PS3 HDMI to VGA -> MS2930 testing (pic heavy) Super Neo 29 Candy

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Purchased a $7.00 HDMI to VGA adapter, one that includes an active chipset powered via the HDMI output.

Thought I'd post a ton of photos of various PS3/PS2 titles for anyone interested in the display quality via VGA on a Nanao MS-2930 monitor.

UltraSF4 is absolutely perfect 4:3 480p, KOFXIII displays perfectly other than being letterboxed. All PS2 titles however are a mixture of having gaps at the top and sides or only sides which can't be corrected completely via V-SIZE or H-SIZE, you can get close but not perfect when maxed out. Not sure if maxing out those pots is healthy for the monitor... ?

Games that are 480p ports like Atomiswave or Naomi games are more crisp than say 3rd Strike.

If I used an RGB SCART cable the PS2 quality might be better under 15khz. Might try that in the future but for a USF4 and KOFXIII machine it's pretty perfect!

Enjoy!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg19.jpg20.jpg21.jpg22.jpg23.jpg24.jpg25.jpg26.jpg

Last edited:

Bagheera369

New Challenger
Those look great!
Have done the same thing with a ps3 to WeiYa 3129, which I have in my Atomiswave Sd. Played Raiden IV and Mamorokun on it for a while, before switching back to 360 for the cave shmups.
Have also used the same adapter on my Raspi to Sanwa 29e31s in my Tekken 5 dedicated cab, and it worked great too, I even managed a craftymech miniSLG in there to give it scanlines.

Bagheera369

New Challenger
Capcom Vs SNK 2 will have the same inherent lag that all ps1/2 classics have over HDMI. This is due to the PS3 deinterlacing the classic's 480i signal to output Ps3's hdmi minimum of 480p.
If you were running component out on the ps3, then it will output 480i over component, which will be lag free. Component wont do 1080p on ps3, but that's fine if you are leaving the ps3 in a VGA monitor arcade cab. This would require some way to get 480i component signal converted into the 480p your monitor is expecting. (framemeister/ossc but even these add at least a few frames of lag due to processing)

Only the ps1/2 classics have this issue, as all other games for ps3 output minimum of 480p, so the rest of the games should be lag free, up to the Hdmi to VGA converter, at least. I have used similar Hdmi to VGA, and have found the Raspi and ps3 games I used on it, to be completely playable, and did not notice lag when playing anything.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Interesting to know that it deinterlaces, I wonder if the PS2 games with progressive support are hindered by this?

I think the only PS3 game that has native support for 480p is Street Fighter 4 and its variants unfortunately. KOFXIII is acceptable but VF5 suffers from the same slightly smaller picture like the PS1/2 games do my monitor's h-size and v-size max about about halfway to correcting it. Fun little exercise though!

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
You can get 480p RGB SoG directly from a PS3, you could bypass the adapter and use that. You'll need a sync stripper since your monitor probably won't support SoG.

For KOF you could try anamorphic mode and adjusting v size on your monitor until it's 16:9. You lose so much detail using letterbox :crying:

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
There's lag on PS1 games through component even if you are on a SDTV. I can't play Umjammer Lammy for shit on PS3, but if I go to a real PS1/2 I'm an instant expert.

Bagheera369

New Challenger
Lachlan - Tekken 5 DR had 480p support. Momorokun (shmup) does too, along with Raiden IV Overkill I believe. The list is way smaller than on 360, which has much better 480p support. CritterCrunch, which is an excellent PS3 puzzler, similar to Neo's MPE is also 480p.

DanAdam - Forgot about RGsB support on PS3. You are right though...should work fine on a VGA screen. Still not outputting 15K to anything unfortunately.

GohanX - Didn't know that. I only have a few ps1 games on Ps3...and I have em on a 480i capable tv via component. Haven't had any issues with those, and I figured MegaMan8 would have shown problems.
Not suprising with music games being the true test of any input lag.