Ninja Combat owners: is the game worth owning?

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Musashi has a cartwheel attack. It's just as effective. I've gotten as far as stage 5, but I've never put extreme time into the game.

Techniques? Attacking early and from a higher plane, cart wheel attacking at the appropriate times, using charge moves at the appropriate times, milking the archers to get extends quicker, memorization.

@Kid Panda, I want to play Gang Wars now.

Thanks for the heads up, looks like I need to give Mugashi a proper spin.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Try it on the 161 or even MAME and decide for yourself. I have the MVS cart and like it. Pretty hard game IMHO. If you are only looking for a good beat'em up (brawler), I really recommend Sengoku 3. Nothing can top it on the Neo IMO.

Regards.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Musashi has a cartwheel attack. It's just as effective. I've gotten as far as stage 5, but I've never put extreme time into the game.

Techniques? Attacking early and from a higher plane, cart wheel attacking at the appropriate times, using charge moves at the appropriate times, milking the archers to get extends quicker, memorization.

@Kid Panda, I want to play Gang Wars now.

ASID, I'm not sure if you dabble with the PS3 at all, but Gang Wars actually happens to be on sale this week as part of the SNK sale. It's half off at something like 3 bucks I think?

Edit: looks like its 1.50. Hell, I'll bite at that price.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
ASID, I'm not sure if you dabble with the PS3 at all, but Gang Wars actually happens to be on sale this week as part of the SNK sale. It's half off at something like 3 bucks I think?

I don't have one.

I'll find other means. Thanks though!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's one of the mvs carts that were included when I bought my cab. I tend to play as anyone except Joe and Hayabusa because if you move either of them over a spot with two weapons on the ground, they can't attack at all and will only be switching weapons while getting their ass kicked.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
this is the ultimate guilty pleasure game for me... I know it's bad in so many ways, but I like it anyhow.

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
It was one of the first games I ever played when the system came out. Since then I like to play through it every once and while. Nothing special tho...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I think the game is fun, and has some cool early 90's flavor. I wouldn't spend too much on it, though. I got my copy locally, on Craigslist for $20 (MVS). I don't think I'd spend much more than that.

jibbajaba gets it.

this game is FUN.

it makes NO FUCKING SENSE.

when i played this game at midnight half-drunk it was A GOOD TIME.

why are there dudes dressed up like KKK? why are we fighting on the rollercoaster?

this game EXUDES early 90s feel. and as for mixing it up, there are multiple characters.

yeah the unlimited continues make it easy. no one forces to use them, though. try to beat it using five continues. fucking impossible thanks to that fucking final boss (Alpha Denshi what the FUCK were you thinking?)

my point is this game is great for the same reasons 8MAN is.

i contend there are two kinds of neo geo fans - those who strictly enjoy the fighters, and everyone else who can have fun with metal slug and a few hokey games.

in conclusion:

buy this game, play it half drunk with a friend, and never come back it. maybe once a year is ok.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
jibbajaba gets it.

this game is FUN.

it makes NO FUCKING SENSE.

when i played this game at midnight half-drunk it was A GOOD TIME.

why are there dudes dressed up like KKK? why are we fighting on the rollercoaster?

this game EXUDES early 90s feel. and as for mixing it up, there are multiple characters.

yeah the unlimited continues make it easy. no one forces to use them, though. try to beat it using five continues. fucking impossible thanks to that fucking final boss (Alpha Denshi what the FUCK were you thinking?)

my point is this game is great for the same reasons 8MAN is.

i contend there are two kinds of neo geo fans - those who strictly enjoy the fighters, and everyone else who can have fun with metal slug and a few hokey games.

in conclusion:

buy this game, play it half drunk with a friend, and never come back it. maybe once a year is ok.

You lack maturity my son. Nyah.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
why are we fighting on the rollercoaster?
So you can throw a ninja star at some random coaster car, that just so happens to have a happy ninja riding it, and then explode. I mean, why would you do that? He probably spend good money on admission just to ride that coaster and was just minding his own business and having fun. I think we know who the real villains are in this game now.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Punishment for not fastening his seat belt while the coaster was in motion.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I got it cheap for AES and ....well, it's nice to have. I play it every now and then, and although the main characters look a bit goofy, the overall atmosphere sure is nice. It's certainly a good enough game to take up its shelf space.

But is it really a beat'em up? Are we sure about that? I always thought so until I actually played it, and now i'm thinking ....run 'n gun, maybe?
Would certainly fit with its successor, "Ninja Commando".

ifkz

n00b
Since this is one of two games on my self imposed limit of AES-under-$100 that is still gettable, I think I will pull the trigger. Better than what I have seen of Riding Hero, and I own most of the others from launch. Anyhow, this and Samurai Shodown/Spirits III may be it before my AES collecting dies down. I guess I have always been held back by the goofy main characters, but it does try some different things by adding new playable characters. I also think it is fairly long, and I do like most beat-em-ups & side scrollers.

I have Ninja Commando for the Neo CD and I have always compared it to Time Soldiers and thought of it as a kick-arse sequel.

Thanks to all that posted here, for helping me come to a decision (and a new game for my collection!). :):)

Last edited: