SNES 30th Anniversary

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Happy 30th Birthday to one of the greatest consoles ever made. To be honest that era does feel like a million years ago.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
When is the last time any of you played your SNES?

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Played some turtles in Time to compare it to the Arcade game just couple of weeks ago. I'm sure a lot of us here still have a Snes hooked up to the TV.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I play it fairly often, moreso than most of my other consoles. Granted, i play via the Super NT, but the games themselves graphically and mechanically hold up well today.

Probably my favorites are Turtles in Time, Tetris Attack, the final fantasy games, SMW, LttP, the DKC trilogy, and Super Metroid. So many great titles that are still arguably the best entries in their respective series.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Still have mine acquired on launch day. It's unyellowed, but the plastic power port is broken. I have a modded SNES mini that I use these days, though it is susceptible to the same problem eventually. I need to learn how to replace that port (or have someone do it).

SNES was the first and only console I had at launch.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
It's definitely a go to system for me.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Played some Super Mario World a couple of weeks ago at a party (trading off controller). Hard to believe that game is 30 years old.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Imagine Super Mario Bros 3, if it wasn't constrained by the NES and was on the SNES instead.

no the all stars version doesn't count

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Imagine Super Mario Bros 3, if it wasn't constrained by the NES and was on the SNES instead.

no the all stars version doesn't count
I think the content of Super Mario bros 3 was pretty satisfactory. Many believe it to be better than Mario World.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I think the content of Super Mario bros 3 was pretty satisfactory. Many believe it to be better than Mario World.
Yeah SMB3 is great in its own right but I mean that it's despite the NES, I'm just throwing out the thought of a SMB3 built from the ground up on the SNES, taking SMW as an example.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
First system I ever pre-ordered, I played through SMW that night using the short cuts.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
My childhood SNES is still connected to the TV and I have a Supaboy on the couch. I was using them to play Dragon Quest V a few weeks ago.
I saw a Supaboy Black and Gold edition for $99 at a game shop not long ago. Are the latest models worth it at this point? I know earlier revisions were pretty rough

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I spent so much time at arcades I never played a snes until the mid 2000s. My first Nintendo was a Game Boy and then a 64. Interesting to read others thoughts on it.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Last week i just got a loose copy of the sfc version of super mario kart that a friend pickup for me from a convention.Though i all ways go back to super castlevania IV,when the console is out for any time i want to play a quickie.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
IIRC, it was early this year that I played Holly Umbrella on my Everdrive. My favorite game, though, is F-Zero, because of the sci-fi atmosphere and of course the arcade-like gameplay. But yeah, this atmosphere... reminds me of Moebius comics with those endless planes in pastel colors and vehicles which seem light like a feather. I even dig the soundtrack for its jazz fusion influences, like in some parts, it reminds me of Corea's Return Forever in some other of Weather Report.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I saw a Supaboy Black and Gold edition for $99 at a game shop not long ago. Are the latest models worth it at this point? I know earlier revisions were pretty rough

It's decent enough, although for what it is I think $60 is a more appropriate price. My only real gripe is the screen, it's a pretty crappy composite video screen which is really out of place in a product made in 2021. It's better than a Nomad or something and passable, but it really should be better.

If you don't have a need for real carts, any number of emu handhelds are better, or hack a New 2DS/3DS. I usually use a RG351 if I'm not playing something that I want to use a real cart for saving.