SOTM: July 2017...SHIENRYU

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Speed no, power I think so but small bits and really it may just be being at max power, bombs increase it the most other than purple P's from what I can tell.

Thanks, but what about the medals?

On my most recent run I didn't power or speed up more than once, and I think I collected maybe 2 bombs.

If you intentionally didn't address medals, that's cool, this is a competition after all ;)

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I don't know if I'll beat this score and I don't know if I care to. My only advice is always sometimes never get the powerups :lolz:

skate323k137 - 5,652,340 - 6-5 - STV

20170710_014615_HDR.jpg

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
andsuchisdeath - 5,487,680 - 6-8 - saturn

shienryu1.jpg

Not bad for day one, I guess.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Thanks, but what about the medals?

On my most recent run I didn't power or speed up more than once, and I think I collected maybe 2 bombs.

If you intentionally didn't address medals, that's cool, this is a competition after all ;)

Haha sorry, I've been calling them flags in my head for no reason whatsoever, thought you meant the S & P's. Regardless, I don't think they change the rank either.

The blue ones are worth 10 reds, so if you're in a pinch and can't pick em all up grab any blues first.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Haha sorry, I've been calling them flags in my head for no reason whatsoever, thought you meant the S & P's. Regardless, I don't think they change the rank either.

The blue ones are worth 10 reds, so if you're in a pinch and can't pick em all up grab any blues first.

Yeah, they really are flags. I just went with the generic medals.

Thanks.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Damn. Nice run andsuchisdeath. What was your primary weapon? Also what is this rank everyone talks about? I guess a stupid question since I have had this game for 20 years. I should know. Does not grabbing P and S icons affect your end level rank?

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Damn. Nice run andsuchisdeath. What was your primary weapon? Also what is this rank everyone talks about? I guess a stupid question since I have had this game for 20 years. I should know. Does not grabbing P and S icons affect your end level rank?

A common thing in many shmups, essentially the better you're doing the harder the game gets. So when we try to control rank we are essentially tricking the game into thinking we aren't doing as well.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Thanks. The plan was to stick with lightning the whole time, but I did get stuck with the missiles for a little bit on stage 5. Went back to lightning for the rest.

You've never heard anyone talk about rank on this forum before??

The_Chosen_One summed it up pretty well.

Well, there could be quite a few games you may want to revisit now with your newfound rank awareness!

Last edited:

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
I always played this game with the goal of maxing out shotgun and memorizing when to get in close. Never really cared for lighhtning shot, I'll have to give it a 2nd look.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
andsuchisdeath - 6,649,480 - 7-5 - saturn

shienryu4.jpg

Didn't make it to the boss this time, ughhhhh I love rank

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
^ I don't think there is a 9 or 10.

I reached the mid-boss/pre-final boss, killed him and was killed by his green suicide laser.

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
That green laser is why I will never 1cc this game. Congrats both of you on those scores! I will have to practice more this weekend. On another note I was not grabbing power or speed ups and right near the beginning of stage 2 a purple P icon showed up. In about 5 seconds it started spitting out power ups bombs and speed ups in a circular motion. No idea what triggered that. I also can only replicate 1 1up on stage 3 half the time.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
^ I don't think there is a 9 or 10.

I reached the mid-boss/pre-final boss, killed him and was killed by his green suicide laser.

Weird, look at my score pic (I know it's crappy and tough to see) but the time I credit fed it with my son 6 or so scores down it listed it as stage 10-1

I assumed stage 9 was midboss guy and 10 was final boss

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Weird, look at my score pic (I know it's crappy and tough to see) but the time I credit fed it with my son 6 or so scores down it listed it as stage 10-1

I assumed stage 9 was midboss guy and 10 was final boss

Well, I could be wrong. It would just seem inconsistent with the game if they partitioned a single stage (final boss) into 8, 9 ,10, especially due to the notation of sections of stages with those secondary numbers.

The game loops, so I'd imagine those 9's and 10's are 2-1-x's, and 2-2-x's respectively. Hopefully one of us will be lucky enough to find out first hand.

Last edited:

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Well, I could be wrong. It would just seem inconsistent with the game if they partitioned a single stage (final boss) into 8, 9 ,10, especially due to the notation of sections of stages with those secondary numbers.

The game loops, so I'd imagine those 9's and 10's are 2-1-x's, and 2-2-x's respectively. Hopefully one of us will be lucky enough to find out first hand.

I bet you're right I didn't think about that, it's probably the looping

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Not my best score, but to be honest my best score isn't a whole lot better...
NERDtendo - 1,686,630 - 3-3 - ST-V

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
small improvement over the last weekend...

Neodogg - 2,016,180 - 3/5 - Saturn

Guy at work was getting rid of this 27" Zenith which I took so I could tate, doesn't look too bad via s-video...

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
andsuchisdeath - 8,870,410- 9-3 - Saturn

shienryuscore.jpg

I'm pretty happy getting this clear.

I think I've owned the game for about 8 years and wouldn't consider playing it
because I thought it was "too hard". Surprise!

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
Congrats! I have been taking a break from it cause it was starting to frustrate me. I find I play better when I let it take a back seat for a bit then come back to it. Did you ever find the 2up extend when trying these runs?