No more insertion marks!

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Should insertion marks dictate price? No. Should worn out labels, cases and inserts? Absolutely.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
This thread is a collection of sad jokes....like it really took me a min to process that this was a serious thread and not someone just making a funny. Comparing video games to classic cars? Going through a bunch of effort to make it look like games are unplayed? Insertion marks are almost like a badge of honor. The game has been played and enjoyed by people, which was the whole purpose in the first place!

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
What is funny is that people had that same mindset back then about cars, ironic isn't it. I guarantee any of those people if they saw how much they go for now would've done something to keep a lot of them in good shape. I could've used any other collecting hobby, but choose that one due to the respect it usually gets. I still don't get the mindset that playing games and keeping shit in good condition should be mutually exclusive, but I digress. I guess some people are just lazy.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
What is funny is that people had that same mindset back then about cars, ironic isn't it. I guarantee any of those people if they saw how much they go for now would've done something to keep a lot of them in good shape. I could've used any other collecting hobby, but choose that one due to the respect it usually gets. I still don't get the mindset that playing games and keeping shit in good condition should be mutually exclusive, but I digress. I guess some people are just lazy.

Normal wear and tear on a car isn't viewed as a bad thing, yet it apparently is for video games. That's why they say preventative maintenance is the best kind for cars, aka probably don't take your games and submerge them in a nearby lake and be sure clean the contacts every so often. You can call me lazy all you want, but I still keep my stuff in nice shape, because nice doesn't mean it has to look like the day i bought it before it got any use.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
How does not caring about insertion marks equate to not taking care of your stuff?

My games just sit there on a shelf when I'm not playing them. It's not like I'm leaving them outside in a blizzard or playing frisbee with them.

As I've said before, I have Atari carts that were made over a decade before I was born and they all still work. I don't think a little air and some fucking insertion marks are going to kill my Neo carts.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
It certainly affects the value of them ( im not talking about just insertion marks, which I said im not too bothered by). For cars it isn't just about the mechanical parts, but the cosmetics like the paint job. I've cleaned plenty of cars that have gotten their paint job fucked up by automatic car washes (nice big ass swirly marks, sometimes it can be buffed out sometimes not), when the owner should know better than to use that. There is only so much one can do to keep stuff in nice shape, but almost all my stuff looks like the day I bought it.

It just seems elementary to cut a piece of paper to put behind a $100+ official insert, and a small piece of a bubble wrap underneath the cart. Takes like five minutes and $.30c to do, unless you don't have a ruler and bubble wrap.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If we're gonna use the car analogy, that works since I'm a car guy.

It's just a machine.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
ResO said:
Laugh at me all you want, if I still had my full collection I'd be laughing my way to the bank.

So all was for not as you didn't even save your supposedly insertion mark-less carts.

What a waste of time.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member

People made fun of me 13 years ago for doing this, look at cart values today. Clearly I had the right idea. Once again, if you weigh the value of a console vs the value of carts this mod is and was a no-brainer.

Insertion marks are ugly on AES carts, they really stand out compared to, say, insertion marks on the back of a hu-card or GB cart.

Laugh at me all you want, if I still had my full collection I'd be laughing my way to the bank.

Salute to you!!!!!
Love shiny AES carts.........
Not for the resale purpose but that's how i take care all my cartridge games carefully.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Insertion marks are almost like a badge of honor. The game has been played and enjoyed by people, which was the whole purpose in the first place!

Let me know if anyone who owns MS1 AES (US or JPN) has lots insert marks on it..........and dont confuse with MVS ;)

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Let me know if anyone who owns MS1 AES (US or JPN) has lots insert marks on it..........and dont confuse with MVS ;)

If you're trying to tell me people who own MS1 AES don't actually play it, that's not exactly breaking news.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Reso is approaching rarefied fakk2 territory in the anal collector rankings.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I already said that b4: Fakk2 is #1 and Res0 is #2, Fakk2 Jr.

