OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I'd like to give Strange New Worlds a try. In the unlikely event that they somehow got Star Trek right for once, I'd like to support it to show there's still interest in real Star Trek. Not sure how to watch it from here, though. Paramount+ is not a thing in Japan (thankfully).
You'll have to use a VPN combined with a Paramount+ trial.

Or pirate the hell out of it.

SNW is as close as you're going to get to classic episodic Trek.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
You'll have to use a VPN combined with a Paramount+ trial.

Or pirate the hell out of it.

SNW is as close as you're going to get to classic episodic Trek.
I have to imagine it will show up on one of the streaming services here at some point. Like HBO Max stuff comes to a service called U-Next. Which is what I'll have to get if I want to watch Peacemaker. Unfortunately, the monthly fee is a little higher than netflix.

Pirating defeats the purpose of wanting to show support. Plus at this point, I no longer know where to go to pirate stuff. 10 years ago, that was easy. But now, everything seems super-sketchy. And I'd need a vpn for that as well.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
In that case, if you're patient enough to wait, use a VPN with a trial of Paramount+ and binge all of season 1.

It's possible they may toss the first episode on Youtube as a taster for the series. IIRC they did that with Discovery and Picard.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Just dont watch the remake. Jaden Smith is insufferably terrable.

edit: apparently I cant spell 'terrible.'

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Just dont watch the remake. Jaden Smith is insufferably terrable.

Didn’t even know their was one.

FreeVee (imdbtv) has a bunch of old sci fi films and some modern classics like Clownado, Atlantic Rim, and Sharktopus vs Wolf Whale (all films better than anything Jaden has been in.)

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Didn’t even know their was one.

FreeVee (imdbtv) has a bunch of old sci fi films and some modern classics like Clownado, Atlantic Rim, and Sharktopus vs Wolf Whale (all films better than anything Jaden has been in.)
Yeah man, its got Keanu Reeves as Klaatu, and GORT is just some dumb 'force' or some shit, I honestly don't even remember because all I wanted to do was murder that kid.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Oh ha ha, it's Sir Mix-a-Lot. But they missed Spock's cadence completely.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
In addition, canonically, there is no evidence to suggest Spock has any preference in the matter in either direction. The asses of the three females he showed any interest in at all over the course of the original series were average-sized at most.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
He has a love interest in Strange New Worlds.

Not sure about how I feel about that.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Let me rewatch that episode and I’ll let you know.
It would be nice, as if one of the writers actually watched an episode of Star Trek once as a kid and almost kind of remembered something about it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I always assume that the writers would rewatch all the relavent shows.

Certainly they have a show Bible at least since the TNG era?

Who knows.

Strange New Worlds also has Nurse Chapel lol.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
At the absolute minimum they should have a comic book guy kind of consultant, who they actually listen to.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

Certainly they have a show Bible at least since the TNG era?

Who knows.

A bible is something that is created for each show, not passed down and added to from show to show. I mean, the same people (basically) made TNG, DS9, Voyager, etc., so obviously they had access to each other's bibles and whatnot. But this completely new group 25+ years later? They might not have access to that old stuff; it might no longer even exist. And if they do, they clearly haven't spent any time reading any of it. Their knowledge of and callbacks to old Trek are so surface level, and in more than a couple cases, contradictory to what they're attempting to call back to.

And I don't think they've watched the relevant shows. I really don't. I think maybe some of them watched a handful of episodes, maybe the abysmal First Contact, and thought, Okay! Good to go!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Does it have Number One, Pike's female second in command (who ironically was played by the actress who later played Nurse Chapel in the original series) from The Cage?

StevenK

10 Year Member
Does it have Number One, Pike's female second in command (who ironically was played by the actress who later played Nurse Chapel in the original series) from The Cage?
That was roddenberry's wife, who went on to do the ship's computer voice for decades, and troi's awful mother.

Apologies if everyone already knew that.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Yes, she is played by Rebbeca Romijn of all people!

Pike played a prominent role in Discovery season 2, and number one was in several episodes. She is interrogated at one point and when asked for her name she says “Number One.”

I believe they’ve subsequently given her a name in strange new worlds.

Strange New Worlds also has Kirk’s brother in it.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
A bible is something that is created for each show, not passed down and added to from show to show. I mean, the same people (basically) made TNG, DS9, Voyager, etc., so obviously they had access to each other's bibles and whatnot. But this completely new group 25+ years later? They might not have access to that old stuff; it might no longer even exist. And if they do, they clearly haven't spent any time reading any of it. Their knowledge of and callbacks to old Trek are so surface level, and in more than a couple cases, contradictory to what they're attempting to call back to.

And I don't think they've watched the relevant shows. I really don't. I think maybe some of them watched a handful of episodes, maybe the abysmal First Contact, and thought, Okay! Good to go!
They probably read some pages on Memory Alpha (how the fuck would they know about Gary Seven?) and went "yep, that's all we need to know".

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Watched the first episode of Voyager last night, which I'd never seen before. All I'd seen previously were a few random episodes from maybe the first couple seasons, all of which were awful.

The series premere was about what I expected. It felt more Star Trek-y than the current stuff, but not great. An okay premise that steals bits from better things like Space:1999 and the Martian Chronicles, but very sloppily written. Surprisingly sloppily written, considering how many years they'd been doing it at this point. I kept trying to remind myself that the first episode of TNG wasn't great either, but I still don't really feel like continuing with Voyager. It still has my favorite opening credits to any Star Trek, though.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Voyager suffers at times from Gilligan’s Island syndrome. Wacky attempts to get back to the Alpha quadrant but you know they’re always going to fail. They’re always going to be stuck on the Island because otherwise the show would end.

The idea of integrating the Starfleet and Maquis crew was decent but a lot of the characters are kind of weak. I mean does anyone like ensign Harry? Tom Paris? Tuvok? Did you like Chakote after his 10th vision quest? They’re all kind of boring.

Lack of familiarity was also a problem. You introduce a species…but then they keep flying away and we never meet them again.

So they threw in the Borg. Ugh. In their defense the Borg are said to be from the delta quadrant.

Too bad they never found the machine planet Voyager 6 was from (maybe they did and I missed it.)

Oh wel, Voyager does have the most ridiculous Trek episode of all time: Did you know in ancient prehistory there was a species of dinosaurs on earth who were a technological civilization that escaped Earth before the meteor destroyed it? (They had advanced space flight and generation ships but couldn’t destroy the space threat…? Don’t think about it too much.) The plot of the episode is basically
Planet of the Apes but with dinosaurs.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
because otherwise the show would end.
Speaking of "otherwise the show would end", the first episode ends with a space battle where the Voyager is outnumbered and outclassed with even more enemy dreadnoughts coming, Chakote has to sacrifice his own ship just to buy them a few seconds. And then the alien leader says, "You made an enemy today," and LEAVES. I was like, wait, what?? Because yeah, I get it, if they stayed and finished the fight, Voyager would have easily been destroyed and the series would have been over. But holy shit, what lazy, sloppy writing. They couldn't have thought of a less nonsensical way to resolve that?

The other couple things that stood out to me were Paris sexually harassing the female pilot on the shuttle ride to Voyager. Fucking aggressively. That wouldn't have made it on tv today. Then later, Paris calling Chakote an "Indian" and playing up some Indian stereotypes. Just crazy shit by today's standards. And are we calling them Indians in the future? But it got me thinking, what would they be called? "Native American" wouldn't make sense, either. Or maybe just don't bring it up at all. Trek human characters haven't been defining each other by race before. Why start?

Still, I easily could have brushed all of that aside if any other part of the show had been done well. But nope.

Again, if anyone wants to watch a show about a group of people being sent across the galaxy and trying to get back to Earth/find a new home, I recommend season 1 of Space:1999. Much better.

StevenK

10 Year Member
I read all of these posts on Voyager and it makes me wonder why I even liked voyager in the first place, because everything said is true. They're often vaguely racist. Most of the crew are impetuous children, including the original Starfleet crew. Neelix is creepy and cringe as fuck. Paris and Kim are portrayed as some kind of space Chandler & Joey and it doesn't work at all.

What it does cover extensively, though, is what I probably like star trek for the most, the 'what makes us human' aspect and bucket loads of morality. The doctor and seven the former, Janeway struggling to stick to Starfleet rules a billion miles from home the latter.

It could be done better but it looks like Voyager was the last time a star trek writer would bother with either of those things, so it feels like Voyager was the last hurrah for me.