SOTM June 2016: Dogyuun

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
315ireq.jpg

Default settings (3 lives, normal difficulty)

Score Board
Code:
     Name  -   Score    - Stage  - System

1  chempop - 2,660,040 -   9-4    -  PCB
 1  Jeneki  - 1,084,130 -   4-4    -  Mame 
 2  _rm_    -   773,240 -   4-9    -  PCB

Gotta love the Engrish on this flyer :keke:

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Just tried the game out of mame - didn't come very far - it seems everytime I pick up a powerup I get 5000 Points but no increase in power, I can pickup "sidekicks" that do nothing (except if I have the blue laser) and hitting button C Releases them and they are gone, Need to read a Manual before picking that up again ;)

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
You get different weapons, but they don't powerup. In fact, all the weapons in this game basically suck.

There are 2 different add-ons to your ship:
1)A one use bomb
2) other allows you to move fast VERY FAST (and also gives you little bits that add protection iirc, and shoot lasers only with blue shot)

Like you said, both can be dropped, which is only used in rare situations when you'd want to drop the speed item, grab and immediately usea bomb, and then pick up the speed item before it floats off screen.

Looking forward to seeing some stage 3 scores :snack:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Oh you can milk stage 3, I'm going for stage 4 counter stop. :keke: (well, maybe not)

But yea let's get some scores going.

Dogyuun_Jeneki_1084130.jpg

Jeneki - 1,084,130 - Stage 4 - Mame

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
You get different weapons, but they don't powerup. In fact, all the weapons in this game basically suck.

There are 2 different add-ons to your ship:
1)A one use bomb
2) other allows you to move fast VERY FAST (and also gives you little bits that add protection iirc, and shoot lasers only with blue shot)

Like you said, both can be dropped, which is only used in rare situations when you'd want to drop the speed item, grab and immediately usea bomb, and then pick up the speed item before it floats off screen.

Looking forward to seeing some stage 3 scores :snack:

Thx for the hints chem

Chempop

I'm going for stage 4 counter stop. (well, maybe not)

I considered it, but then realized I don't want dogyuun screen burn in my astro :lolz:
Although I suppose I could disconnect the monitor for however many days it takes :scratch:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
0002.png

BerryTogart - 145.740 - Stage 2 - Mame

I'm not very good that far. Not being a shmup expert or very experienced I have a very hard time with the colorfulness of this game and the parallax scrolling, that my own shots (red) bounce back sometimes for no appearant reason I can identify doesn't help either. I will echo Chempop on the sentence "the weapons do all suck" - choosing what "sucks the least" I'm tied between the red "90 degree madness laser shots" and the "green split laser". What's even worse I sometimes have a "Ghosts and Goblins" situation where I die because I frenetically try to dodge picking up a power up that shows blue at the moment I pass it :)

Not saying I don't enjoy the game generally, the soundtrack is (at least in the stages I have been to) simple and easy going, quite nice, graphics are nicely done.

Chempop

This game takes time to get used to, it's very unorthodox. Use the blue laser and speed-up upgrade. Green and Purple have specific uses much later in the game. The red homing is also good in a number of sections, but like you said, sometimes it goes after the wrong enemies and you're fucked.

I probably give the soundtrack an 8/10 and graphics 10/10 (one of my favorite looking shmups of all time).

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
I use the red homing laser for the most part. Tooth paste laser FTW :buttrock:

It would be cool if you could point the best weapons for each boss, i know specific weapons make some fights a lot easier.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Red seems good enough for the stage 1 boss. At the very edge of the screen, the opposite arm is just off-screen enough not to shoot (although it's hard to stay there when the close arm is also shooting).

For the stage 2 boss, blue and green can repel the Guyver chest laser long enough to get away. I have yet to beat it with red.

Stage 3 boss makes me move around a lot so anything should work. I try to quick kill the diagonal lasers after the central mega-laser, otherwise they tag me when I move up the screen during a late fight double-boomerang.

Supposedly stage 4 has a safe spot with red but I need more practice to get that far consistently. Only fought it once so far.

Chempop

St1+2 bosses are trivial (just remember that St2 boss is only vulnerable when he's doing his big laser thing, so before and after he shoots it is when you have opportunity to damage him, the rest is dodging). I stick with blue for them in addition to st3 boss.
St3 boss:
For that guy with the boomerangs my strat is to quick kill the left turret first, if you stay far enough left, while continuing to damage it you first boomerang it throws (right side) won't get close enough to you and then you'll destroy it. Then I go to the right side and do the same thing. Just remember whenever it throws a boomerang stay centered and low, and then move straight up, then to the right side and back down. Once you get the hang of dodging them they are trivial. Then go after its main laser. Once that is destroyed it'll start throwing the boomerangs at the same time. Do the same movement I explained, centered low, move up, move to the right and back down. In between tosses it's do a couple bursts of spread shots from each side, hard to dodge it's you've no-missed until this point, if you've died once range will be low enough to dodge them easily. At this point you can each choose to destroy the arms, or just go for the kill.