If i owned MS1 AES eng or the holy grail Kizuna Encounter (euro) i would still pop that fucker in the system whenever without thinking twice about it. Tbh i think something up when i see a neo cart without marks for sale, just part of it.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
The funny thing is all these people that think they can own AES and consider them the same as games that are monetarily worthless. Cleary if you think about it, I modified my consoles because *I do* play my games. I'd prefer my cart collection stayed in mint condition more than I cared about my cartridge slot being in mint condition. Financially speaking, if you were ever buying brand new (or mint) AES carts just ONE cart cost more than the price of a console.

If you own AES and you're not a collector of any sort, you're not the brightest for choosing AES carts over MVS. MVS for playing, AES for playing or collecting but either way should be well taken care of because of the price of entry. The roms were always free, boots were always super cheap, MVS was inexpensive & AES was the most expensive and aesthetically pleasing option.

If you're buying AES in 2016, why the heck wouldn't you want to keep your carts in the exact condition they were in when you purchased them?
If you're not buying AES in 2016, this thread wouldn't do much for you anyway. If you're not a collector and you're buying AES, you're either filthy rich or at the bare minimum more financially careless than other people that are still buying AES.

And yes, some tissue paper or a strip of bubble wrap does go behind all my carts in snaplock cases.

MVS isn't priced for gamers anymore either, BTW. Buy yourself some multi carts or trashed carts and stop bitching about the people that like to own nice things and keep them nice. There's always Steam and ports too.

Being a collector does not mean that I do not play my games. But heck, at this point I'd consider putting some tape around the sharp cart slots on my MVS if I had some super rare NOS kits. I still treat MVS like I did in the past, stack my carts or line them up on a shelf. I'll still prefer original English labels over Japanese, and serials vs missing serials, but at the end of the day , I'll buy an MVS cart in the condition/price that is justifiable for that specific title. If it's too pricey, give me a scuffed up cart with a half torn off label. If it's inexpensive, i'd pay a little extra to get something a little nicer. When you see carts like SSVS unfixed english AES with big nasty deep insertion marks, you can bet that cart is worth less than one with minor or no insertion marks.

I find the massive inflation to be a shame for the hobby (yes, Neo is a hobby), but the worst thing is that MVS carts are starting to go for the same or more than the old going rate for AES carts.

Still, AES was always about AESthetics... at least in the 21st century. If you bought AES you should be proud of them. If you're proud of something why not take care of it? The cost of entry for AES always exceeded that of "gamer's" prices, things really haven't changed all that much in the last decade in that regard if you think about it.

When not one or two, but nearly your entire collection of games were costing you hundreds of dollars each, I felt the need to take care of them.

Protecting from insertion marks is not much different than someone removing their belt (or wrapping their t-shirt around their belt buckle) when they play their expensive or antique guitars. Belt buckle scratches all over the back of a guitar sucks. While guitars were meant to be played, same as AES, there's no law that guitarists or gamers aren't allowed to take care of their instrument or games if they wish so.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I've paid 700 for a pcb. I play the piss out of it. The majority of AES collectors spend silly money on US carts so they can say they spent silly money.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
ResO, i get what you are saying its cool nothing wrong because its your stuff and at the end of the day you want to take care of it, i get that. I have all my AES games in shockboxes because i play and handle them so much. Just didn't want and have the time to worry about fucking up the inserts every time i got a game out to play just b.s. I hate the old soft cases have several games with torn inserts over the years becaues of those cheap p.o.s's but that's another story.

I brought that up on the shocks once before and caught hell some. But you know what fuck it, its your stuff you paid for it and you like to take care of it and that's all that should matter. Besides don't be fooled more thzn half do the same shit with their collection, its just the thing to do here is breakballs.

My AES copy of Blazing Star I paid $1500 for has insertion marks all over it but screw it i play the shit out of it all the time. And when im done toss it into the shockbox and forget about the damn game. So enjoy the games play them that's what they are for.

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Res0, watch out for some people making stpid comments like:
- It's stupid to buy AES games in 2016
- collectard who buy AES games and be a shelf queen
- stupid ass to pay $_____ for that game in 2016. I bought that for $___ in 2005.
- it's fuckin a $50 game and noob pays more than that....LOL
- insert marks? Ban plz
- you pay extra money for case, insert and manual? LOL

I'm with you, ResO! Right now I'm back to AES scene :D

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
ResO, i get what you are saying its cool nothing wrong because its your stuff and at the end of the day you want to take care of it, i get that. I have all my AES games in shockboxes because i play and handle them so much. Just didn't want and have the time to worry about fucking up the inserts every time i got a game out to play just b.s. I hate the old soft cases have several games with torn inserts over the years becaues of those cheap p.o.s's but that's another story.

