said the original is your favorite game of all time.

hah, I was recently told that I should give Final Fight 2 more of a shot (was it you ASID?) as mechanically it plays very similar to the first one. and it definitely made me rethink. I need to give it another shot
that said... I think the two new characters are excellent additions to the series - ninja types done right are always a win in my book. but the rest of the aesthetic choices I find almost offensive.
and aesthetics is a massive part of what drew me so into the first game. give me an run down urban setting anytime over colorful exotic locations. Haggar and his ponytail = absolutely pathetic. no blood, a Capcom-Nintendo reimagining of the game the way they did with Ghouls'n Ghosts - only this time it's horrible. to me it has more in common with what Capcom did for SNES/SFC with the Disney games than anything Metrocity related.
the enemy are goofy looking beyond belief. unfortunately I hate what they done with Final Fight here, though as I said earlier I need to play it once more and see if I can't enjoy it purely for the gameplay. but it was a massive letdown.
Final Fight 3 seems to be Capcom's answer to SORII. enuff said. I don't dig it at all. the gameplay is smooth for sure, but it looks like it was made by someone who used to make saturday morning cartoons. they fucked with a very simple formula. horrible
take Capcom's crown jewel, they didn't shit on SF until around IV, so they knew what they where doing - just not on home console apparently.
it's not like they didn't move with the times - think of contemporary games to FF2 on the arcades - by Capcom even.

I am pretty closed minded about this stuff I know, and I apologize sincerely. but Final Fight for the Super Famicom (with Cody or Guy) is the best home console fighting game ever made by a long shot, period. hah.
I love SOR/Bare knuckles series, Turtles in Time and Double Dragon (up to DDII) btw.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Post your wife or I will ban you wobbleboards...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Top 5 for sure, maybe even top 3, but I'd rank others above it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I agreed with Devil, I played it shortly at a friend's house when I was like 8, got bored.

Regret not getting this and playing it when I got older, because I like SotN.

Kid post your top 5 list.

Last edited:

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
This is a hard decision for me friendo, say what you want about super metroid its a great fucking game but I think Mother 2, or Link to the past might steal its thunder a tad in popularity.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
This is a hard decision for me friendo, say what you want about super metroid its a great fucking game but I think Mother 2, or Link to the past might steal its thunder a tad in popularity.
I would put Mother 2 very high on my own list, but I only beat it last year I think so nostalgia wouldn't have any say in the matter.

I own Super Metroid, and my waifu even bought me a Super Metroid shirt in the style of the Super Famicom art, but I have never played it.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I've never seen so many people spell secret of mana wrong so many times.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I agreed with Devil, I played it shortly at a friend's house when I was like 8, got bored.

Regret not getting this and playing it when I got older, because I like SotN.

Kid post your top 5 list.
Brutal: Paws of Fury
3 Ninjas Kick Back
Barkley Shut Up And Jam
James Pond 3: Operation Starfish
Super Metroid

Special shout out to Shaq Fu

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I think most of those are pretty obvious. James Pond 3 sometimes gets overshadowed by the original, but has better mechanics.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
SMW is a great game, but it's light entertainment. You play it when you just want to shut your brain off.

Super Metroid is more engaging. Nothing touches the atmosphere of that game.

I think Super Metroid is a better game overall, and difficulty wise SMW is not hard, but spending hours dicking with that cape was ridiculously fun. I had the SNES preview book and it went over all the shit you can do with the cape, and I had to master it all

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
hah, I was recently told that I should give Final Fight 2 more of a shot (was it you ASID?)

Well, not exactly. You made a post saying something along the lines of both FF2 and FF3 being bad and more of the same thing (if I remember correctly). I did say that while FF2 tried to adhere to the formula of the first SNES FF, FF3 distinguishes itself through an attempt to implement a more "modernized" engine with it's special moves, supers etc.

While I enjoy both titles for what they are, they're both obviously leagues below Capcom's arcade standards for sure. I just think FF3 deserves credit for it's ambition (something FF2 lacked), despite missing the mark.

You don't seem to care for the gimmicks present in FF3. These gimmicks aren't in FF2, so it might be worth your while to give the game another shot. Still, FF2 is a dull game, especially when compared to 3.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Well, not exactly. You made a post saying something along the lines of both FF2 and FF3 being bad and more of the same thing (if I remember correctly). I did say that while FF2 tried to adhere to the formula of the first SNES FF, FF3 distinguishes itself through an attempt to implement a more "modernized" engine with it's special moves, supers etc.

While I enjoy both titles for what they are, they're both obviously leagues below Capcom's arcade standards for sure. I just think FF3 deserves credit for it's ambition (something FF2 lacked), despite missing the mark.

You don't seem to care for the gimmicks present in FF3. These gimmicks aren't in FF2, so it might be worth your while to give the game another shot. Still, FF2 is a dull game, especially when compared to 3.

Ah gotcha. Old age. This tinker. Needs oiling.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

i dont see how Super Metroid is that replayable. It's mostly linear progression, with 3 hours of gameplay when you know everything.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Metroid on the snes is a classic definately a top 5 snes hall of famer,
I do have a soft spot for fusion and zero mission on the GBA as well, fab games.