NG.com Beer Thread/Beer Discussion

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I have a friend coming down from Michigan next week. She wants to bring me some Bells. We can't get it here. What should I tell her to bring? Stouts and IPA's are my fave.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Bells Two Hearted is one of the best bottled IPAs I can get down here.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
I have a friend coming down from Michigan next week. She wants to bring me some Bells. We can't get it here. What should I tell her to bring? Stouts and IPA's are my fave.

Easy to get -
* two hearted is the mainstay IPA that is pretty good and highly rated.
* kzoo stout - it's ok
* expedition stout - really good, even better with a few years on it.

Harder to get, but some places might have some -
* the Oracle - excellent DIPA
* Neptune - a stout with a bunch of crazy shit added. part of their planet series... I liked it.

PS... they also have two hearted in CANS now. wooo!

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Thanks dudes. I'm sending her my list. I looked up Neptune. Sounds fantastic.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Bell's is great, I've been drinking Oberon all summer. Can't get it in state, but so close to the PA border I just take a ride and stock up.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
All the beer nerds go nuts for Black Note.

Do they still make Double Cream Stout? I liked that one. Oarsman is also nice for the summer.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
All the beer nerds go nuts for Black Note.

Do they still make Double Cream Stout? I liked that one. Oarsman is also nice for the summer.

I'm a huge fan of Black Note and Hopslam also, of course. Oarsman is a fantastic Berliner Weisse, I also like DFH Festina Peche in that style for summer refreshment too. Bell's Special Double Cream Stout is available in the winter.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Saranac had a Blueberry Blonde Ale over the summer that was smooth as shit and super easy to drink. Missing it already. Will have to make due with Red Oak and whatever's in the growler (Ka-Bar Brown at the moment).

I've been drinking Not Your Father's Root Beer as well (seems to have gotten a much wider distribution in the last six months). It's really good but it's like malt liquors (Smirnoff Ice shit): if I have more than one in a sitting, it tears my guts apart.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I've been drinking Not Your Father's Root Beer as well (seems to have gotten a much wider distribution in the last six months). It's really good but it's like malt liquors (Smirnoff Ice shit): if I have more than one in a sitting, it tears my guts apart.

Been hearing a lot about this lately...will have to check it out

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
lithy, what are the consequences of storing beer in plastic bottles? I was in Kyrgyzstan and they had beer in 2L bottles. It was great.

lithy

20 Year Member
Nothing really. Plastic is more permeable than glass, so for long term storage, beer would probably come out flat, but for beer that gets sold in 3 months, no issue. I think there are some potential leeching issues (think the BPA-free stuff) with certain plastics mostly dependent on heat and not specific to alcohol, so water and soda have the same potential problem and obviously people don't care about using plastic for those. I'd say the biggest obstacle is mostly aesthetic, like you saw, PET bottles are used in lots of countries for cheap beer.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Been drinking a lot of Sixpoint recently - 4Beans (love it), Sweet Action, and Bengali Tiger. Also tried Forgotten Boardwalk Funnel Cake, was not too impressed, would rate a 3.25/5. I guess I'm not a big fan of cream ales. Bet it's good on nitro though. I bought Elysium Punkuccino but I'm not opening it until next month ;)

Edit: Sixpoint Sweet Action as a cream ale defies the trappings of the style! It's lightly hopped and does not have any sort of 'adjunct taste.'

Last edited:

lithy

20 Year Member
Sixpoint switched where they were contract canning their stuff about a year ago. The stuff coming out of Lion brewing iin Wilkes-Barre, PA suuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. They switched to a place coming out of Memphis and it is so much better.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Sixpoint switched where they were contract canning their stuff about a year ago. The stuff coming out of Lion brewing iin Wilkes-Barre, PA suuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. They switched to a place coming out of Memphis and it is so much better.

Yeah no wonder... Lion is such a 'budget' can of beer haha

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Here's what she brought me from Michigan. And I must say, I was not disappointed in the least (six of them):

br.jpg

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Set a few aside... expedition ages nicely. I find it a little too hot when it's new. I prefer 1 to 3 years.

That sounds keen. Considered it done. Will it matter that they've already been refrigerated?

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
That sounds keen. Considered it done. Will it matter that they've already been refrigerated?

nope... you can leave them in the back of the fridge, or just store them in a cool(ish) place, away from sunlight. The fridge will slow down the process, but won't hurt it.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Paulaner is some good shit.

I actually bought a 6 pack of their Hefe weizen the other day. Man, that stuff was tough to drink, the taste of the yeast was just too much for my shitty pallet. No more unfiltered, yeasty wheat beer for me.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Picked up some swill today and was pleasantly surprised. Steel Reserve "Alloy Series" Hard Pineapple. Tastes like a pineapple flavored bitch fizzy with a good alcohol hit.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I went to Carton Brewery in Atlantic Highlands, NJ the other day. If you're near the area I would very highly recommend visiting. The tap room had a communal vibe to it, everyone was hanging out and chatting. $5 flight of of interesting beers and $8 growler fills. They had a beer on nitro tap and on cask as well. Their 'IDIPA' anniversary beer is out of this world.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Having some Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest tonight. I'm not much of a lager guy but it's pretty tasty.
image_thumb%25255B1%25255D.png

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
I went to Carton Brewery in Atlantic Highlands, NJ the other day. If you're near the area I would very highly recommend visiting. The tap room had a communal vibe to it, everyone was hanging out and chatting. $5 flight of of interesting beers and $8 growler fills. They had a beer on nitro tap and on cask as well. Their 'IDIPA' anniversary beer is out of this world.

Carton is awesome. 077xx is one of my favorite DIPAs and I usually don't like that style.