rarehero's Official KOF XII Review Thread

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
So, I got to play the game in depth with friends and wanted to update folks on my thoughts about it. The version I got to play was the 360 version without online play (which you can read about online problems anywhere else) Not a big deal. After playing it a second time more in depth gave me a little more respect for the system in game though.

kof12n3-620x.jpg

GRAPHICS

Awesome redrawn sprites, pixels are visible which has drawn some complaints when
comparing it to blazblue, but I happen to like it that way.
whatevehs.
The animation is fluid and it's nice to see the job that PLAYMORE did with the graphics
in general. I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of the roid'ed up Ikaris, the blue mary looking
Leona, or an Akuma looking Ryo, but I have to admit: Raiden looks amazing, Terry looks
how Terry should look, Goro looks fierce and everyone else looks just as great.
It's nice to finally see Kim's sprite's animation match the rest of the roster's.
The backgrounds are okay, there are some neat shadow ideas that are implemented, but not really something that
was needed imo. You do have to make sure your TV has the right settings though.
I've played on one tv set where it was almost unplayable since the shadow in the market was too dark.
menu interface? eh.
but that said, the character portraits are nice, coming from actual art, not digital sprite looking
portraits.

4857_204765420243_95962005243_7620712_5152416_n.jpg

ROSTER AND ART

With a roster of 20 characters from the arcade and an additional 2 console
exclusive characters, 12 has a normal variety of kof oldtymers
with one neat addition of fatal fury alumni raiden (Big Bear)
who popped up strangely enough in the semi recent CvS 2.
The other notables are the kof 2003/11 crew.
of Ash, Duo Lon, Shen Woo, and Elizabeth.
I think they're trash characters from trash games.
Like'em or love'em, they are who they are.
Personally I would have wished for them to throw in other KOF characters
like Shingo, the other Koreans, the old man team, etc etc.
(I'm not even a big mai fan, but how could they not put her in?)

GAMEPLAY

Hey! So this is a neat section right here.
Originally I was pretty miffed by the gameplay.
As a kof vet, I've always loved kof for it's staple controllable jumping system,
rolling mechanism, CDs, and chain combos.
After playing initially, it's all in there but when I didn't get the chain combos and
the regular 3 hit combos didn't work for me, I was kind of bitter.
Seeing critical combos online make the game look like a sfa clone.
But I got to play it more along with friends and was pretty delighted to see
that chain combos still exist in the game for some characters.
They just have to come from a neutral HP or HK into a forward LP or LK.
I know it's not a big deal, but I'm used to pushing forward while dialing in my combos.

Also, comboing the CD attacks after a plain attack allows you to do a special
afterwards for a kind of juggle that connects as a combo.
It's interesting and adds something new to the game.
Although the CDs add to the gameplay, I'm not sure about the new system of critical combos.
After landing a counter attack when you have a full bar, you can continue to do a kind of auto
combo on the other player. I've seen combos on youtube and in person that show CC's
taking off from 1/3-1/2 a bar on someone.
You can attribute that ability of pulling off a CC as only being something only experienced
people can pull off from a lucky shot.
But I don't believe that, it's a combo string you can turn over an entire match easily with
from an easy HP or HK.
Personally I'm not sold on the CC system, if it's in the game in the future I'd accept it if it was
toned down, similar to SFA, but still not a big fan of it.

Also, I didn't really look at the animation to normals ratio,
but jabs seem to not come off as fast as they used to, playing as Leona isn't as fun to
me when you have to be concerned with slower speed of putting out jabs.
Plus special moves seemed to not have high priority in the game as in the past.
And it may be my imagination, but command throws seemed to be harder to pull off
without much payoff damage wise.

