2. Chosen One - 6,594,960 - 7-5 - STV
3. skate323k137 - 5,652,340 - 6-5 - STV
4. Beelzebub - 4,600,330 - 5-7 - Saturn
5. geise - 4,574,900 - 5-9 - Saturn
6. suicidekiller - 3,798,120 - 5-8 - Saturn
7. NERDtendo - 3,152,520 - 4-6 - STV
8. ShootTheCore - 2,302,410 - 3-5 - STV 
9. Neodogg - 2,016,180 - 3/5 - Saturn   

Feel free to share strategies for keeping the rank manageable...

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
Nice! I'll actually try to get in this month. A game I might be able to hang with some around here.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Haven't really played this much. I do like warashi though. I gave it a couple credits and here's where I got.

skate323k137 - 3,399,700 - 5-1 - STV

20170702_002910_HDR.jpg

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Cool, one of the few STGs with a well working co-op mode. You don't disturb each other in 2-player, everything is very precise and superbly visible.

geise

Mickey's Coach
I have always played this on my Saturn since I had it well before MAME. I didn't have my saturn hooked up so decided to give it a go in mame. I noticed when I continued just for practice my score didn't go back to 0. It does it on Saturn. Not sure if there is a way to set this to reset score in the dips if there are any. Think I'll just stick to my saturn version. Just thought I'd share that if people didn't know. I'm sure I'm late to the party on that.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
I have always played this on my Saturn since I had it well before MAME. I didn't have my saturn hooked up so decided to give it a go in mame. I noticed when I continued just for practice my score didn't go back to 0. It does it on Saturn. Not sure if there is a way to set this to reset score in the dips if there are any. Think I'll just stick to my saturn version. Just thought I'd share that if people didn't know. I'm sure I'm late to the party on that.

STV doesn't reset the score either, it does the you get 1 point for continuing thing. I was credit feeding it with my son yesterday, and now I'm gonna have to crack 4 million I think to get a legit high score.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I think I remember reading that rank in this game is tied to the "P" icons, but not necessarily the bomb powerups.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
A little bit of improvement.
Spoiler:

Beelzebub - 4,322,950 - 5-5 - Saturn

4,322,950 - 5-5.png

Update:

Beelzebub - 4,600,330 - 5-7 - Saturn

4,600,330 - 5-7.png

Keep losing my last life on the same spot in 5-7...

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
That is a nice score Beelzebub. Here is mine after two runs. Saturn version with default settings minus arcade orientation.

EDIT: Score Update!

LOL! I didn't notice the update Beelzebub. Nice again! I still trail.

I think I remember reading that rank in this game is tied to the "P" icons, but not necessarily the bomb powerups.

Bomb numbers give extra score at the end of each level. Once you're fully powered up and your speed level is max you get 5k with each one you grab after. Same goes for just grabbing the same type weapon.

Last edited:

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Nicely done so far guys! I'll get to put some time in this weekend.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Never heard of this game till this month, tracked it down for the Saturn. Pretty cool shooter, I like the animations of the planes crashing into the background. I gave it a couple credits over the "We dont' need no Empire" Holiday. I really like that electro-static weapon, not sure if that is the best to use but it works well.

354AF9BB-0C50-4EDD-BB11-9996F7205023.jpg

Neodogg - 1,720,530 - 3/3 - Saturn

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Gave this a try and voilà

suicidekiller - 3,798,120 - 5-8 - Saturn

img_20170706_205628_hbwang.jpg

Great little game that is often mistaken for a Raiden clone (although there are similarities obiously). But it is much more fun as it's a lot easier ;)

Great soundtrack too!

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Chosen One - 4357770 - 6-1 - Jap pcb

28487ee3d77d6867aeac4aca08c11760.jpg

Crappy photo, 2nd place is the score that counts. That first place was me credit feeding with my son

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
Nice score! I had that issue when i was snapping pics on my phone. I set it from manual to auto for everything and it fixed everything. Also, I wonder of there is any difference in scoring between pcb and saturn. Seems like you should have more points making it to 6-1.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Nice score! I had that issue when i was snapping pics on my phone. I set it from manual to auto for everything and it fixed everything. Also, I wonder of there is any difference in scoring between pcb and saturn. Seems like you should have more points making it to 6-1.

It's a bit of a trade off, Vulcan is the stronger weapon and what I used in that run, but it scores much less than the lightning.

I've been very frustrated with the bombs as well, there is a slight delay between the bomb going off and the bullet cancel effect. I've died too many times and watched the bomb animation after I died.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
It's a bit of a trade off, Vulcan is the stronger weapon and what I used in that run, but it scores much less than the lightning.

Interesting fact. I wondered myself why my score is quite low in comparison to geise's and Beelzebub's since they got to about the same point in the game. Do you know how the homing missiles score? My bet would be something in between laser and vulcan.

I've been very frustrated with the bombs as well, there is a slight delay between the bomb going off and the bullet cancel effect. I've died too many times and watched the bomb animation after I died.

Yep, that's quite annoying. Had the same problem several times.

geise

Mickey's Coach
I don't stick to one weapon. I use homing lazer on stage 1, then vulcan on 2, switch back to lazer on 3 cause it's better for the final boss on that round. After that I stick with Vulcan cause there's to much going on for the homing to really make an impact. I also pick up all the speed ups and powers for 5k bonus. I know if you do that you run the risk of enemies not dropping an extend. I still have yet to really know what triggers those 1up and even a 2up. It seems so random.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
I don't stick to one weapon. I use homing lazer on stage 1, then vulcan on 2, switch back to lazer on 3 cause it's better for the final boss on that round. After that I stick with Vulcan cause there's to much going on for the homing to really make an impact. I also pick up all the speed ups and powers for 5k bonus. I know if you do that you run the risk of enemies not dropping an extend. I still have yet to really know what triggers those 1up and even a 2up. It seems so random.

I'm starting to mix it up a bit with the weapons, there's a lot of good going for the lightning, particularly on a bosses. Stage 2 & 3 bosses are both much easier with lightning. It also kills more popcorn enemies you may miss from stage 3 on that starts to add up. Downside, you have to wait for it to finish electrocuting stuff to fire again, Vulcan fires as fast as you can tap which helps a lot in stage 5. Still dodge better and get a higher score is starting to win out for me:

Chosen One - 4666920 - 5-9 - Jap pcb

34e7ef332b6f3ba777946437be6808a6.jpg

geise

Mickey's Coach
Wow! Good run! Do you keep collecting P and S icons when fully powered and get the 5k bonus or do you leave em?

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Wow! Good run! Do you keep collecting P and S icons when fully powered and get the 5k bonus or do you leave em?

I keep collecting them for score. I will pass on the purple P that gives you max power up because one of the shmups threads said it really drops the rank of you skip it.

I try to bomb more too, as I'll stockpile bombs and die with 8 of em. Since there's no limit and they hand em out like candy I'm trying to be a bit more preemptive with them.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Nice score Chosen! I'm definitely going to have to get some more playing in soon. :vik:

Also the purple "P" power up not only gives you full power, but it also gives you a shield that lets you absorb one shot as well. So I always tend to grab it if I can, ! usually don't care about rank too much.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I did two runs, and got to 5-1 and around 3.5 million with
extreme ignorant rank control (I'm going to play a bit more before I post a score.)

Do collecting medals increase rank? I avoided practically all of them.

Last edited:

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
I did two runs, and got to 5-1 and around 3.5 million with
extreme ignorant rank control (I'm going to play a bit more before I post a score.)

Do collecting medals increase rank? I avoided practically all of them.

Speed no, power I think so but small bits and really it may just be being at max power, bombs increase it the most other than purple P's from what I can tell.