PS2 Neo Collections - Inconsistancy Discussion

lordnikon

Another Striker
I have been slowly but surely acquiring the various NEOGEO Online Collection releases on the PS2. So far I have:

Bakumatsu Roman - Last Blade 2-in-1
Garou Densetsu Battle Archives Vol. 1
Garou Densetsu Battle Archives Vol. 2
King of Fighters NESTS Collection

What strikes me is the inconsistant emulation on all of these releases. Do any of you know if different dev teams are working on these collections? Because both of the Fatal Fury collections are SUPERB. The emulation has zero sprite flicker, and has scan lines. They look just like the NeoGeo versions.

Last Blade and NESTS are a whole different story. The Last Blade games are competant, but they have some sprite flicker and lack any scanlines. The NESTS collection is a complete lazy waste of time. The developers essentially ported the Dreamcast version of King of Fighters 99 Evolution, and bundled in the pre-existing PS2 ports of KOF2000 and 2001. Then they added crap emulation versions of 1999, 2000, and 2001. These emulations have NO NeoGeo AES intro, suffer from brutal sprite flicker, brightness issues, and jaggy pixels.

Does anyone know if KOF OROCHI Collection, Garou, or Art of Fighting have similar issues?

Plus I am wondering who is overseeing Kizuna Encounter's upcoming port, let alone the Samurai Shodown / World Heroes compilations.

I just don't get why the Fatal Fury compilations are so perfect, and yet the others seem half-assed.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Garou MOTW is probably the best port out of this bunch, AOF is just as good as the Fatal Fury Archives, I'm not sure about the Orochi Saga, but I haven't heard nothing spectacular about them.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Garou MOTW is probably the best port out of this bunch, AOF is just as good as the Fatal Fury Archives, I'm not sure about the Orochi Saga, but I haven't heard nothing spectacular about them.

I was thinking of collecting this myself, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle, I rather buy some shooters for the PS2, or some atomiswave ports I do not intend to buy carts at the moment like Hokuto No ken.

Melty Blood AC and GG XX AC is on my want list as well for the PS2.

lordnikon

Another Striker
Actually all of the NEOGEO collections are about to go SNK BEST budget releases any week now. You will be able to score them for $19.99 a pop off yesasia with free shipping.

So Art of Fighting has no sprite flicker and has scanlines?

TobyD81

n00b
While we're discussing PS2 Neo Geo ports, what are everyone's feelings on the Metal Slug Anthology for PS2? Forty bucks is a damn good deal for games that can go for a lot more by themselves, but are there any technical issues?

lordnikon

Another Striker
I should have the remaining games I need soon. I just ordered Orochi and AOF collections so I will be able to give a complete analysis of the emulation quality of each NeoGeo Online Collection release.

As for Metal Slug Anthology, there was a thread over at NeoGAF forums a while back which made screen comparisons side-by-side to the NeoGeo releases. I only have MSA on the PSP (import as Metal Slug Complete). So I can't say anything about the PS2 version yet. What I can say is that the Japanese cover for Metal Slug Complete is way better than the fugly North American Metal Slug Anthology cover.