Picked up Dark Souls PTDie for the first time...

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I've never played any of the "Souls" games before. Never really seen a great deal of footage or know a lot about them either to be honest.

Quite simply, they have a reputation of difficulty that precedes them and this has always intrigued me.

I went into a game shop last weekend and glanced over the PS3 2nd hand section and spotted Dark Souls. So I decided to pick it up and give it a go, just to see what it's all about.

So far, so good. I've become captured by the want to play it as often as I can and thoroughly enjoy the levelling aspect so far.

I've decided to start my Souls career as a Wanderer and wondered if anyone here could shed any experience or useful advice I could use to enhance my 'journey'.

I've found a blacksmith and bought all the relevant 'boxes', so that should help, long term. I've also been focusing all my level ups on: Vitality, Endurance, Strength & Dexterity in these early stages.

I like how the character handles curved blades best (like a Samurai, almost). Presumably, I'm best sticking with that sort of weapon moving forwards?

ALSO...

What's the general consensus on the series and which of the 3 is considered the best and... are ALL 3 worth playing at some point? (for me, it would be DaS, DeS, DaSII)...

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
The meta game in the first two souls games requires min-maxing stat distribution according to your intentions with the character build.

And as far as "intentions" go, you have 3 options:
1)PvP
2)PvE
3)"Fashion Souls"

First two are common terms and the last one basically means optimizing your stats to use spells/equipment to look really stylish. Which is usually how I play the game once I figured it out.

So basically, you're going on your first playthrough (where everything is "easy") and you'll discover most of the weapons, spells, armor, loot, etc.

Then you're going to mix and match said equipment, then pick a favorite weapon/playstyle, and then at some point you're going to want to start a new character and build him/her around your fav gear....or you'll just be a dick and make another "giant dad".

Some other advice: stat scaling drops right off past 50 points, and its better to pick a side between dex/str and faith/magic.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

I'm not playing this online. I made the mistake of 'signing in' one evening, just to have someone invade and annihilate me. Fabulous.

Had to look up PvP & PvE I'm afraid. Never heard of these terms prior to looking into this game.

I'm more of a hand to hand/melee style player myself. Most of my work so far has been accomplished using a combination of a +5 Scimitar and +5 Battle Axe. I've rung the first bell so far (past the two Gargoyles).

Based on my penchant for hand-to-hand combat, I presume I should concentrate my lvls on Strength & Endurance?

Might start investing in a bow & arrow set-up too soon. Probably somewhat useful.

Heard of this 'Giant dad' thing on and around the net. Nothing quite as amusing a that video though...

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
All melee playstyle? Well fuck it then! go for a giant dad or havel mom build lmao.

NeoGeoNinja

The problem with the game is that it is too damn good at playing like a 'standard' third person hack and slash.

The marriage of European game design meets Japanese games developers means that the gameplay in this is worth a shit. The hack n slash gameplay is too satisfying to overlook so far.

It's really hard to pinpoint, but at many time throughout my time with this game, aside From Softs well known penchant for detail (re: Armored Core series), the game has a quite the Resident Evil vibe going on a lot of the time. And it does it really well too.

I've just reached the point where I can wield the Claymore singlehandedly. Quite a dangerous proposition, I imagine.

Incidentally, I don't think I have before encountered a game with such in-depth layers of intricacy woven within it. I decided to take a look at some Wiki's/Guides. Looks like you need a degree in understanding the laws and regulations of the game before you even put the disc in the fucking machine!

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
There's a PS3 version of the Prepare To Die edition? Nice! I'll have to get it once I get a PS3.

Just one question, is the DLC already included on the disc or is it on on a voucher?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Learn to parry. So much fun.
Heh this not to mention,NeoGeoNinja once you get dark souls mechanics down it get's simple afterwards.Just beware the pvp in the game is very broken.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Agreed. Once you know how to play the game it gets easier and IMO more fun.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Just my .02. Don't lynch me.

Demon's Souls-best boss fights in the series. Good level design with annoying fucking enemies.

