Problems with jap. AES / RGB / CRT TV

rlo

n00b
Hi there! Hope someone can help me.. I've got some consoles hooked up to a Panasonic CRT TV (a TX-14S4TC, probably about 5-10 years old). I live in Germany, so natively, the TV processes PAL signals. A modded Mega Drive (Genesis) at 60Hz/NTSC/RGB as well as a consolized MVS at 60Hz/NTSC/RGB work perfectly with this TV.

Hooking up my japanese AES however only produces a b/w picture (the picture is fine otherwise, sound is fine, too). Even stranger: if I open a TV menu (which is sort of see-through, you know what i mean), the on-screen space taken up by the menu, or even the space taken up by "AV"-sign in the upper left of the screen is colored (as in: in this space (only), the TV shows the correctly colored signal).

Does anyone have an idea what's the problem here and if there is anything i can do?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Get an RGB monitor or convert your AES to PAL.

rlo

n00b
Ok, so this is not a problem you've ever heard of? I'm just wondering that MD and MVS signals display fine when all three are 60Hz/NTSC/RGB. Another TV I had (that broke down), a Thomson CRT, displayed all three fine (but just on two of its three scart inputs, the third had the same b/w-problem just with the AES).

Born Full Grown

Collects conversions. Can't seem to prove otherwis
What youre saying here is youve got the AES connected with RGB? And at a guess youre using a SCART cable?

The TV is displaying it as composite, and when you have the OSD on, the OSD blanking is showing the RGB signal. I would bet if you were to put the full screen into OSD blanking youll see the RGB image, but you shouldnt need to go to that trouble, cause i reckon your connection is missing the blanking signal on the SCART plug.

Pin 4 on the 8 pin DIN socket should be putting out 5v, and it should connect straight to pin 8 on the SCART plug, then pin 8 should be connected to pin 16 with a 180 ohm resistor. That will be your problem.

rlo

n00b
If this affects anybody else, this seems to be the problem (many thanks to Born Full Grown for explaining this to me!): This is no PAL/NTSC issue or RGB incompatibility of the TV. My RGB Scart cable seems to not transmit the "blanking signal" that tells the TV to switch to RGB input. The TV auto-switches to Composite and the picture is b/w. Forcing the TV to switch to RGB isn't possible (on this TV; others do this). My older TV auto-switched to RGB and the picture was fine. My other RGB systems/cables do transmit the blanking signal - they display fine on the TV that displays the AES in b/w.

So getting another cable that transmits the blanking signal will (very probably) solve my problem. People more adept than me in technical things could probably fix the cable - i don't think i can.

Born Full Grown

Collects conversions. Can't seem to prove otherwis
Keep us posted on how you go ;)

Another thing to look at is if the console is a 3-5 or 3-6 then pin 7 wont be sync, itll be tied to pin 3, which is composite video. This is probably not going to be an issue cause the SCART cable will probably be using composite video for the sync anyway.

Would be good if the Mega Drive SCART cable fit properly into the NEO-GEO so you could test it.

rlo

n00b
Would be good if the Mega Drive SCART cable fit properly into the NEO-GEO so you could test it.

It doesn't - got the MD without a cable because I thought (read it somewhere) that they were interchangeable between AES and MD, but it definetely does not fit. Nearly wrecked the MD input trying before I got an MD (1) RGB Scart cable that fits/works fine. That cable also does not fit the AES. Is that a myth, one cable working for both, or is it different with different revisions of the AES or the MD?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The MD and AES scart cable are not interchangeable in any way. Not only are the pins in a different orientation, the MD scart cable has caps and resistors on the RGB lines that the AES cable doesn't.

rlo

n00b
to resolve this issue: i got a new RGB scart cable (from retro gaming cables), and the problem is gone! wonderful!