PC Engine/Turbo Grafx 16 Mini announced

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
It's going to adjust the way I play, but while we're on the subject, does anyone actually use all three notches on the original controller?

I feel like I just switch all the way up or down, never in between.

Only when I'm playing Gunboat (it's a weapon selector... clever, unlike the rest of the game)
edit: I was checking the manual and its apparently used to select all sorts of crap like setting the gunner AI mode and stuff. Again, its hilarious that an attempt was made at mapping complex stuff to the pad but no attempt at making a decent playing game.

Also, I don't mind moving the switches up and down to disable/enable turbo on the fly, but it does seem like something people not used to it would find odd.

Last edited:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Interesting about Gunboat, had no idea about that.

I never use the middle setting, but I do use the high turbo setting on Ninja Spirit sometimes. Powered up bombs on turbo completely trivialize most bosses in that game.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Amazon apparently set their automated order updater to use the placeholder date re: TurboGrafx Mini pre-orders. I got an e-mail today with an updated estimated arrival date of January 4th, 2021, lol.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Amazon apparently set their automated order updater to use the placeholder date re: TurboGrafx Mini pre-orders. I got an e-mail today with an updated estimated arrival date of January 4th, 2021, lol.

It's the turbografx's launch all over again... good for Konami for maintaining authenticity lol

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
When i saw that notice i was like wtf !?? Now thinking i may cancel my preorder and just buy one from amazon jpn instead.

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
It's going to adjust the way I play, but while we're on the subject, does anyone actually use all three notches on the original controller?

I feel like I just switch all the way up or down, never in between.

I know I used low and max as a kid with a real TG-16 console, pretty sure low was occasionally handy if max rapid fire speed was too off from what the game could process.

8bit-Do-Turbo-Pad.png

Something else came to mind when I saw this photo with the original product, you're 2 more buttons away to achieve a 6-button NEC Avenue pad mold and could've included fighting games!

I was telling Chris Tang what he thought about my feeling given the money - the most expensive mini at present - that they could've gone with the 6-button NEC Avenue pad, included Street Fighter II CE, Fatal Fury 2/Special, World Heroes 2 (since Arcade CD memory was emulated for Sapphire). That would've turned some heads and improved sales quite a bit I suspect!

I never got to play SFII with my 6-button pad... By the time I bought one, PS1 era was around, I never got a region adapter for my Turbo Duo or the SFII HuCard, so it was a waste of $40 at the time... I would've liked the option with this!

Chris argued while it would've been nice, the small % of games that use it would've confused most people. Most 2B games freak out if you have it set to 6B mode on original hardware.

I thought about it again, that with emulation you could control the freak-out problem, use 2 extra buttons for turbo, the other 2 for save/load states/features, and II/I as normal... And then if you load SF II, boom, it's full 6 button mode. It could've been justified like that I suppose, but just like a SuperGrafx mini mold, it was not destined to happen.

When i saw that notice i was like wtf !?? Now thinking i may cancel my preorder and just buy one from amazon jpn instead.

Yeah, that's what everyone did with a preorder, it's not much trouble to figure out Amazon Japan. Amazing shipping time to boot, I ordered on the 3rd, it was dropped off on the 7th!

capnd77

Marked Wolf
TG-16 Mini is now sold out on Amazon Japan, still some PCE mini's and Coregrafx available though. I wonder if they'll get more in stock...

NightWolve

NEST Puppet

Conversly Happy Console Gamer is, yep, happy! Chris Tang makes a friendly neighborhood visit as well. I gave him the Bithead link last night actually, but he didn't wanna watch it, lol.

We all know Bithead's point, an unlicensed Chinese product will give you thousands of ROMs and a multi-platform emulator from arcade to retro consoles, but yeah, this cannot be done legally given the huge costs it would amount to with an official product... It would be cool, yes, but that's the way it is.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

It won't be the actual ship date- Dec 31 is usually used as a placeholder when there's no set release date for something on Amazon, GS, whatever. It'll be out this summer, Konami wouldn't have sent review units to websites otherwise.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
lol he pulls the old "but you can do that with a raspberry pi" argument....i hate the internet

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
that they could've gone with the 6-button NEC Avenue pad, included Street Fighter II CE, Fatal Fury 2/Special, World Heroes 2 (since Arcade CD memory was emulated for Sapphire)

I agree with them not going this route from a business standpoint. They'd have to pay rights to SNK/Capcom AND I don't think it would be THAT much of a boost in sales to justify it.

nobody here cares about these youtube losers

0 fucks given on this guy's opinion. If people don't know about RPI3 or emulation then fuck them. I'm super excited about opening a TG16 again for the first time in 30 years. For my SSDS3, I decided to go with a CoreGrafx (I owned two TG16s previously), so it's nice to have a mini console that actually brings back some nostalgia.