Dark Souls-Best overall game in series. Boss fights aren't as good as Demon's Souls, but the enemies are better balanced and the level design is just as good. The DLC is great, too.

Dark Souls II-Utter disappointment. The changes they made to the formula absolutely do not work for me and I think the game is worse for them. I am, however, going to give the game a second look at some point in the future. If I like it enough, I'll give the DLC a try as I hear it's quite good (for whatever that's worth.)

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Dark Souls 2

Shit level design:
(like taking an elevator at the top of a windmill and winding up in the middle of a volcano)

Shit boss design:
Gank Squad
Elana + Velstadt clone AND 3 fucking skeletons,
Lost Sinner + 2 fucking pyros throwing shit at you from off screen
3-5 gargoyles at the same time
Throne watcher/Defender, just run and roll X100 and MAYBE you'll have a chance to attack without getting punished
Dark Lurker: only way is OP pyromancy or miracles and a lot of luck...with melee you're fucked in NG+++++

Shit NPCs
No connected backstory to any of them and whatever is given is fucking dull and pointless....plus they are all forgetting who/where they are. Fucking lame.

Shit Lore
In Dark Souls 1 there was a strangely connected dichotomy of light and dark.
Lordran was ground zero for a disaster of light as suggested with flickering embers in the air
Oolacile was ground zero for a disaster of Dark as suggested by the floating black "soot" in the air

And either side you took left you fucked either way as you played into the hands of the abyss worms

In Dark Souls 2, there was some shit about faceless Giants getting turned into an ancient dragon in a lab, and then cloning a woman from a dragon so she could be a firekeeper, and some shit about Vendrick being at war with the Giants but also being at war with the sunken king blah blah blah.....I just couldn't give a flying fuck about any of this.

Taiso: the DLC might be worth it for the loot, but if you're in it for the strategic gameplay you miss from DS1, I'd say forget about it and start looking forward to bloodborne since

1) It's being made by the team who worked on Demons Souls and
2)
C9TLO7c.gif
It's probably a direct sequel to Demons Souls

Last edited:

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I hope this is the new tagline for Bloodborne.
Has a nice ring to it.

good one!

NeoGeoNinja:
Dark Souls is awesome! It took me a little while to get used to the mechanics and controls, but once you get more comfortable with it, it's much more fun. Honestly since I have been playing the first one about a year and a half ago, I keep coming back to DS and DS2. I've been playing the DLC on Dark Souls 2 lately, but have kinda thought about starting over Dark Souls again, just because its addicting.

Oh and don't play offline. Once you get the hang of the game you will be able to beat the fuck out of most invaders which gets you a bunch of souls, and makes you feel like a badass! Online really is a big part of the game IMO. Also you can help people with boss fights or get help for boss fights.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
You still playing this? I was looking for a bloodborne thread and found this. I have hundreds of hours in the 3 souls games, I'm doing a level 1 playthrough on dark souls 1 now. So if you need any tips I can probably be of assistance.

You have to play demon's souls. Dark Souls is the best game in the series, but demon's souls is my favorite. I love the atmosphere, and difficulty. It's instantly one of my all time favorites.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
OP if you're still playing with your Wanderer, get your Dex to 40, find the falchion and level it up to +15 and wield it two handed.

My SL 130 Wanderer is still parked in NG++ Anor Londo after finishing the platinum trophy last year. I may try to get back into the pvp, I think I'm still in the meta range.

@marktheshark - if you're still wondering, the PS3 Prepare to Die Edition includes all the DLC on the disc, and since the PS3 is region free, it's the best version of the game. I imported the UK version because I refuse to buy DLC.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Easily put 180 hours in DS1, I was hooked!

Didn't play DS2 for that very reason.

But I'm looking forward to getting hooked all over again with Bloodborne ... whenever I get around to buying a PS4.

Metal-Willis

Super Sidekicks 2
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls(1) are great games and should be played. I'm not a huge RPG game fan, but these games had me hooked as far as exploring and trying to get a litter further each time I played even though it was ridiculously late and I should have been sleeping.