Resident Evil: Code Veronica Graphics: DC vs. PS2

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
Being on a Resident Evil kick having just finished Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube (excellent game; I'm still playing The Mercenaries ), I decided to play my girlfriend's copy of Code Veronica X on the PS2, which I haven't played before. I've played through the original Dreamcast version, and I remember the graphics being stellar and thinking that the graphics would age very well. Unfortunately on the PS2 the game doesn't look nearly as good as I remember. The color depth seems to be lacking, which is unsurprising for a PS2 game. [chimpmeister]That 4 MB of video RAM, so stupid![/chimpmesiter]I no longer have the Dreamcast version to compare it to (I should buy it again though).

So my question is: does the PS2 version of this game look considerably worse than the Dreamcast version, or am I thinking that it does only because I've played the Gamecube RE titles more recently?

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I remember thinking that RE: CV looked great on the DC at the time, but after returning back to it after playing lots of next-gen games, it looked kind of washed out and even a little pixely. Still looks good, but not quite as good as I remembered it to be.

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
The DC version was cleaner and didn't have what I would consider a black lining around all the objects in the game. It looks like a poor conversion job on the PS2 with a couple added scenes that didn't opening an new ground braking events.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Yep, DC version is smoother. I remember playing the PS2 version right after it released and thinking, damn, they expect people to buy this just for the Wesker Report, apparently, since the game itself is worse?

I'd guess that one of the reasons it looked so good on DC was that Sega developed much of it for Capcom. They knew their own system better for the original better than they knew the PS2 when doing the port, thus the slight degradation in appearance.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Highlander67 said:
The DC version was cleaner and didn't have what I would consider a black lining around all the objects in the game. It looks like a poor conversion job on the PS2 with a couple added scenes that didn't opening an new ground braking events.

Capcom did release a complete version on DC as well :)

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
The DC version seemedd a lot smoother, i wish the ps2 never killed the dreamcast.