Ajax

15 Year Member

This, 1,000x over.

Everybody has access to a smartphone and a shitty opinion these days. Why these youtubers think their shitty opinions are worth being broadcast on the internet, I will never know.

TG16 Mini is awesome. Couldn't possibly care less that Konami is responsible for it. What have they done lately? Gave us the PC Engine minis, I guess.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
This, 1,000x over.

Everybody has access to a smartphone and a shitty opinion these days. Why these youtubers think their shitty opinions are worth being broadcast on the internet, I will never know.

TG16 Mini is awesome. Couldn't possibly care less that Konami is responsible for it. What have they done lately? Gave us the PC Engine minis, I guess.

Well it's also M2's and Hori's effort. Overall a very solid product, even with Konami's involvement. I do miss Download and something like Legendary Axe though, I would trade that for something like Moto Roader or J.J and Jeff without a second thought.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
It won't be the actual ship date- Dec 31 is usually used as a placeholder when there's no set release date for something on Amazon, GS, whatever. It'll be out this summer, Konami wouldn't have sent review units to websites otherwise.
If this pandemic ever does settle down and manufacturing picks up again.Though i got the same e-mail from amazon stating jan 6th 2021 for it's u.s release.I don't know if i want to wait that long for a shipment,thinking at this point.

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
I agree with them not going this route from a business standpoint. They'd have to pay rights to SNK/Capcom AND I don't think it would be THAT much of a boost in sales to justify it.
Yeah, I hear ya. They did already have to talk business to Capcom for the SuperGrafx Ghouls'n'Ghosts though, so SFII CE could've been thrown in for one price. As for "SNK," gotta figure re-licensing would be super cheap given their turbulent state. Just a hunch.

Reality, yeah, there were simply too few 6-button games, that came too late in the console's life cycle. It's a spit-balling what-if. For the price though I would've appreciated it.

Anyway. S'all good, I thought Konami would mostly do nothing with Hudson IP (occasional Bomberman exceptions), never expected this (for them to jump on the mini bandwagon), so...

Last edited:

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member

Lol, i have that gamebox shown in the video. It's ok but the romz are still illegal. This guy is a complete moron. What a fucking loser.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Library complaints in these things are kinda stupid since you can just jailbreak it and put in Shiawase Usagi 2 or whatever the game you feel it's missing from it if you so desire... which also makes the vegan-like Raspberry Pi users' point moot, too.

PS: bithead1000 is highly entertaining but don't expect any "expert" Wikipedia-reading videogame opinions out of it, it's not the point of the channel.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Well it's also M2's and Hori's effort. Overall a very solid product, even with Konami's involvement. I do miss Download and something like Legendary Axe though, I would trade that for something like Moto Roader or J.J and Jeff without a second thought.

For sure, no intention of undermining Hori and M2's effort here. The guy in the video asked the question, "what has Konami done for me lately?" so I was referencing that. ;)

And yes, fully agree on some of the included games. Always the case with these minis. I feel like they hit the mark pretty well with this one, but of course a few choices that would have been better. I just wish they would have put the Japanese version of Ninja Spirit on for the cool cover art instead of the crap US one, haha. As Burning Fight!! mentioned, we'll just hack them and add what we feel is missing at some point.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
For sure, no intention of undermining Hori and M2's effort here. The guy in the video asked the question, "what has Konami done for me lately?" so I was referencing that. ;)

And yes, fully agree on some of the included games. Always the case with these minis. I feel like they hit the mark pretty well with this one, but of course a few choices that would have been better. I just wish they would have put the Japanese version of Ninja Spirit on for the cool cover art instead of the crap US one, haha. As Burning Fight!! mentioned, we'll just hack them and add what we feel is missing at some point.

Ya, but it's still a pretty neat selection of games overall. With a library bigger than the Supergrafx (:lolz:) you're bound to have games that are going to be left out, especially since CD games have to compete for space...

The appeal for me is the build quality, the controllers and peripherals, the front-end... software is the least of one's worries with these.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I got mine a few weeks ago and have really been enjoying it. The interface is fucking great and the snappiness of it makes navigating the menus enjoyable. I really like how the port cover comes off the TG16, but I hate that they took it too hardcore and left the really annoying rear port configuration.

Yeah they missed some games that should’ve been obvious choices, but what they did include is almost all excellent.