Finally, on the gameplay front, movelists have changed for some characters or shortened.
Although I'm not a fan of Ralph not having his Argentina backbreaker, he's arguably
just as good with a new scope of moves. Clark on the other hand, along with Mature,
and a few other characters, have about 2-3 moves whereas they had about 5-6 in the past.
To me, a lack of variety of moves is a disservice to the character.
Clark without his frankensteiner or his running grab makes him a big target with less moves.
Iori's been changed to resemble the movelist from freeman in MOTWs, which I think is interesting.
But not everyone makes much sense. Maybe I didn't play him enough,
but chin has some neat changes, but is less effective.
Mature used to have alot of defensive and offensive moves, but now is stripped down to
about two of her offensive moves.
To add to all of this, there's also the fact that all characters only having one DM,
as well as one DM stock (with the exception of Benimaru, who has 2 DMs to choose from)

SOUNDS AND MUSIC

Although people make fun of the accordion music in the french stage,
it's unfortunately the only song I like in the game.
Couple that along with only about 5 other songs to accompany the 6 other stages,
then you don't have much for variety.
Also, if you buy the game, you may want to switch the voices to japanese.
The American dub to KOF alumni maybe something new, but is fairly annoying.
I'd argue for newcomers that you could always try the US dub for yourselves. (jk, don't)

REPLAYABILITY

Unless you're playing it online?
not much.
There isn't any storyline, boss, or unlockables (edit: there is an unlockable gallery, thanks Taiso).
The amount of backgrounds? 6.
The days of playing against people in arcades are gone, either playing it alone
at home 1p or playing it online against other people are the norms now.
If you're an offline gamer then there's little to nothing except for the fighting system
to keep you company.
Comparing this to past KOF games, the lack of story, characters, backgrounds, win qoutes,
taunts, and a boss makes this iteration seem fairly lacking.
Although some have said that the fluid animations that PLAYMORE spent about 4 years working
on was good enough, I still account the lack of things to be a disappointment.
It's like going to a steak buffet house that only gives you one
tiny undercooked piece of meat per visit to the counter. just not enough meat on the bones.

If you're online, you get the opportunity to post your best times online and play against others.
Chatter about dlc has been tossed around, but to again point out the bare bones nature
of the game, this would be be the reason why people loathe the idea of dlc in the first place.
Should people who pay 60 dollars for a game have to pay more money to add to
an already scant roster or amount of backgrounds?

Also, not a fan of the exclusion of any sort of story.
I understand some people don't care about it,
but it's one of the reasons why I value most SNK games to anything else.

OVERALL

So alot of new changes, alot of good things, alot of things missing.
Is it worth it?
Is it canon?
Should I wait for the KOF 12.5?
Alot of people have thrown the fact that the PLAYMORE was losing money,
needed to push something out and cash in to keep going.
I can see that the game on it's own merits as a KOF game is pretty nice,
the new sprites and animation is pretty fantastic, the new gameplay isn't necessarily
perfect as I see it, but is interesting and worth learning.
But the missing pieces become more glaring when you start comparing it to other
recent fighters selling for the same price (or <) and what they have to offer.
Blaz blue doesn't really appeal to me personally on a gameplay level, but it's just as deep
with it's element drive system, great visuals, and great online play.
SF IV sticks out in my mind even greater since from the arcade to console conversion
meant more a boat load of more console exclusive characters.
Personally, after getting to play it and get more into the gameplay,
I feel better about the game, but I wouldn't spend 60 bucks on it.
PLAYMORE released an barebones game and should have attached a barebones price on it.
I'm disappointed on what's been left out of this game,
but I am looking forward to the proper release of the next game.

6/10

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
This is the best and fairest review of this game ever, and I agree with pretty much everything you said. Your review of the gameplay is 100% fucking correct, period.

A couple things of note:

You mentioned that Iori seems to play like Freeman now, with his modified moveset since he supposedly doesn't have his Orochi powers anymore. Canonical or not, I think this game is setting us up for how he will play in KOF XIII or KOF XII.V (or whatever.) I think the modification to the character is indicative of the idea that they wanted this game to be a more complete release than it ended up being. If this was really intended to be a 'bare bones, dream match' release from the very beginning and not the next actual chapter in the saga, why change Iori at all?

Also interesting that you compared Iori to Freeman because there has been speculation that they're one and the same. While I don't personally believe this to be the case, I've often found the correlation interesting from a story point of view.

You also said that there are no unlockables. This is not true. There is a lame gallery you can unlock. But in truth, it's hardly worth the effort so I can understand you glossing over this.

You also rightly observe that the lack of a story or boss seems like something's missing. People like to say 'lol playing a fighting game for story' but fuck that noise anyway. Most fighting games HAVE a story, whether it's good or average or total shit. They're a part of the fabric of the series, and furthermore they're a part of the DNA of fighting games in general. They're definitely what gives SNK fighters their special charm and personality. I don't mind 'dream match' games at all, but regardless of what you think of the Ash Crimson storyline, they really needed to finish it and THEN release KOF XIII as a dream match. This game just doesn't have a soul, and the lack of a story, boss, and even character interactions or any other small fanservice bits hurts the appeal of the product in the end.

6/10 is a VERY fair review for this game.

Well done, Rarehero.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Throws really are a bitch to pull off in this game.

rarehero

20 Year Member
You know, I think I heard about the Iori/Freeman conversation too ages ago
but never really thought about it again after that.
I do enjoy him in MoTWs but don't really like Iori as much as I like Freeman.
So it's a give and take thing.
People balking because of other people bringing up story is kind of goofy.
I mean, story in last blade games adds a mythology or history to the games
and in a way legitimizes it as a pretty epic series.
I've always looked forward to story in KOF games until I sat through
the unintelligible mess of 2003.
I'm hoping that PLAYMORE puts out a real gem next time though.
I think they have the foundation to future additions to the series,
but personally. I'd wait it out.
and I hope folks like the sprites.
because we'll probably be stuck with them for the next 10 years of KOF.
:icon10:

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Ryo & Robert also have 2 Dm's.

I think Kensou has had the best change in the entire game, i loved playing as him more than ever in XII!

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Characters with more than one DM

Ash Crimson - 3
Shen Woo - 2
Benimaru Nikaido - 2
Robert Garcia - 2
Ryo Sakazaki -2

Chin Gentsai is the hardest character to use in this game. With the lag as it is now, about the only thing I can consistently pull off is his Nitatsu Kyaku (:downf:+:B:,:B:).

And Kyo is a beast.

I'm also trying to figure out how to use Goro Daimon effectively. His :forw:+:C: is nice for just stopping projectiles and poking (has good reach).

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Somethings I can agree but mostly I cannot, glad you spent some time with it though.

There's some stuff that I find kind of strange, of course is all a matter of opinion but since you seemed confound to share yours I'll tell you what I think of it.

Can't fathom why the gameplay is different, why do I have to leave the stick on neutral while doing my combos?, I'm used to pressing foward!

Seems to me that you're just lacking some experience (if not skill) with the game just like everyone else that seems to complaint lots about it. Pressing foward during a combo? C'mon man! If you're a scrub that's cool, I can relate, but don't belittle something just 'cause you can't master it.

I'm not sure how to explain this (meaning CC's), anything that adds an opportunity for the match to be turn around should be welcomed, why do you wanna feel safe? What good does that do? I like the whole take the bull by the horns attitude of the game, no one is safe...ever!

Whinning about a 60 dollar game wether is gonna have dlc that's gonna cost more seems a bit absurd coming from a Neo Geo gamer doesn't it?

I agree to some extent about the lack of boss and storyline but only 'cause I'd be curious what it would be like, other than that at the end I find them unimportant for VS play and that's what I play the game for.

Also, online could be better but you can still get excellent conncetion with locals.

The new designs are cool, specially the Ikaris.

The overall score is preposterous.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Whinning about a 60 dollar game wether is gonna have dlc that's gonna cost more seems a bit absurd coming from a Neo Geo gamer doesn't it?

This game wasn't released for the Neo-Geo and it didn't come out five years ago.

It is a game that was released for today's gamer in today's market.

Taking those things into consideration, there's nothing wrong with criticizing a game that feels very unfinished for costing $60 and then having to pay more for DLC that will somehow fill in the missing spots.

Yes, DLC is optional, but if the game were complete and not stripped down to its bones, perhaps DLC costs wouldn't be a concern.

I agree to some extent about the lack of boss and storyline but only 'cause I'd be curious what it would be like, other than that at the end I find them unimportant for VS play and that's what I play the game for.

I know you're not really disputing his point here, but this is part of the reason why he gave the game a deservedly average/low score. The lack of this content makes the game incomplete when reviewed from an objective standpoint. What's in the game is pretty good overall but it's far from a completed product. It was rushed out the door because SNK-P desperately needed a return on the production costs and it clearly shows with this release and all the things that are missing from any respectable title for the home console market.

I don't play Madden, but it is the official game of the NFL. If I *did* play Madden and I said something like 'I don't care if the players have names or not. I just like playing against other live competition', that would not be an objective reflection on the game as a finished product.

There's a difference between enjoying what KOF XII has to offer and considering it a completed game. The former is perfectly fine, the latter is completely innacurate. Given this, SNK-P is rightly lambasted for what they didn't do.

Also, online could be better but you can still get excellent conncetion with locals.

This is largely irrelevant. Everyone knows you can have perfectly fine local matches. SNK-P promised that the head to head experience would be the heartbeat of this game and they gave us online competitive play towards that end. They didn't deliver on their promise and that's why it is rightly criticized and factors into the final overall quality of the product as it was released.

Cool avvie, btw. Maiden rules.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I meant locals like in MASS, the same state or even the same city, I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough. I've had plenty of matches with the MASS crew and we have excellent "seemingly" free lag connection.

Thanks, Maiden is rad!

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I meant locals like in MASS, the same state or even the same city, I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough. I've had plenty of matches with the MASS crew and we have excellent "seemingly" free lag connection.

Thanks, Maiden is rad!

I HAVE heard that matches in the same area are less laggy, but really...online gaming in the modern age should be better than having to confine yourself to our immediate area. Hence, I can only consider one of the most important selling points of this game to be not fully tested and, therefore, incomplete.

Maiden is one of my favorite bands ever.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I HAVE heard that matches in the same area are less laggy, but really...online gaming in the modern age should be better than having to confine yourself to our immediate area. Hence, I can only consider one of the most important selling points of this game to be not fully tested and, therefore, incomplete.

Maiden is one of my favorite bands ever.
I agree 'cause I would love to play all over the place. I guess my point of view is not very popular with you people 'cause I understand the stress that SNKP is going through to make this game happen, I can accept that they are not SNK anymore and they'll never be, I am completely aware that things have changed and I can deal with that just fine but to many that's heresy.

I think that you have to get it by now that I'm not your typical bashing gamer. I like the game a lot, I mean there's just no way around it, and to sound enthusiastic if not cynicall, I really enjoy the game this far and I have no qualms about it.

I am thankful that there's a new KOF, you see I'm not fond of most current gen games so whenever I can get a little piece of what I'm used to play I actually do look foward to it and enjoy it. If the game is bad or it feels lacking I would defenately say it, but to me it plays great, what do you want me to tell you man? I just can't see myself jumping in with the bandwagon of whinning gamers.

Seems like we're running on the same subject on both threads, well, I think you know where this is going.

Maiden is my favorite band ever!

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I agree 'cause I would love to play all over the place. I guess my point of view is not very popular with you people 'cause I understand the stress that SNKP is going through to make this game happen, I can accept that they are not SNK anymore and they'll never be, I am completely aware that things have changed and I can deal with that just fine but to many that's heresy.

Please understand that my point in responding to you in this thread isn't to antagonize. That said....

....'the stress that SNKP is going thorugh to make this game happen' doesn't really mean anything. Why should I, as a consumer and LONG TIME fan of their franchises who has sunk THOUSANDS of dollars into their products and has every right to expect better out of them, continue to be 'forgiving' of their failed business model?

They promoted this product as 'the rebirth of a king' but the rebirth is defective in that it's missing the necessary parts to stand on its own in today's world. And unlike with genetics, SNK-P COULD have had themselves a perfectly normal reborn king. But they dropped the ball and that's why opinion is so widely divided on this game.

Failing in their intended goal, they spun their failure by saying 'we are making this a bare bones fighter dream match. Get ready for awesome head to head competition, and it will be online, too!' rather than admitting 'we need money so we have to release this game as is with a few rough edges, so please support us and wait until next year for KOF XIII!' But it's so obvious this game was rushed to release for the home consoles that they can't spin it no matter how hard they try.

