Raiden Fighters Jet

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Takumaji said:
Care to elaborate? I agree that one shouldn't use Raiden III as entry point, but other than that I quite enjoy it, except for the new green rubber laser perhaps and the boring music.

There was that other thread where I complained about various dislikes I had with the game. I did not like the final product, most of that being the gameplay itself: how the ships control, how the game plays, how the enemy patterns play out, how the bullets fly, the overall feeling is wrong to me for a Raiden game and not that inviting to me as a shooter in general, I don't care for the souped-up graphics really (fact: personally I most love the original Raiden series' look), the arcades were too noisy so I could not hear the music but it sounds as though I would not care for it in any case. It's simply nothing I cared much for but I will probably end up playing it some more since the Raiden Fighters machine here got taken out and I haven't found any other RF series games, and forget which arcade has DX. In the face of no Raiden, Cave shooters are non-existent here, so...... :angry:

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
BBH said:
I find the Ixion to be the best ship for me, as it combines speed with some decent-powered lasers and one of those nice bombs you can control the distance of.

I actually move around a lot between the Miclus, Fairy, Judge Spear and .. crap I forget, the one between them, but not the Raiden Mk.IIβ if it's between them, that other ship. Judge Spear was until recently my most-used ship though for sure. The missile power-up is great how it chain-links and if you power-up the laser properly you've got a pretty nice gun on your hands. I don't care how weak it is, I often go for the fastest ship since my philosophy in shooters is that if you can at least dodge all the bullets flying at you, you will eventually end up killing their source. And this is simplified with the fastest plane. Although I admit I am falling in love with the fairy, other than the fact that I often mistake a released fairy as one of my slaves and end up killing it.

BBH said:
just hover in that circled area for a couple seconds and the Miclus will appear. There are juuuuust enough medals prior to this point to be able to pick up the 2 million medal, so just back off and shoot the Miclus and then you'll be good to go...

And huge thanks for that image, I just need to find that game in one of the infinite number of arcades here now, or get my own PC when I get my flat in another few weeks. Being forced to give away the one in Japan sucked.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Neo Bomber Man said:
There was that other thread where I complained about various dislikes I had with the game. I did not like the final product, most of that being the gameplay itself: how the ships control, how the game plays, how the enemy patterns play out, how the bullets fly, the overall feeling is wrong to me for a Raiden game and not that inviting to me as a shooter in general, I don't care for the souped-up graphics really (fact: personally I most love the original Raiden series' look), the arcades were too noisy so I could not hear the music but it sounds as though I would not care for it in any case. It's simply nothing I cared much for but I will probably end up playing it some more since the Raiden Fighters machine here got taken out and I haven't found any other RF series games, and forget which arcade has DX. In the face of no Raiden, Cave shooters are non-existent here, so...... :angry:

I see.

You are right in a way, the new Raiden is a rather unspectacular release but I like its... uhm, calmness (is that a word?). The game puts me in just about the same "methodical swing" mode that I switch to when playing the first Raiden (or hori shmups like R-Type Final). The slow ship speed creates some slightly unfair situations from time to time but most patterns and enemy formations are doable with the correct dose of "groove" (most patterns are highly rhythmical).

IMO, Raiden III may not be perfect but overall, it's a nice change of pace from all those manic Cave shmups. Don't get me wrong, I love some Cave games like ESPGaluda but basically I prefer the slower-paced style.