SOTM December 2016: OUT ZONE

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
THE SUPER SPACE SNIPER COMES NOBODY CAN SURVIVE

outzone (Mobile).jpg

Rules: 3 lives, extend at every 300k, Medium difficulty; external autofire is allowed. PCB=All dips off.

Post scores in this format: Name | Score | Stage | Auto-fire | Details (Version/PCB/Romset/Emulator)

1. Atro | 2,957, 290 | 157% | Yes | Euro PCB
2. Jeneki | 2,721,140 | 180% | Yes | MAME Set 1
3. Chosen_One | 1,900,160 | 139% | No | US PCB
4. suicidekiller | 1,121,340 | 85% | No | JP PCB
5. wyo_vr4 | 597,010 | 43% | No | JP PCB
6. BerryTogart | 208,930 | 18% | No | MAME Set 1

Last edited:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Time to show some respect for the single greatest plot in the history of video games!

outzone_zpsu7qr29rk.png

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Some info for first time players:

E items are energy. If you look at the top of the screen you'll see a blue bar that slowly goes down. In effect, this is like a time limit so you can't stand around without moving forward. Energy powerups refill this gauge.

C items switch your shot between an aimed shot and a fixed direction three-way. If you get a special weapon like the super ball, picking up a C will lose that special weapon. If you are happy with your current weapon type there's no reason to grab these.

P items are standard powerups and give more firepower.

SP items depend on the color, either giving a longer energy bar, faster movement, super ball weapon, super burner weapon (if you're using autofire turn it off when using super burner or it won't do anything), or a 1-hit shield.

This game gives bombs like candy so use them. Sometimes there will be an enemy you just can't hit; this is a good time to use one. Bombs are worth points at the end of each stage if you want to keep them, but staying alive is more important when you're learning the game.

Take it slow at first. Enemies are triggered by walking up the screen. There are a few areas where it can be beneficial to rush through, but generally speaking slow and careful will win the day.

There are lots of secrets in this game. Some are hard to explain in plain text, but there are a few good youtube videos with comments to point out where these are.

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
First couple of tries to enter the board. Not having played overhead shooters a lot I find it hard to get used to the non-spread shot where you automatically turn fire in the direction you are moving. Might consider looking for a MAME autofire option for convenience.
I like the effect on the start menu where the 2nd soldier joins once you have enough coins in the machine - the music is nice too.

BerryTogart | 208,930 | 18% | No | MAME

0000.png

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Some info for first time players:

E items are energy. If you look at the top of the screen you'll see a blue bar that slowly goes down. In effect, this is like a time limit so you can't stand around without moving forward. Energy powerups refill this gauge.

C items switch your shot between an aimed shot and a fixed direction three-way. If you get a special weapon like the super ball, picking up a C will lose that special weapon. If you are happy with your current weapon type there's no reason to grab these.

P items are standard powerups and give more firepower.

SP items depend on the color, either giving a longer energy bar, faster movement, super ball weapon, super burner weapon (if you're using autofire turn it off when using super burner or it won't do anything), or a 1-hit shield.

This game gives bombs like candy so use them. Sometimes there will be an enemy you just can't hit; this is a good time to use one. Bombs are worth points at the end of each stage if you want to keep them, but staying alive is more important when you're learning the game.

Take it slow at first. Enemies are triggered by walking up the screen. There are a few areas where it can be beneficial to rush through, but generally speaking slow and careful will win the day.

There are lots of secrets in this game. Some are hard to explain in plain text, but there are a few good youtube videos with comments to point out where these are.

Some great info here, I will say that the Super Ball weapon is the best in my opinion, it's very strong and versatile. How well I do often depends on how quickly I am fortunate enough to get the Super Ball.

Bombs can be worth a ton of points if you can hold onto them not just for the end of stage bonus, but after 10 I believe each one you pick up is worth 5k if I remember right. Between that and the end of stage bonus it really adds up.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
fec776c32936f404e66edc7b9dd824cb.jpg

Chosen_One | 1,068,630 | 79% | No | US PCB

Last edited:

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
suicidekiller | 1,090,930 | 81% | Yes | JP PCB

Gotta do some practice on the later levels I guess.

img_20161202_183654_h09ywu.jpg

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Gotta join the million club.
outz0001_zpsb9lemwxv.png
Jeneki | 1,055,740 | 66% | Yes | Mame set 1

If we want to go the extra step and get pcb and mame players on the same version, here's an easy way to tell which version of mame matches your pcb (stage 2 when you see the five boxes on the right).

MAME set 1:
outz0004_zpsblxzbn12.png
A medium red tank comes out of the central building.

MAME set 2:
outzonea_zpshxf4zqxj.png
A bunch of fast blue enemies come out of the central building.

I played five or so games on each version and it's been consistent for me at that spot.

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Red Tank aka Mame Set 1 for me.
Made it to the 2nd lvl boss today (19%) and actually died to a lack of energy - that's a bit harsh. I'm not a big fan of Gauntlet style games where that can happen.
Apart from that it's a very cool game and I'm glad I tried it, still makes me feel a bit like in GnG where I desperately try to NOT pick up a weapon - so far my fav. weapon is still the spread shot powered with some levels.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
outzone_s_zps1u92bduf.png
Jeneki | 1,243,840 | 78% | Yes | Mame set 1

On stage 1, I somehow got the PiPi bouncing around the bottom of the screen so I couldn't hit him. It turned half the screen into 5000 point icons at the boss, omg that will never happen again.

Red enemies with bombs or special weapons seem to be based on how many appear, so there are a few locations you can farm a few extra for more bombs. For example, the APCs in stage 1: if you don't kill them right away more enemies pop out the back. I got 9 bombs by the first boss that way.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
wyo_vr4 | 323,030 | 26% | No | JP PCB

DSC01176 (Mobile).JPG

New to the game, just getting acquainted ;)

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Slight progress and the first time I reached stage 7 (on 1 credit). Didn't last til the brown tiles though :D

suicidekiller | 1,121,340 | 85% | No | JP PCB

img_20161204_213156_h5iavc.jpg

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Is there a significant delay between bomb press and activation in this game? I don't remember encountering that on the PCB but I'm noticing it in MAME. Maybe it's due to my setup or the version I'm using.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Is there a significant delay between bomb press and activation in this game? I don't remember encountering that on the PCB but I'm noticing it in MAME. Maybe it's due to my setup or the version I'm using.
I thougt it's only me, but I experienced this on mame too multiple times when I tried to prevent getting hit via a bomb

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Seems instant on the PCB, which is a good thing because the hit detection is unforgiving.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
ccbb3e220508941b0c01d8343c10dd80.jpg

Chosen One 1340150 85% No PCB

Had a better run % wise but I keep getting screwed out of the superball. Usually lose it at the platforms in stage 4? where I'm forced to pickup a C or a super burner. If I don't get it again the last stages are very challenging.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
i might try shmupmame to see if it makes a difference re: input timing