Question about the Super Nova

lump505

Kabuki Klasher
How are the joysticks and the picture quality when you use the AV cables? Any info would really be appreciated. Also I was just wondering if Mas Systems is still in business because their site hasnt been updated in 1 year.

Thanks

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
How are the joysticks and the picture quality when you use the AV cables?

The joysticks are passable and give a true "arcade feel" to games, but they're a bit too big to sit comfortably in a persons lap. I'd suggest using them on a tabletop surface if possible. As for the video output options offered by the SuperNOVA, well, don't even consider using the composite video out. The NOVA has extremely poor quality composite video output, for some reason. Chalk it up as a problematic design flaw of the system. I'm not alone in my disdain for the NOVA's composite output. Many others have complained about the unit's sub-par component video quality. It truly is horrid (washed out colors and blurred images abound). The NOVA's S-Video output is passable, however. If your TV supports S-Video, by all means get yourself a NOVA. However, if your TV doesn't support S-Video, consider upgrading your TV before you invest in a SuperNOVA.

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
I agree with that 100%. The supernova gives me a headache after just a short time. Its image is terrible. The svideo is better, but its still bottom of the barrel. I had originally planned on buying a nova until I got to play a friend's. Now I'm glad I saved my money.
-nick_th_fury

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Those aren't really "superguns", they're Home Game Arcade systems (HGA) made by GW Trading:
http://www.gwtrading.com

I was considering getting an HGA system, then saw a very negative post about the company and their shitty service on one of the Yahoo message boards. Now I'm not sure what I'll do . . . I can get a MAS Super NOVA, or just bite the bullet and pick up a 2- or 4-slot cabinet. Either way, I've gotta have something to play my growing collection of MVS carts . . .

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
I would go with a Super Gun anyday over that crappy HGA.

Dion

s2112d

Zero's Secretary
20 Year Member
I'm the guy that posted about the HGA in the Yahoo forum...Well, Things havent gotten any better. I sent the unit back requesting a refund and everything is fine but they want me to speak to the manager first to get approval on the refund. She's on vacation and I'll have to call her tomorrow. Such a hassle.... I'm expecting a Super Nova soon.

Sal

Mike

Bead Banger
Hey Sal what problems did you have with the HGA? In detail please.

Thanks,
Mike

s2112d

Zero's Secretary
20 Year Member
Mike, I'll just do a cut and paste from the yahoo forum...

Well....Where do I start? I rush home today from work to check out this new system that I had just ordered, I was all amped up....As soon as I take it out of the box I notice that the joysticks look pretty beat up. Then as I'm preparing to hook it up, I cant find the s-video jack on it. I go ahead and call the manufacture. I'm thinking that its hidden somewhere, Although I remember reading somewhere that its on the front panel. So I go ahead and call them, The guy says oh' Its on the front....you cant miss it. Obviously its not there, I mention that to him and he responds thats strange? Then says oh maybe we sent you the old model by accident. Sorry, Send it back. To his credit he did say that he would refund my shipping charges. Then I mention the fact that joysticks are in terrible condition. He says all of them are like that. Thats how we receive them. Huh? $300 worth of new merchandise and it looks like its been thru hell.... Keeping calm yet very disapointed I proceeded to pack it up send it back. As I'm looking at my receipt I noticed that I had also ordered wrestlefest, I had forgot that I ordered it, One problem though....He charged me and yet didnt include it! So I go ahead and call him again. He says.....Hmm.....Thats wierd, oh wait a sec. We may have forgot to include it. ok....no sh*t.... Trying to make the best out of a bad situation I had decided to keep the system, As I'm about to hook it up, I notice that one of plastic shells over the cable is cracked. I said thats it...Its going back. So far I'm very unhappy with the HGA system. $700 worth of equipment yet I received nothing but junk. The only two items that I received in good shape would be the mvs one slot and Blazing Stars. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome of this. I'm starting to wish I went with the Super Nova...I may go that route if this doesnt get resolved.

Sal

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
The biggest problem with these systems is that they are only as good as the RGB-NTSC converter used in the construction process. These converters can be well made or mass produced with minimal effort just like every other type of computer chip or board. I have an old style Super Nova and the composite outs are bad, however, the S-Video is pretty good. The video quality also gets some disruption with your cable jacked in so get used to disconnecting your cable jack or you will get these light vertically scrolling lines assuming MAS is using the same converters. The controllers are good on the system, but here are two problems: 1 they are SF layout so you will be using buttons 1, 2, 3, and 6 for the Neo games. Got to get used to that and you must connect the fourth button manually through the SF2 extra button harness or Jamma connecter. Basically, if you have the old style Neo sticks just buy a 2 slot MVS and use the stick inputs from that to use your home sticks. Much easier.

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
The controllers are good on the system, but here are two problems: 1 they are SF layout so you will be using buttons 1, 2, 3, and 6 for the Neo games. Got to get used to that and you must connect the fourth button manually through the SF2 extra button harness or Jamma connecter.

Yeah, I forgot to mention those noteworthy shortcomings of the SuperNOVA. The joysticks' "Capcom style" button layouts are a major annoyance for those wanting to play Neo-Geo fighting games; so much so that I too would suggest going with a 2-slot MVS board just so that the home system joysticks can be used with it.

neonut

Crossed Swords Squire
You are all complaining about the game sticks, all you have to do is ask CAL at MAS systems (assuming thats where you bought your nova) to do the conversion to neo arcade sticks that look identical to the ones in the arcade.....And they have the same port configuration as the home system, so you cant change back and forth....But it will cost extra, thats what I did. Capcom button layout is unexceptable for snk games!

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
You are all complaining about the game sticks, all you have to do is ask CAL at MAS systems (assuming thats where you bought your nova) to do the conversion to neo arcade sticks that look identical to the ones in the arcade.....

That's definitely an option to keep in mind, but it would severely limit the utility of the SuperNOVA's joysticks. If all you want to do is play MVS titles with your NOVA, then getting your sticks converted would be great. However, if you decide you want to play some CPS2/3 titles, well, you'll be SOL. BTW, I didn't buy my NOVA directly from MAS. I purchased it through Video Connection over a year ago.

[This message has been edited by DolphinLord (edited September 18, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by DolphinLord (edited September 18, 2000).]