St4 Boss:
I tend to use the safe spot, but first you need to make sure you have Red homing lasers. Before getting to the safe spot (either top corner of the screen), you'll need to destroy the claws. The boss has three main attacks: lunging it's claws, a green three way, and homing orb thingies from it's tail. Once you get the rhythm of each attack you just need to play safe and defensive by hugging the walls as needed while you chip away with your shots. Once both claws are gone, get to the top corner (I go for the left) and you will notice he gets very close to you, but when he move away, you can just tap right/down far enough for your Red lasers to damage it, then move back to the corner as he approaches and keep repeating this. After killing him with red laser, you will see a pickup 1Up/100,000pts, you get one or the other depending on rotation of the icon, I recommend the 1Up.

St5 Boss
One of the more unique bosses you'll encounter, though they are all pretty amazing. Time for purple laser! The boss is basically a blockade with 2 turrets that shoot a 4-way(?) spread, while 3 panels wiggle their way towards about mid screen. The main threat here is a waterfall that will instantly kill you unless you are directly underneath any one of the panels (so don't destroy them all). Now if you do destroy a panel, which will probably happen here and there since your purple laser will need to be hitting the target (some sometimes those panels are in the way), just make sure you have planned which other panel you'll hide under, each cycle the panels get replaced by new ones, so it's okay if you blow em up. Just remember to STOP SHOOTING when the waterfall is about to come.

St6 Boss
to be continued... (If anyone get's this far I'll be impressed!) :vik:

Last edited:

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
St6 Boss
to be continued... (If anyone get's this far I'll be impressed!) :vik:

.............................................................. :(

My personal goal is to reach Stage 4. Never done it before, but i think i have it in me,lol. Will see...

Last edited:

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
_rm_ - 773,240 - Stage 4 - PCB

2jb8v8n.jpg

What does the number after the stage mean? Jeneki's is "-4" and mine is "-9"?

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
That's how far in the level you got.

Also like to mention if you use green on level 3 boss you get the extend or points. If you do this though you can not get it again on stage 4

Chempop

Yeah, I don't think it correlates exactly to how many checkpoints are in each stage, but it might.
Also worth mentioning is that there is some other Asian version of the game that doesn't have the speed boost upgrade along with some other pretty drastic inferiorities iirc.

I'm not going to have much time to play this month, but will try to get a score that I'm somewhat happy with.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Yeah you definitely want to play the Japan region. If you have a korean or board you can easily change it to JP region with some jumpers

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Yeah you definitely want to play the Japan region. If you have a korean or board you can easily change it to JP region with some jumpers

Good info here. To clarify .... "jumpers" is a technical term. To jumpers your board, simply pour hot coffee or ice cold beer over the heat sink or JAMMA edge respectively. You will hear a chime if the code worked.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member

Regarding the jumper settings, i just wanted to share with you guys what i've done with mine. This way, you can try the different regions and check the differences:

2wgboth.jpg

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Other than the stage 3 bonus zone, are there any other scoring areas or tricks to be aware of?

Chempop

Scoring tricks? it's Toaplan. Shooting things, not dying, getting far are the tricks.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Yeah, I had a stage 5 run (with mediocre stage 3) that unfortunately had less points than a run that ended on stage 3 (with better medalling). Seems to be by far the most important part. At least it isn't Aero Fighters 3 levels of silly, haha.

Maybe I'll try towing aroung an enemy and see how well that adds up over time.

Last edited:

Chempop

Nice man! Stage 5 is where it definitely picks up, remember to get purple laser at the end and fight the boss conservatively.

Stage 6 is where the bats and spiders and crap come in iirc, fun stuff!
I'm away till next week, but I'll be able to give it some credits before the end of the month.

Chempop

It'll be more worthwhile to keep getting speed-boost add ons while you have one equipped, for the 5000 bonus.

Chempop

I'm botching runs at the st6 boss so badly, I don't know why (blame ls-32!). I might need to throw a different stick on this cab if I'm going to try and break 2mil. I was hoping to get to stage 9 again, but it's not looking good.

Waiting on ECZang's score :angry: