SOTM December: Air Buster (aka Aero Blasters)

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
air buster.jpgaero-blasters.jpg

Default settings, auto-fire=OK.

Arcade high scores - Hi-Score format: Player - Score - Stage - Platform
Code:
1. Jeneki - 376,530 - 4

PCE/TG-16 high scores - Hi-Score format: Player - Score - Stage
Code:
1. Jeneki - 208,890,000 - 2-3
2. Neodogg - 14,790,000 - 2 

SEGA Genesis / Mega Drive high scores - Hi-Score format: Player - Score - Stage
Code:
1. oliverclaude - 1,169,000 - ALL
2. Kidpanda - 532,500 - 4
3. wyo - 252,700 - 3
4. Neodogg - 167,000 - 2

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
/thread...

first time playing this game...seems pretty cool, will have to give it some more time. Here is what I was able to do on the Genesis.

Neodogg - 167,000 - phase 2

crWOWrq.jpg

Last edited:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
If you're new to this game, note that holding an attack button charges up the buster (console versions have this on a specific button while on the arcade version either button works) which clears out all bullets and popcorn enemies. Good places to use this: The giant wave of small enemies at the end of stage 1, the high speed section on stage 2 where enemies try to get behind you, and where turrets are on the ceiling/floor behind terrain. It won't clear the stage 2 boss homing missiles though.

Prepare to wtf once you reach stage 4. :D

Special note for the Turbografx version: I suggest not using autofire as you actually shoot faster with it off.

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
Yeah it's been awhile. Stage 4 is where I wtf on the MD version. PC-Engine quite different at stage 2 and to me is a tad harder, so I have no score for that one. I took a shot after I ate shit in stage 4 on the MD version. Will post it later if I can't get anything better or someone posts a score that destroys mine.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Guess I'm the only one playing? Tried the PCE version, some slight pattern differences.

Neodogg - 9,360,000 - phase 2

We7cFoJ.jpg

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Posting for the arcade version.

AirBuster_Jeneki_376530.jpg

Jeneki - 376,530 - 4 - pcb

I'll get a Turbografx score up later, as honestly I prefer that version of the game (button config, music, stage layout, etc).

*edit* Is this game telling me to get stoned?

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
New score...
Kry4fD5.jpg

Neodogg - 14,790,000 - phase 2

Liking the PCE version a little better.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
At what point do you get a 1up?

I had a longer session today, so I can confirm: In the Mega Drive version you get an extend after reaching 200,000 points. You get further extends by collecting "1UP" icons, which seem to appear only during the last stages' moving blocs phase, along with some other weapon and "$" icons, shortly before encountering the last boss. They have fixed positions, i.e. appear always in the same places.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Yeah sorry, I should have specified no 1ups in the PC Engine version as that's what he was posting scores for at the moment. Mega Drive version is closer to the arcade and has the same 1up rules.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
No biggie, you responded right under Neodogg's PCE score, it fit ;). I just wanted to add the MD/Genny info, since Neodogg played that one, too. So, no extends in the PCE version, no wonder it's considered to be the toughest version.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Played a credit tonight, it's been a few years since I played this.

Kidpanda - 532,500 - Stage 4 - MD

yLlbfZk.jpg

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Nice score Panda! You set the bar high, maybe I get lucky today.

Edit:

Here's my score from this evening.

oliverclaude - 865,300 - Stage 6 - Mega Drive

AeroBlasters-Oli-01.jpg

Died during the bit with moving blocks, shortly before the 2 extends appear.
Next time I'll be quick enough to pause the game and make a score pic then.

Last edited:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Yeah now we're talking! That's the home stretch.

Anyone make it to Yellow Label yet?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yeah now we're talking! That's the home stretch.

Anyone make it to Yellow Label yet?

It's very tough, because rank is getting in your way. In the run above I was lucky, because I lost two of my lives right on cue. First before the stage 4 boss, but early enough to catch two power-up containers. Loosing a life there makes the bosses' Simon Belmont whip more gracious. Second life went lost in the 5th stage, shortly before the third container appears. Thus I made it to the boss well equipped, which made him very easy to beat.

You either have to memorize enough to repeat this routine deliberately, or just safely pass the 4th bosses' whipping attacks and 1lc the hole thing up to stage 6, where you could afford to loose a life during the 'moving blocks' phase; there are enough power-ups & extends there, to build up your ship again.

Last boss is a very tough fella and I don't have any (relatively) safe tactic developed, yet. But I also never made there, being fully equipped. Maybe it's not so hard with a fully fledged main weapon. Well, maybe next time ;).

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
In the arcade version you can avoid raising rank by only grabbing secondary weapons and no shot powerups. I don't know if that works in the Mega Drive version.

The final boss is a bit weird with the timing of the homing lasers. Sometimes you can get into a rhythm of using buster attacks to cancel them out over and over, other times it spaces them out and you need to dodge. In the PC Engine version this works consistently and you can fight it like the Ikaruga last boss, just cancelling everything out until you win.

The PC Engine version was my only new game for the summer when it came out, so I probably put in a couple hundred hours back then. I know quite a few safe spots and strategies for the first loop. The second loop is still bullshit though with invincible popcorn enemies.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
In the arcade version you can avoid raising rank by only grabbing secondary weapons and no shot powerups. I don't know if that works in the Mega Drive version.

This could work, but will have to be paid off by increased maneuvering throughout the first four stages up to the whipping boss. I came to the reason, that actually he's the only reason I complain, every other boss is considerably easy with a full powered ship. At high rank, his majority whip is faster and not aiming at you, but aiming for the spot you will be at. Still, I rather try to beat him, than to play with the pea shooter only.

The final boss is a bit weird with the timing of the homing lasers. Sometimes you can get into a rhythm of using buster attacks to cancel them out over and over, other times it spaces them out and you need to dodge.

Yeah, I will definitely try to catch this rhythm... once I get there. But, like I said, once I'll manage to get there fully-fledged, this tactic may become obsolete.

The PC Engine version was my only new game for the summer when it came out, so I probably put in a couple hundred hours back then. I know quite a few safe spots and strategies for the first loop. The second loop is still bullshit though with invincible popcorn enemies.

Now you made me curious. I'll try that one, too.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member

Now you made me curious. I'll try that one, too.

Olli don't be silly, no need to try that one...well at least this year...

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Turbografx time, let's do this!

AeroBlasters3.jpg

Blowing up the end boss.

AeroBlasters1.jpg

And his space station too.

AeroBlasters2.jpg

Finally dying to a blank screen of clouds, lol.

AeroBlasters_Jeneki_208890000.jpg

Jeneki - 208,890,000 - 2-3 - Turbografx

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Finally, I made it, too. One of the finest accomplishments I ever did.

oliverclaude - 1,169,000 - 1CC - Mega Drive

AeroBlasters-Oli-04.jpg

AeroBlasters-Oli-05.jpg

AeroBlasters-Oli-06.jpg

There's no special ending on the Mega Drive, just some lovely engrish ;).

Special thanks goes to Jeneki! Without his motivation & dedication I would simply be too lazy to make it happen. Cheers, mate!!!