It isn't just SNK hardcore fans casing on KOF XII (which I rightly enjoy even though it is far from complete.) It's the industry as a whole.

I think that you have to get it by now that I'm not your typical bashing gamer. I like the game a lot, I mean there's just no way around it, and to sound enthusiastic if not cynicall, I really enjoy the game this far and I have no qualms about it.

The gameplay is good and you are getting what you want out of it. Kudos to you, seriously. I enjoy it for what it is, too.

But this review was a comprehensive look at every aspect of the game, and when you look at every aspect of the game as a complete product ready for home release, it's woefully inadequate.

When giving a full review of something, you can't just cherry pick one or two things you like about it and ignore the ugly parts.

I am thankful that there's a new KOF, you see I'm not fond of most current gen games so whenever I can get a little piece of what I'm used to play I actually do look foward to it and enjoy it. If the game is bad or it feels lacking I would defenately say it, but to me it plays great, what do you want me to tell you man? I just can't see myself jumping in with the bandwagon of whinning gamers.

Nobody's asking you to jump on the bandwagon, either. But any hate/spite/ire I have for SNK-P isn't based on any kind of 'fashionable trend' of bashing. I feel I present an intelligent enough view of the matter to sound like more than just some random troller.

And a lot of the negative views on this site are presented by similarly experienced and individually thinking, intelligent people as well. Don't get so caught up in 'hating on the haters' that you lump them all into one group of internet trolls who can never be happy. It's just not that simple.

Seems like we're running on the same subject on both threads, well, I think you know where this is going.

Maiden is my favorite band ever!

As long as it ends with Maiden, it's all good.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
This is the same thing that Wes said to me the other day.
Why should I, as a consumer and LONG TIME fan of their franchises who has sunk THOUSANDS of dollars into their products and has every right to expect better out of them, continue to be 'forgiving' of their failed business model?

I just don't see it that way. To me (and this is at a very personal level) a new KOF, or any arcade game for that matter is like a new music album or a new book, I don't take expect them always to surpass previous efforts and at some points I don't even expect them to equal previous efforts either but I can defenately appreciate them for what they are; a new thing to experience and I love new things specially now where they don't come out too often.

Here's an example a bit out of the subject; When Bruce left Maiden for good he came up with Balls to Picasso, lot of folks hated it, some didn't even understood it, I personally think he was way ahead of its time and I welcomed the different feel to it. That's just me brother, and yes sometimes I do feel quite alone in that matter, 'cause people love to hate shit and it makes me sad.

Don't get so caught up in 'hating on the haters' that you lump them all into one group of internet trolls who can never be happy. It's just not that simple.

The longer I stay in this forum the more I see that I don't fit in at all. Everyone seems to busy criticizing and wether their entiltled to it or ot it's begginging to get to me, so yes I am guilty of what you say and unfortunately it does look that simple to me, like at times there are no gray areas in here, everyone seems so quick to point out the glass is half empty rather than the other way around and I'm no optimistic boyscout or anything.

Well, up the Irons!

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
This is the same thing that Wes said to me the other day.

I just don't see it that way. To me (and this is at a very personal level) a new KOF, or any arcade game for that matter is like a new music album or a new book, I don't take expect them always to surpass previous efforts and at some points I don't even expect them to equal previous efforts either but I can defenately appreciate them for what they are; a new thing to experience and I love new things specially now where they don't come out too often.

Here's an example a bit out of the subject; When Bruce left Maiden for good he came up with Balls to Picasso, lot of folks hated it, some didn't even understood it, I personally think he was way ahead of its time and I welcomed the different feel to it. That's just me brother, and yes sometimes I do feel quite alone in that matter, 'cause people love to hate shit and it makes me sad.

To sort of add on to your example, I totally appreciate KOF XII for what it is.

But I ain't gonna praise it more than it deserves.

