Norwegian Death Metal

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Okay, so until I ran into this Austrian guy from the hotel at a punk live show late last month and spoke to him, I admit I didn't really know there was such a thing as Norwegian Death Metal. Sure we all know about Scandinavian punk and Finncore and stuff, but the Norwegians' take on this particular brand of music is new to me, so..... any GOOD recommendations, going as far back in time as you like? I am more than happy to invest in vinyl.

Thanks.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Three Norwegian Black/Death Metal albums from my vinyl vault that I can recommend are:

Dark Throne "Soulside Journey" (1991, released by Peaceville, distrib. by Revolver UK/US and Rough Trade)

Burzum "Hate/Winter" (1992, released by Deathlike Silence Prod., distrib. by Voices of Wonder Records - I simply adore Count Grishnackh, this album is a minor classic made by our favorite church firestarter...)

Count Raven "Storm Warning" (1990, White Flower rec., distrib. by Hellhound Records - very traditional/less manic stuff, but still nice).

...and there's more.

I could dig through my 7" EP/promo collection as well if you want, bought a lot of that drastic Skandi-stuff in the early/mid 90s.

At the Gates, Meshuggah, Entombed, Demigod, Dismember... etc...

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Whoa looks like i'm not alone here! lol

Any Burzum album that came out before Varg Vikernes went to jail, other wise it's all synthesiser stuff, altough some of it wasn't bad.

The early Mayhem albums, the new Mayhem doesn't have Euronymous and Dead anymore, they don't exist in the living world.

Last edited:

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Thanks for the quick responses. I'm bookmarking this thread of course.

Takumaji said:
I could dig through my 7" EP/promo collection as well if you want, bought a lot of that drastic Skandi-stuff in the early/mid 90s.

I would appreciate it more down the road probably. With still no hope of ever recovering that $860 in scammed money plus another $370 gone in another robbery back in July, and selling coming to an earlier end than expected, I'll be a bit strapped for spending cash this year I think.. however, a bit of loot dropped here and there on glorious music is always worth making an exception for.
It's sort of why I said GOOD recommendations, so I would feel less bad about spending money I should be saving after what's gone on here. I've still even got to get a record player once I move which will drain me for even more. >:0 Thanks though.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Used to be called Viking Metal.

Right?

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
lachlan said:
Whoa looks like i'm not alone here! lol

Any Burzum album that came out before Varg Vikernes went to jail, other wise it's all synthesiser stuff, altough some of it wasn't bad.

The early Mayhem albums, the new Mayhem doesn't have Euronymous and Dead anymore, they don't exist in the living world.

You know what's funny?

I posted a thread about David Alan Coe about a year ago and people said "he's racist.." and flamed me pretty good.. even though he's got a Black drummer, married a Native american and say in interviews "I'm no racist"...

You're making recommendations to listen to a guy who's in JAIL FOR MURDER AND VARIOUS NEO-NAZI ACTIVITIES LIKE FIREBOMBING CHURCHES.

Lovely.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
You know what's funny?

I posted a thread about David Alan Coe about a year ago and people said "he's racist.." and flamed me pretty good.. even though he's got a Black drummer, married a Native american and say in interviews "I'm no racist"...

You're making recommendations to listen to a guy who's in JAIL FOR MURDER AND VARIOUS NEO-NAZI ACTIVITIES LIKE FIREBOMBING CHURCHES.

Lovely.

I'm making recommendations to listen to a guy who makes the music I love.
Sure he murdered a guy and burnt down churches (which I couldn't care less about actually) and sure he is a Neo Nazi, but hell does that mean I should not recommend his great music to others?

I will continue to listen to his music and I hope others share the same interest in his music.

Some people just go past the line and unfortunately Varg did...but his music is brilliant to listen to.

I love it how you put the "JAIL FOR MURDER AND VARIOUS NEO-NAZI ACTIVITIES LIKE FIREBOMBING CHURCHES." in capitals, what the musician has done in his life doesn't matter to me.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
lachlan said:
I love it how you put the "JAIL FOR MURDER AND VARIOUS NEO-NAZI ACTIVITIES LIKE FIREBOMBING CHURCHES." in capitals, what the musician has done in his life doesn't matter to me.

VT is a toolshed prospect member

Exactly, his music has nothing to do with his deplorable extracurricular activities.

And all of this critique coming from someone who has a sig pic of a badly beaten woman, with the text "This bitch didn`t know when to shut up..."

Lovely.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Any Neo Nazi who plays metal should be shot on the spot........

It's like the Dixie Chicks Crtiticizing a war Mongering Republican president.

BRB

Gotta Go Get Jeff Kent's New Rap Album.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Late said:
And all of this critique coming from someone who has a sig pic of a badly beaten woman, with the text "This bitch didn`t know when to shut up..."

Lovely.

I think it's implying that VT beat the woman.

norton9478 said:
Any Neo Nazi who plays metal should be shot on the spot........

I can't stress this enough, he doesn't play "Metal" he plays "Black Metal", there is a huge difference.

You want to know a band that it's music is all about nazism?
Absurd, check it out, they are awesome!
Hell sure the band members killed a kid in high school and one of them is in jail but their music is brilliant!

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
lachlan said:
I can't stress this enough, he doesn't play "Metal" he plays "Black Metal", there is a huge difference.

You want to know a band that it's music is all about nazism?
Absurd, check it out, they are awesome!
Hell sure the band members killed a kid in high school and one of them is in jail but their music is brilliant!

I don't give a fuck... I don't want Nazi's in my metal.. Any kind of metal. Satan and witchfraft is oK... But Keep that Nazi Bullshit out. Send those jerks back to punk.

Black metal is still metal.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
norton9478 said:
I don't want Nazi's in my metal..

Tough shit.

Satanic music is fine with me,dunno about witchkraft? wtf.

Listen to the music, sure the musicians are Nazi's but hell, fuck what they musician beleives in, it's all about what the music sounds like.
There are a couple of songs that seem to give you the feel of power in the deepest part of the song, weird but it feels good listening to it.

Get over wether or not the musicians are Nazi's or not.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
norton9478 said:
Black metal is still metal.

I liken that to saying hardcore punk is still (70's UK street) punk. They may both be generally grouped under the same umbrella (rightly or wrongly) but they're very different styles of music with differing politics behind them.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
VanillaThunder said:

Lovely.

lol

Who gives a fuck on a few burning churches - blame the Norwegians and their wooden chapels.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Neo Bomber Man said:
I liken that to saying hardcore punk is still (70's UK street) punk. They may both be generally grouped under the same umbrella (rightly or wrongly) but they're very different styles of music with differing politics behind them.

Metal is the umbrella.... It all goes back to the same place.....

But Fuck it...

Nazi metalheads Fuck OFf

Nazi Metalheads Fuck off Fuck off Fuck off

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Metal is the umbrella.... It all goes back to the same place.....

But Fuck it...

Nazi metalheads Fuck OFf

Nazi Metalheads Fuck off Fuck off Fuck off

lol

People who listen to "nazi" black metal don't have to be a "nazi" metal head, we're just metal heads!

I guess you hate nazi's huh?, are you a jew or something?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
lachlan said:
lol

People who listen to "nazi" black metal don't have to be a "nazi" metal head, we're just metal heads!

I guess you hate nazi's huh?, are you a jew or something?

I hate Facists and thier propogfuckinganda........

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'd say a good 80% of all black/death metal bands have dabbled with Nazism in one way or another, just like they did/do with Satanism.

Even Slayer did (to some extend...) when they released Reign in Blood, the song "Angel of Death" was the critics' fave target, the record even was banned from shops for a month or two over here in Germany until some ppl finally got a clue, and don't get me started on their "Slaytanic Wehrmacht" fan club. Still, whoever says Slayer were Nazis doesn't know what he's talking about.

I admit things are a lil' different with Grishnackh since he really is a hardcore maniac, but in the end he's more "black soul" than "nazi regime", if you know what I mean. For him, the Nazi cruelties are like dark poems which fuel his sick mind, just like many 19th century painters suddenly started depicting innocent (but quite dead) women, a la Walter Sickert and the inspiration he draw from the Jack the Ripper crimes in London during autumn 1888. Still, an artist who draws the mutilated body of a women may be called tasteless but surely not a serial killer, or someone who silently supports those criminals.

Yes, there are some foul and questionable things among all these "sources of inspiration", but the whole thing is more spiritual than political... difficult to explain... let's put it this way, the Oi! skin/punk guys were/are much more political than even Grishnackh and his band.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I guess Nazizim in Norwegeon Black metal is passable because I don't know what the fuck they are saying.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Late said:
VT is a toolshed prospect member

Exactly, his music has nothing to do with his deplorable extracurricular activities.

Lovely.

Obviously, the joke is lost on you.

Ooooh... I'm a toolshed member... whooooaaa!!! Is that supposed to hurt?

I don't give a fuck enough about people here to really regard that much, especially the likes of the people defending this fuckwad, like yourself.

His music may have nothing to do with his activites (HIGHLY DOUBTFUL).

Dipshits like you support his music, and most likely spent money on his music does have "something to do with it" because I'm sure that any proceeds he received from that was funneled at least in part to his extra-musical activites.

But hey, I'm a toolshed member... none of this could possibly be valid.

Late, crawl back to whatever hole you hide under. P.S. Your toolshed comment is almost word for word exactly like a comment you made to me a few months ago. Learn a new trick and come at me with something of substance. Your posts are as well though out and welcome as Pat Obrien with an eight-ball and rollover minutes.

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
Varg Vikernes

Hard to believe he once was a metalhead, nowadays he looks like the kind of Nazi who would molest little boys in the Hitlerjugend:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S.: I never got into Burzum, but I found both Darkthrone and Satyricon quite entertaining when I was into "that" kind of Metal a long time ago ...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Greywolf said:
Hard to believe he once was a metalhead, nowadays he looks like the kind of Nazi who would molest little boys in the Hitlerjugend:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S.: I never got into Burzum, but I found both Darkthrone and Satyricon quite entertaining when I was into "that" kind of Metal a long time ago ...

Bah lol, isn't that an old picture of him?