I brought that up on the shocks once before and caught hell some. But you know what fuck it, its your stuff you paid for it and you like to take care of it and that's all that should matter. Besides don't be fooled more thzn half do the same shit with their collection, its just the thing to do here is breakballs.

My AES copy of Blazing Star I paid $1500 for has insertion marks all over it but screw it i play the shit out of it all the time. So enjoy the games play them that's what they are for.

Yeah, nothing worse than cases damaging inserts, or heck, snaplocks having their snap pop off or crack. I typically would leave whatever game I played the most in the console at any given time. I played the heck out of every game I bought, unless it was just a cheap addition to the collection (I don't recall playing football frenzy or Top players golf that much for example. I don't think I spent more than $550 for a game back in the day (which was a mint English MOTW). Did I play it, just as much as I played my MVS copy on my cab. I never bought AES carts like pulstar or TSS because I couldn't justify the HUGE price gap between the MVS & AES. Now seeing all these MVS games at AES prices rips my heart out, because I play my MVS often and took my gigantic MVS collection for granted.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Res0, watch out for some people making stpid comments like:
- It's stupid to buy AES games in 2016
- collectard who buy AES games and be a shelf queen
- stupid ass to pay $_____ for that game in 2016. I bought that for $___ in 2005.
- it's fuckin a $50 game and noob pays more than that....LOL
- insert marks? Ban plz
- you pay extra money for case, insert and manual? LOL

I'm with you, ResO! Right now I'm back to AES scene :D

Its is not wise to get into AES now really. Unless you know someone looking to sell their games or like we do here for the community price. The common games sure but the sought-after titles now way in hell. Seriously if I was just starting it would be MVS all the way.

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Its is not wise to get into AES now really. Unless you know someone looking to sell their games or like we do here for the community price. The common games sure but the sought-after titles now way in hell. Seriously if I was just starting it would be MVS all the way.

That's why you have to look all the places and negociate with sellers.
If you dont have patience, go with neostore, ebay or contact those collectors directly if you have $$$$$
I just take it slowly and not aim those high end titles.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
If you own AES and you're not a collector of any sort, you're not the brightest for choosing AES carts over MVS. MVS for playing, AES for playing or collecting but either way should be well taken care of because of the price of entry. The roms were always free, boots were always super cheap, MVS was inexpensive & AES was the most expensive and aesthetically pleasing option.

There are plenty of people that have had AES since it came out and actually bought the games because they were the same as the arcade at the time.

If you're not a collector and you're buying AES, you're either filthy rich or at the bare minimum more financially careless than other people that are still buying AES.

So you have to be a "collector"? Don't you mean to say a market speculator, or one of these shelf queen investors? If your're a "collector" you're most definitely not financially careless because it's all about those millions you're gonna cash in right before you retire to Miami right?

MVS isn't priced for gamers anymore either, BTW. Buy yourself some multi carts or trashed carts and stop bitching about the people that like to own nice things and keep them nice. There's always Steam and ports too.

The cases and the plastic around the games are designed to protect the PCBs and they do that just fine. Again these were arcade copy games when they came out, no one enshrouded them or did this voodoo to keep them pristine back then, it was about actually playing the games at home. It's all these OCD shitstains that looked for NOS and set them aside for "investment" mentality that has ruined this fucking scene.

When you see carts like SSVS unfixed english AES with big nasty deep insertion marks, you can bet that cart is worth less than one with minor or no insertion marks.

Who gives a fuck? No one who is sound of mind that's for sure.

I find the massive inflation to be a shame for the hobby (yes, Neo is a hobby), but the worst thing is that MVS carts are starting to go for the same or more than the old going rate for AES carts.

Yes and it's the shelf queen hoarder mentality that has caused this exact inflation.

Still, AES was always about AESthetics... at least in the 21st century. If you bought AES you should be proud of them. If you're proud of something why not take care of it? The cost of entry for AES always exceeded that of "gamer's" prices, things really haven't changed all that much in the last decade in that regard if you think about it.

Wrong, it was about having the arcade experience at home. If you're proud of it, take care of it sure - but don't conflate that with some bullshit OCD strictly to seal away for a later date retirement fund. If you want to play games fucking play them, if you want to collect pristine articles for the sake of it stick to something that was actually meant for it. I hear antique spoons are hot right now.

Protecting from insertion marks is not much different than someone removing their belt (or wrapping their t-shirt around their belt buckle) when they play their expensive or antique guitars. Belt buckle scratches all over the back of a guitar sucks. While guitars were meant to be played, same as AES, there's no law that guitarists or gamers aren't allowed to take care of their instrument or games if they wish so.

The guitars that go for the most money were the ones that were actually used and beat to shit by their artists - go figure. If you like playing or using something, it's going to wear - that's life. People always think they can preserve things, even their own bodies and live to 100 while the actual irony is our bodies are made for use. The longer you sit around the more fucked up and sicker you get.

If you're not looking to cash out down the line or take them with you next to your mummified cat, fucking get over yourselves. We aren't getting any younger and these games were made to fleece your pockets - not line them.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Nice post ballz's I agree. On a lighter note that avatar lol. "You want to go to hell"? HUH PIG! You want to go to hell with me, doesn't matter does it?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
There are plenty of people that have had AES since it came out and actually bought the games because they were the same as the arcade at the time.

So you have to be a "collector"? Don't you mean to say a market speculator, or one of these shelf queen investors? If your're a "collector" you're most definitely not financially careless because it's all about those millions you're gonna cash in right before you retire to Miami right?

The cases and the plastic around the games are designed to protect the PCBs and they do that just fine. Again these were arcade copy games when they came out, no one enshrouded them or did this voodoo to keep them pristine back then, it was about actually playing the games at home. It's all these OCD shitstains that looked for NOS and set them aside for "investment" mentality that has ruined this fucking scene.

Who gives a fuck? No one who is sound of mind that's for sure.

Yes and it's the shelf queen hoarder mentality that has caused this exact inflation.

Wrong, it was about having the arcade experience at home. If you're proud of it, take care of it sure - but don't conflate that with some bullshit OCD strictly to seal away for a later date retirement fund. If you want to play games fucking play them, if you want to collect pristine articles for the sake of it stick to something that was actually meant for it. I hear antique spoons are hot right now.

The guitars that go for the most money were the ones that were actually used and beat to shit by their artists - go figure. If you like playing or using something, it's going to wear - that's life. People always think they can preserve things, even their own bodies and live to 100 while the actual irony is our bodies are made for use. The longer you sit around the more fucked up and sicker you get.

If you're not looking to cash out down the line or take them with you next to your mummified cat, fucking get over yourselves. We aren't getting any younger and these games were made to fleece your pockets - not line them.

Getting the arcade experience at home!1111 was 90's stuff. If you were getting into AES in the past 16 or so years you knew you were buying software for an old console at insanely high prices when cmvs and MVS to AES adapters were readily available. You're a moron if you think a $500+ game with insanely outdated tech isn't worth taking care of. If you bought AES it was for the cool factor, and didn't mind blowing retarded amounts of money on some gigantic beautiful home cartridge. Loose MVS carts and used kits were always the cheapest option within months of release, especially if you didn't care about Japanese labels or cut out serials. If you seriously bought AES as a pure gamer and not for any proud collection to have on display *as well* as playing them in the last decade, you're a fool. A plain and simple fool.
I've dealt in vintage instruments for a long time. People like reproduction "relics", but when it comes to originals no shit that the better the original condition the higher they sell for. Assuming every vintage guitar was beat up by Kurt Cobain or Jimi Hendrix is ignorant, and those are bought my music memorabilia collectors, not guitarists. I know the guitar market well.

In general, I disagree with you 100%. It's OK to disagree...

As an old member to an old member, you joining in 2004 after Neo was discontinued and speaking like you know it all is rather silly. Freakin 2004 noobs. ;):p

Last edited: