SAR: Search and Rescue! The last SNK game before the Neo Geo became a thing - the whole game - 2/14

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

Yes I know it's on Switch...I just think its a bit of an iffy port. Plus I make the rules and when I want to talk about an SNK game...I break them lol

Def feels like this could have easily been a Beast Busters game with the horror and the gore vibes

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
not sure I've ever played this one.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
It may have been a proto Beast Busters however I think it more aligned with the Ikari Warriors series with its knob joysticks and similar play to them. Ikari was the army version, Victory Road was the demonic version and SAR was the space version.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Didn’t you have some video about a prototype system found Near a tree or something?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Didn’t you have some video about a prototype system found Near a tree or something?
haha yes. Samurai Shodown 64 prototype. It's sitting right next to me as I type this

edit: I am working on dumping it still. It's just really fucking complicated. I may send it to an engineer friend of mine who I trust if I can't deal with it / can't find time. I want it released by xmas this year as my yearly christmas gift video

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I always believed this game needed rotary joysticks, like Ikari Warriors, so I never played my PCB (characters were stuck shooting in a vertical position), but your video gave me an idea... maybe SNK programmed a normal joystick option, too? And that's exactly how it is: with dipswitch 8 you can choose between rotary and normal. Thanks for the hint awbacon! 🤝 It's probably more fun with rotary sticks, but it works pretty well.

P.S. I couldn't resist taking a photo... this game is heavily inspired by Aliens, and look what's behind the cab 😅 (1986 italian movie poster in really bad shape)

k8Vfokg.jpg

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I always believed this game needed rotary joysticks, like Ikari Warriors, so I never played my PCB (characters were stuck shooting in a vertical position), but your video gave me an idea... maybe SNK programmed a normal joystick option, too? And that's exactly how it is: with dipswitch 8 you can choose between rotary and normal. Thanks for the hint awbacon! 🤝 It's probably more fun with rotary sticks, but it works pretty well.

P.S. I couldn't resist taking a photo... this game is heavily inspired by Aliens, and look what's behind the cab 😅 (1986 italian movie poster in really bad shape)

k8Vfokg.jpg
even if bad shape that poster is legit!

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
even if bad shape that poster is legit!
Thanks 🤝 It's a big "quattro fogli" format, 55 x 78 inches (or 140 x 200 cm)... the best one I have is this one from 1985 😉, but it's still waitin' for a canvas transfer, and that's a delicate and costly procedure. Still, it's the proper way to hang and preserve movie art without damaging the paper, unless you can get a ridiculously huge frame.
(MVS cart for size comparison... and sorry for the OT! 😄)

Kfs5uOR.jpg

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
With my advanced age and forgetful memory, I knew there was another SNK rotary knob game (not the single player TNK III) and it was Guerrilla War.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Looks like the same hardware Beast Busters ran on, which was basically a gimpy version of what would become the Neo.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

k8Vfokg.jpg
This picture speaks so many words to me.