It's an incomplete product, period. There's nothing wrong with calling it what it is and rightly criticizing it for its MANY shortcomings. And I feel Rarehero's review, as well as my own thoughts and the thoughts of others around here, aren't just hate for hate's sake. A lot of us have intelligently dissected the game and exposed it's numerous flaws.

I DO feel SNK-P keeps making colossal fuckups, but as I've said before...not EVERYTHING they do is all cocked up. A bit of it is pretty damn good.

The longer I stay in this forum the more I see that I don't fit in at all. Everyone seems to busy criticizing and wether their entiltled to it or ot it's begginging to get to me, so yes I am guilty of what you say and unfortunately it does look that simple to me, like at times there are no gray areas in here, everyone seems so quick to point out the glass is half empty rather than the other way around and I'm no optimistic boyscout or anything.

Well, up the Irons!

Stranger in a strange land, eh?

Well, remember that there are a lot of OLD SCHOOL fans in here and they're sick and tired of seeing their beloved franchises being continually mishandled. This is the place they come to in order to vent their frustrations.

We all know it can never be like it was in the past. KOF XI, NGBC and even KOF 2003 are all pretty great games. Even their flawed efforts have nice things about them, IMO. I don't even completely hate the Maximum Impact series. We're all just waiting for SNK-P to realize they have a legacy to live up to and so far, they have failed a lot more than they've succeeded. Cherrypicking what good you can find does not equate with a game being a quality effort.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You don't know the half of it man...

I don't cherrypick, I just honestly like the games.

I guess I can see people coming here to vent, but that's the mayority of their activities here; venting. I don't think they'll ever be a game that SNKP can produce that would make the community here happy, but alas it is their loss, let them weep I guess, I'll just try and stay away from all that crap, 'cause it only brings me down.

rarehero

20 Year Member
Quote:Can't fathom why the gameplay is different, why do I have to leave the stick on neutral while doing my combos?, I'm used to pressing foward!

hey immature guy who blindly defends his 60 dollar purchase.
you don't need to put words in my mouth.
I didn't say I couldn't do a combo,
I said it was different from previous kofs.
I was pretty happy when I figured out chain combos were in the game and things connected
that needed to connect.

You endlessly write walls of text about how you can't stand
people ragging on things you like and now you belittle me and other people
after I write what I think is a pretty unbiased account?

I think you need to grow up a little.
and quite frankly I thought you were sensible,
but it's more like you're petty and biased.
have fun with your incomplete overpriced game dude.
and tell wizkid and the rest of the guys on my ignore list hey for me.

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
To sort of add on to your example, I totally appreciate KOF XII for what it is.

But I ain't gonna praise it more than it deserves.

It's an incomplete product, period. There's nothing wrong with calling it what it is and rightly criticizing it for its MANY shortcomings. And I feel Rarehero's review, as well as my own thoughts and the thoughts of others around here, aren't just hate for hate's sake. A lot of us have intelligently dissected the game and exposed it's numerous flaws.

I DO feel SNK-P keeps making colossal fuckups, but as I've said before...not EVERYTHING they do is all cocked up. A bit of it is pretty damn good.

Well, remember that there are a lot of OLD SCHOOL fans in here and they're sick and tired of seeing their beloved franchises being continually mishandled. This is the place they come to in order to vent their frustrations.

We all know it can never be like it was in the past. KOF XI, NGBC and even KOF 2003 are all pretty great games. Even their flawed efforts have nice things about them, IMO. I don't even completely hate the Maximum Impact series. We're all just waiting for SNK-P to realize they have a legacy to live up to and so far, they have failed a lot more than they've succeeded. Cherrypicking what good you can find does not equate with a game being a quality effort.

very well said

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Rare, I think you need to realize that I wasn't belittleling you, however if that's how you see it then I apologize. We disagree on some things in the game, but I also agree in some things you pointed out.

You know I'm :icon 100: for you bud.

rarehero

20 Year Member
Rare, I think you need to realize that I wasn't belittleling you, however if that's how you see it then I apologize. We disagree on some things in the game, but I also agree in some things you pointed out.

You know I'm :icon 100: for you bud.

awe.
eg.
I could never quit you.
let's never fight again.