RGB from a MVS 1 Slot

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I'm trading for a nice CMVS 1 slot unit from a friend, but the problem is that it only has component jacks on it and my monitor needs RGB. I've been told that this isn't a problem because you can tap the RGB right from the board. I was thinking about trying to wire up a standard Neo Geo AV port so I could use my SCART cable with it, but I need to know where to get all the signals.

According to this page I need:

1. Audio
2. Ground
3. Composite Video
4. +5V
5. R
6. G
7. B
8. Composite Sync

Another problem is that I don't know what version of the 1 slot it is. This is the only picture I have that shows the board. Can someone point me in the right direction on where to get the signals from?

Attachments

• MVS 2.jpeg
    MVS 2.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 96

OldTony

New Challenger
I see video connectors on board left side, you just need to build a cable with scart connector from one side and rca pin on other side (I've seen some cable ready yet on sale into electronics parts shop), you can search for scart pin connection scheme on google. The board into pic should be an MV 1FZ..

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I'm trading for a nice CMVS 1 slot unit from a friend, but the problem is that it only has component jacks on it and my monitor needs RGB. I've been told that this isn't a problem because you can tap the RGB right from the board. I was thinking about trying to wire up a standard Neo Geo AV port so I could use my SCART cable with it, but I need to know where to get all the signals.

According to this page I need:

1. Audio
2. Ground
3. Composite Video
4. +5V
5. R
6. G
7. B
8. Composite Sync

Another problem is that I don't know what version of the 1 slot it is. This is the only picture I have that shows the board. Can someone point me in the right direction on where to get the signals from?

This was the very first CMVS I built based on the MV1FZ (back when I built everything with component video internally like an idiot). Quite honestly I am kind of ashamed of this thing now that my mod work has improved ten fold (and I have since built far better units). Unless you are going to reuse the RCA ports there really is no room left in the plastic shell for an RGB port. Also, EVERY wire is cut to length (including the controller ports) so to open that beast you would have to desolder every wire and practically redo the entire unit. You would also have to undo the LED array attacked to the bottom of the unit as it is sitting on top of said wires. So in short adding RGB on this system is a massive undertaking and it would be faster just to buy another MV1FZ and build a new CMVS yourself. If you have not traded for it yet and want something with RGB I recommend trying to build a new unit yourself or find another CMVS wired for RGB.

Last edited:

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
This was the very first CMVS I built based on the MV1FZ (back when I built everything with component video internally like an idiot). Quite honestly I am kind of ashamed of this thing now that my mod work has improved ten fold (and I have since built far better units). Unless you are going to reuse the RCA ports there really is no room left in the plastic shell for an RGB port. Also, EVERY wire is cut to length (including the controller ports) so to open that beast you would have to desolder every wire and practically redo the entire unit. You would also have to undo the LED array attacked to the bottom of the unit as it is sitting on top of said wires. So in short adding RGB on this system is a massive undertaking and it would be faster just to buy another MV1FZ and build a new CMVS yourself. If you have not traded for it yet and want something with RGB I recommend trying to build a new unit yourself or find another CMVS wired for RGB.
Wow, thanks for the brutally honest answer. I have not traded for it yet, and I'm thinking this might be a no go now. This also answers the question I had about removing the LED's on the bottom (sorry, not my style). Looks like I'll have to find another one.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Wow, thanks for the brutally honest answer. I have not traded for it yet, and I'm thinking this might be a no go now. This also answers the question I had about removing the LED's on the bottom (sorry, not my style). Looks like I'll have to find another one.

I i just did not want you to get it then be disappointed with it. It is an excellent unit if you just need component video and is pretty if you don't plan on taking it apart. If you need RGB it would be better to pursue a different CMVS as there is no pretty, easy, or clean way to get RGB from this beast.

Last edited:

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I actually have someone willing to trade me one of those Analogue CMVS units. They look damn sexy, but pricey. Are they worth the cost or is it just flashy stuff for people with too much money?

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I actually have someone willing to trade me one of those Analogue CMVS units. They look damn sexy, but pricey. Are they worth the cost or is it just flashy stuff for people with too much money?

I have never used one but they are supposed to be really high quality. They use the MV1C PCB and come with a universe BIOS installed. If you would like a log that plays MVS games they are nice from what I have heard.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm going with "flashy for people with too much money" but if someone wants to trade you, I'd do it. It's a fine system, I'd just rather put the money elsewhere.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Actually the woodgrain makes me think of my Atari 2600.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
What would you be giving up for it in trade? They're certainly nicely-built units, but whether you get that or another MV1-C-based CMVS, they all have basically the same internal, so you're paying extra for the shell.

I bought my CMVS from Xian Xi. I have an RGB monitor as well so I didn't need a video encoder, so I saved at least $100 by asking him to build me a console that outputs RGB only. It's this one, only with a black shell instead of white:

weq-cmvs1.jpg

Not as sexy as an AI CMVS, but it has a much smaller footprint and functions exactly the same when all you want is RGB.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Same thing I got, love the little thing.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yup, shoot him a PM with what exactly you want.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I think I'm going to go with Xian Xi's CMVS unit and sell my 7800 and CC2 (a 2600/7800 flash cart for those not in the know) for cash. Seems like a much better deal for what I want.

Good to know, but why?
I'm also curious about this.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
That and a lot of people complain that it's a bit dim.

RGB quality should be the priority. If you can afford one, you can damn well afford a proper set up. If I ever decide to go that route, I'll get an RGB only CMVS from you or build my own.

Off topic: Did the game I sent you arrive yet?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
RGB quality should be the priority. If you can afford one, you can damn well afford a proper set up. If I ever decide to go that route, I'll get an RGB only CMVS from you or build my own.

Off topic: Did the game I sent you arrive yet?

Oh ya, it did. Sorry, wife just gave birth on Sunday so I've been kinda behind on a few things. I think it came in like early last week.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Oh ya, it did. Sorry, wife just gave birth on Sunday so I've been kinda behind on a few things. I think it came in like early last week.

Wow, congrats man!! :)

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Wow no kidding. Take your time with my CMVS and spend time with your new kid.