Strange problem with a NeoGeo CD top loader...

Hi, folks! It's my first post here and, unfortunately, it's about a crazy error...

I'm a newbie in NeoGeo "fixes".
Ehr... A complete "noob" about electronics and just curious around some easy non-complex fix...

I bough a NeoGeo CD from a friend, the console has some fixes made by him years ago and I saw the console working... When I bought it a couple years, it's already broken.

I changed the optical lens for a brand "new" one bought from China (the original one was broken and I coudn't fix it), the console starts to read cds, but I notice some other stranger things...

The console just begins to read CDs after 10/ 15 minutes with power on (after "heats" the console... I had a Saturn with opposite problem: when it heats, the optical unit stops working).

After heats, it reads and recognizes a game or audio CD, but when the audio is streamed, it is randomly interrupted and the optical unit make a odd noise. After some seconds it resumes playback.

When in game, it's possible to hear the same optical unit random noise (it differs from usual laser optical movements), and sometimes some "audio pops" can be heared during loading screens... causing some random I/O errors 02 and resetting console or freezing in error.

During gameplay, the audio interrupts is random too...

The audio cds utilized in tests are in excellent conditions and the games are original old ones, but (mostly) in very good shape, without rots or significant scratches. CDRs brand new was utilized too, without result changes.

The laser optical board controller was recaped with brand new transistors and the errors continues...

I've made a video with my cellphone very close to console, and it's possible to hear the strange interrupt noises from optical unit, during audio stream.

Someone has a problem like this?
Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The cheap replacement lasers often are not properly adjusted, but even if so, you still need to make adjustments to some potis:

TBH I'd recommend a NeoSD Loader anytime over a "new laser", the drive can stay and will be as just functional or not as in this case.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I don't really trust replacement lasers in general. It could also be a mechanical issue, not related to the laser/lens.