new sprites in 2002

Fluff_Daddy

Galford's Armourer
Okay... So I now have KoF 99-2002. I know some sprites in 02 are redrawn so I thought I'd ask which are they? Kims stance seems kinda redrawn, but that's all I've noticed so far. Yashiro seems to have a high animation frequency, but then again I have never seen him in any game before.

So could someone please list the redrawns?

Also, was there any new characters introduced into this game? I've only played the romz 10 minutes each, but I have a vague memory of seing all before. Am I wrong?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Kim is mostly redrawn. Yashiro is mostly redrawn. Shermie has a ton of new/redone animation. Vice has a new stance. Iori and Vanessa have stupid looking heads since 2001.

A few new moves all together, such as Takuma's set of moves.

And, as with every year, Athena is redone. Looks the best ever in 2k2, in my humble opinion.

Spike

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Go grab a copy of KOF '98 and then sit down with both games for a lil' while and you'll notice a great deal of sprite differences to the point where you'll be scratching your head stating ,"why were the cool character sprites in '98 edited to look awful while the sprites that could have used improving were left alone?"
I personally have always been in favor of Ralf and Clarks sprites to resemble their Old Ikari Warriors look.I alwas believed they should have been bigger in stature and look mature like Heidern..
-BB

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I actually love the redo of Shermie 100%. MUCH better, IMHO. I also like the Kim and Yashiro animation changes. I like them a lot, to be honest.

The only redrawing I hate, again, are the heads of Iori and Vanessa. Lame.

Spike

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
All I can state is that it's a good thing you purchased 2002 before you did '98 or you would be horrified realizing how MUGEN-like 2002 is..
I'm just getting over the shock :D
-BB

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
orochi chris has new standing animation that I think is really cool

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
alec said:
orochi chris has new standing animation that I think is really cool

Ah, yeah... I forgot. However cool it may be (and is), when he walks it's just back to normal Chris. Granted, there's nothing wrong with normal Chris's walking, but when it goes from that very cool/evil stance with flame coming out of his palms to just walking, it's pretty odd looking. Not terrible, but could have been better.

Spike

biocat

Kula's Candy
Spike Spiegel said:
Ah, yeah... I forgot. However cool it may be (and is), when he walks it's just back to normal Chris. Granted, there's nothing wrong with normal Chris's walking, but when it goes from that very cool/evil stance with flame coming out of his palms to just walking, it's pretty odd looking. Not terrible, but could have been better.

Spike

Yea. It looks like Chris just suddenly calms down when he walks. It's kind of strange since idle who looks like he's gonna massacre a crowd and while he's walking he looks so... happy.:spock:

SilverWolf

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Kim's new stance looks horrible! While some of his basic attacks were changed and look good, most of his animations are still the same. The end result is a very bad, inconsistant and ridiculous sprite edit. It wouldn't be that bad if it didn't look so obvious. I mean when Kim is standing and then starts walking, he looks like a totally different person! He's alot more bigger when walking, his face changes, and the amount of detail disappears on his clothing and body. If they were gonna change Kim, might as well go all the way. I don't think it'll be that hard. Just pure lazyness on Playmore's fault.

Orochi Chris looks really evil in his stance but when he starts moving, it's the back to the old, cheerful, teenager? WTF? Playmore really messed up. He's also taller in his stance too which doesn't make sense because he's kinda leaning as opposed to when he's walking straight and upright. Also, he looks slimer in his stance and the color of his hair isn't the same. It's so freaking easy to see, I can go on forever about the huge inconsistancies in the sprites.

Vice's stance doesn't even match her style. In her stance, she's moving in a circular motion with her arms flowing freely. Gives the impression that she's a fluid fighter but in reality, she's nothing but brute strength. Also when she walks, she walks like her back is broken, where as in her stance, she looks like her back is fine. The color pallete in her stance is also different from her regular animations. I think her hair and skin is darker. The shading is off too.

Kyo's new animations look pretty cool but the shading is WAY OFF! His jeans look fine until he does his win pose, and then it looks like he forgot to iron it or something. WTF is up with all those wrinkles? Also the shading is way off!

SilverAngel

Member,
A couple of Yuris moves well def one of her kicks has changed and one of terrys kicks has changed as well as all the others:)

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
SilverWolf said:
Kim's new stance looks horrible! While some of his basic attacks were changed and look good, most of his animations are still the same. The end result is a very bad, inconsistant and ridiculous sprite edit. It wouldn't be that bad if it didn't look so obvious. I mean when Kim is standing and then starts walking, he looks like a totally different person! He's alot more bigger when walking, his face changes, and the amount of detail disappears on his clothing and body. If they were gonna change Kim, might as well go all the way. I don't think it'll be that hard. Just pure lazyness on Playmore's fault.

Orochi Chris looks really evil in his stance but when he starts moving, it's the back to the old, cheerful, teenager? WTF? Playmore really messed up. He's also taller in his stance too which doesn't make sense because he's kinda leaning as opposed to when he's walking straight and upright. Also, he looks slimer in his stance and the color of his hair isn't the same. It's so freaking easy to see, I can go on forever about the huge inconsistancies in the sprites.

Vice's stance doesn't even match her style. In her stance, she's moving in a circular motion with her arms flowing freely. Gives the impression that she's a fluid fighter but in reality, she's nothing but brute strength. Also when she walks, she walks like her back is broken, where as in her stance, she looks like her back is fine. The color pallete in her stance is also different from her regular animations. I think her hair and skin is darker. The shading is off too.

Kyo's new animations look pretty cool but the shading is WAY OFF! His jeans look fine until he does his win pose, and then it looks like he forgot to iron it or something. WTF is up with all those wrinkles? Also the shading is way off!

For the love of SNK, shut up! :oh_no:

It seems like anything I see you post you're nothing but *bitch* *bitch* *bitch*.

Now about the sprite animations. Yes they have their "flaws" but most are okay and look good unless you squint your eyes, stare very hard, and notice the slight differences (Iori's stance to Iori Crouch look at the haircolor) or being just way too damn picky (Rock doesn't swipe his hair when crouching after immediately doing a Double Reppuken in CVS2 when he does in MOTW) .

Kim is the only one I "REALLY" agree with. The Stance itself looks uber-cool, bu mixed with his old animations makes him look so crappy beyond words.

Orochi Chris' stance has the same problem in 98, but at least his 2k2 stance make sense.

98 Stand then Crouch over and over again: "I have flames, no I don't, I have flames, oop they're gone..."

2k2 makes more "sense" in which he's standing and emmiting flames from his fingertips but you're right it doesn't go with his other animations. Because one like Chris can easily do what he does in his stance and simply crouch and do nothing rather than the complely odd and incomplete depcition of his flames disappearing when he crouches OR walks.

Vice: I think they wanted to make a cross between her 96 and 98 stances. She DOES look like a fluid fighter in 96, and just looks half asleep in 98. Don't you know the story behind Vice Silverwolf, "She's in sort of half-trance" most of time. In between Humanity and Riot of the Blood. THAT'S why she walks the way she does, her stance makes perfect sense with her walking animation. The shading is slightly different sure, but again, you really have to press your nose against the screen and squint to see it, and then you have to see it over and over again to really see the mistake. You're taking things out of context WAY too much.

And you make it sound like this is a "Playmore only thing" SNK had problems with animation too. Striker Jae Hoon's "Taunt" in Kof 2000 (different shading), King's stance and walk animation, and as I said before, Orochi's Chris in 97+98.