Sony declares "full-on assault" on Xbox Live

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
Since no one bothered to post it I will...

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/31/sony-declares-full-on-assault-on-xbox-live/

According to a scan posted on the PlayStation forums, the March issue of PlayStation Magazine (PSM) reveals Sony's plans to deliver an online gaming experience that not only targets Microsoft's much lauded Live service, but surpasses it. The article reads:

"Cast aside any doubts and start gazing skyward, because that's where Sony is aiming with plans that go far beyond simple leader boards and matchmaking -- or even the PS3, for that matter."

"'It's very real,' one source tells us. 'They (Sony) are dead serious about it. They've declared, and I quote, a 'full-on assault' on the latest version of Xbox Live.'"

"They are committed to matching Xbox Live [on the 360] feature for feature and then some."

This story, together with the recent survey Sony conducted, should remove any doubts about Sony's online ambitions. Is it possible that Sony could create a network the size and scale of Xbox Live in such a short time? It has cost Microsoft, the world's largest software company, billions and taken years just to lay the framework for the current Live service.

Sony is known for their hyperbolic marketing: the PS2's Emotion Engine, the PSP as iPod-killer; it seems unlikely they could take the crown from Microsoft on their first try, but any attempt is a huge relief. It was beginning to look like Sony didn't think the Live service was a valuable addition to console gaming, or a serious competitor to their hegemony.

Read on for some (barely) readable closeups from the image on the right.

What do you think? Can they pull it off? I guess if they had technical help from SOE it would be very possible.

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
Sony is all talk and empty promises. Emotion Engine, anyone? Jacking into the Matrix? Toy Story graphics? Fuck them. Xbox Live > Anything Sony can come up with. :buttrock:

Kunai

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Sony is good at copying or ripping features off from other successful companies (DualShock, anyone?)... but I have my doubts that they will match XBox Live the first time around. I agree that the success won't come until much later, because a great online service isn't something you can just conjure up out of thin air.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
As long as Sony offers up downloadable content and demos then I would be more than happy. It will take many years for Sony to surpass Live in what it offers.

Stinky-Dinkins

Let Her Cook
15 Year Member
The announcement came shortly after Sony accused XBox Live of having WMD's.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Mark of the Wolves said:
Since no one bothered to post it I will...

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/31/sony-declares-full-on-assault-on-xbox-live/

What do you think? Can they pull it off? I guess if they had technical help from SOE it would be very possible.

no one bothered posting it because it's the same old sony hype bullshit.
sony hyped the ps2 to death, or really the the dc's death.
they're selling it to a slightly more skeptical audience this time around.
this coming from the online network that socom built.
do you honestly know any other game that really gets any attention other than
that and ffxi?
take it with a big grain of salt.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I just wanted you guys to know I'm starting a game company. I have really low expectations.

Send it to print.

NipRing

The Shlonginator,
Stinky-Dinkins said:
The announcement came shortly after Sony accused XBox Live of having STD's.
I thought i was itching alot :crying:

~bill

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
If it has online 2d fighters (which it won't), I'll be there.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
If it's free, I'll be there. And if I'm paying $499 for a big hunk of their silicon-infused excrement, it better be free.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
If they get some girls who sound like Kathleen Turner to talk dirty to me while we play Street Fighter, I'm fucking there. Then the only dilemma would be which stick to play with.

Seriously though, I knew they'd end up trying desperately to catch up as far as online services. They've got more than enough cash to pull it off, but it takes more than that. If they could somehow make the service more lag-free and cheaper, they could do it...but that's a tall-ass order.

iamyagami22

Viewpoint Vigilante
ferrarimanf355 said:
Sony is all talk and empty promises. Emotion Engine, anyone? Jacking into the Matrix? Toy Story graphics? Fuck them. Xbox Live > Anything Sony can come up with. :buttrock:

Fanbois. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
Loopz said:
If they get some girls who sound like Kathleen Turner to talk dirty to me while we play Street Fighter, I'm fucking there. Then the only dilemma would be which stick to play with.

Seriously though, I knew they'd end up trying desperately to catch up as far as online services. They've got more than enough cash to pull it off, but it takes more than that. If they could somehow make the service more lag-free and cheaper, they could do it...but that's a tall-ass order.

I'm not so sure about the "enough cash to pull it off" thing. Last I heard Sony had a MASSIVE long and short term debt problem.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
rarehero said:
this coming from the online network that socom built.
do you honestly know any other game that really gets any attention other than
that and ffxi?
take it with a big grain of salt.

That's the thing. Many people think they acquired the Socom developers for help with their online plans.

But yeah I can't think of any games that get a lot of attention. I'm just happy if it would be easier to connect. I want to play Future Perfect, but since I could never get it up and running I don't feel like trying again. I changed ISP's though so I guess I should give it a try.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
even if sony tries, they are a generation behind for online console experience, plus MSFT has been running online games on the PC for years, Sony has no chance, 360 will no superior online. that's not even to mention they would have to start an online subscription userbase from scratch.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I didn't post this because it's not even official news.

It's plain not worth posting. It's nothing but a statement from an unknown source, which could be just about anybody. It's not even a word from Sony. If there was something called vapor-speak, this is it. Even if the statement is rediculous.

Maybe I should start talking about a new dominating console called "The Phantom Returns", post it anonymously, and then see it get published somewhere.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
DashK said:
plus MSFT has been running online games on the PC for years, Sony has no chance,

Sony has an online gaming division.

Kirk Foiden said:
I didn't post this because it's not even official news.

It's plain not worth posting. It's nothing but a statement from an unknown source, which could be just about anybody. It's not even a word from Sony. If there was something called vapor-speak, this is it. Even if the statement is rediculous.

Maybe I should start talking about a new dominating console called "The Phantom Returns", post it anonymously, and then see it get published somewhere.

Its from PSM its a gaming magazine.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Yes, but in the magazine, it was just some undisclosed source. PSM just published it. Just like Teamxbox did. Pure rumor engine. And while Sony has done some online gaming, it's nowhere anything like the infrastructure that goes into something like live. Their online gaming division didn't consist of anything beyond any other 3rd party developer who just made online games, on the PC. Blizzard, Bioware, and many others, were in the same boat.

Last edited:

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
Seijuro Hiko said:
I don't see why they couldn't compete, Xbox Live is not all that great...
:lol:

Not saying that Sony can't compete, but to say that Live isn't that great is just BS. It's the best inclusive online community/gaming service period... Now, what about it isn't so great?

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Xbox Live is one rather long time developed project. It does a whole lot more than anybody who doesn't have it or use it, to its fullest, knows about. In a way, the 360 version throws more of the features in your face to become a rather integrated aspect of all 360 gaming and gaming interests. It's your mall, your alternative communication/messaging device, your ability to set up personal communities, your demo source, your game tracking database, your all media controller, your videogame and movie previewer, and all this without even mentioning multiplayer gaming and rankings. Since getting connected with 360, I've even had to make much less trips to the store. Less waiting in lines, or dealing with the more annoying customers. These are things I use without thinking about it, without even going out of my way to use the features. Everything is layed out so conveniently, you just want to use them because you see something you'd like to do.

It may have started off as something less interesting, but these years of development have brought a lot of stuff to the table. It's able to upgrade itself at any time, and it's entrenched itself in a major lead. And like anybody else trying to start up their own cable service, and adding their own lines; they will always be playing catchup to the ones who've already set the infrastructure in place.

Last edited: