New NEOGEO game: "NEO XYX" NG: DEV.TEAM 2013

Ghegs

n00b
I assume you're referring strictly to the gameplay because visually it doesn't hold a candle to Fast Striker from what I've seen. The gameplay does look quite good, I have to admit.

I prefer XYX's lovely sprites to Fast Striker's pre-rendered graphics. Fast Striker doesn't look bad, but XYX's spritework is so excellent.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Got mine yesterday...

DSC_0201.JPGDSC_0204.JPG

Some thoughts after 10 or so credits.

# The package itself is fantastic, nice artwork, moves strip, marquee, postcards, shockbox with insert etc.

# Haven't tried it in Hori yet but i think that will be hard to get used to after playing it in tate. If you haven't got a tate setup yet but have bought this game now is as good at time as any to get one happening.

# Music is excellent, Sound effects are very nice also.

# Graphics are excellently drawn, there is plenty of background and sprite movemement, the bosses are the best so far that NGDEV has designed.

# I find it very challenging. I'm not that great at shmups but this will take me a while to 1cc. After 10 credits best I could do was the end of level 2. A lot of the time I was still not making it out of level 1.

# I wanted to get a feel for what the game was like as a whole so I credit fed to the end. This game is tight right the way through. My biggest critisicism of Gunlord was that to me it felt unfinished, the first 3 or 4 levels were good but after that it felt a bit rushed. This time the standard is maintained from start to finish.

# The only minor problems I found with the game was when you destroy the end of level boss and there is a big explosion it covers up the the loot, I think Ghegs mentioned this. Would be good if they can fix this with a patch. Also im not happy with where the bomb counter is, it kind of gets in the way of the action when things get hectic down there, would have been better if it was on the top left of the screen instead. Also still need to get used to the button layout. Would have rathered if it was A: Shot, B: Focus, C: Bomb.

Other than that, it's a fantastic game, their best so far by NGDEV. It would be good in future if they concentrate on smaller more managable games like this. Gunlord was good but at times to me it felt like the ambition got ahead of the ability of the people making it. This time its good, solid, consistant from start to finish.

Last edited:

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I'm looking forward to the DC release. I can't tate the tv that my Neo is hooked up to but the one for my DC is ready to be rotated.

theMot

10 Year Member
Its been a while my little tax haven resident.

theMot

10 Year Member
Ok, another night into it, another 10 credits or so, im a little drunk tonight but damn this game is unforgivingly hard, just fuckin hard.

powerflower

Banned
It definitely screams for multiple parallax layers of scrolling.

The more sprites you use for parallax backgrounds the less sprites you have for the action;) Remember everything you see onscreen is sprites, let alone the text layer.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The more sprites you use for parallax backgrounds the less sprites you have for the action;) Remember everything you see onscreen is sprites, let alone the text layer.

The system can draw up to 380 sprites on the screen at a time, and up to 96 per scanline.
I would think the Neo would be able to handle it.
I'm curious also, were there any games that over locked the system at all?

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
I got mine today. Really nice packaging! Now I just need to rotate my neo candy 29 monitor, not the easiest task.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
I´m sure quite a few shmups on Neo at least have slowdown sometimes. If that is due to hitting sprite limits or cpu speed, Im not sure.

In any case. My Xyx arrived yesterday and I am mostly impressed about how fluid the framerate stays at all times even though it seems theres more stuff flying on the screen constantly than on any other Neo shmup that I have played. They have managed this aspect of the game extremely well. I imagine there must have been a lot of tweaking to make it run so perfect.

I totally understand why a few people mentioned Truxton. It´s like an up-tempo modernized version of it. I am only missing weapon upgrades quite a bit. I love to upgrade stuff and not having that makes the game feel a bit less rewarding than I would like in some ways. Chaining mechanism alone cant replace good weapon upgrades.

81kf.jpg

Few things I noticed that may be specific to version that I´m playing with and the cmvs with 3.0 unibios.

By default, it seems arcade mode is tate and console mode is horizontal.
In arcade mode I can not add credits.
There is no "initial settings screen" that the instructions speak about. No way to access such screen at least. There is soft dip settings menu and I have tate selected there but the console mode still goes to horizontal mode. :O

So, in arcade mode I can not play due to no credits and the console mode isn´t in tate mode for some reason.

So how to play tate with this cmvs then?
1. Turn off cmvs.
2. Press and hold buttons A,B,C and turn power on.
3. Choose japan and console modes. in region setup Exit. (by pressing A,A,B,C)
4. Power the system off once again.
5. Press and hold button A on the controller.
6. Power the system on while keeping A pressed.
7. Keep button A held until NGDEV logo appears.
8. Game is now playing in tate mode and has 8 credits to play with.
-However, after each game over, the game will revert back to horizontal mode, so repeat steps 4 to 8.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Since this is from NG: DEV, I'm guessing you can't continue if you want a password to enter your score into their ranking site.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
I dont think that they´re developing the ranking website anymore. There isn´t any rankings for neo xyx anyways

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
1. Turn off cmvs.
-However, after each game over, the game will revert back to horizontal mode, so repeat steps 4 to 8.
wow, that sounds like a lot of trouble to go through and only having console mode is kinda weak... could be unibios related, but I'm surprised no one else reported it yet... maybe you should try in your cab? You got the stock bios for your 4slot?

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
I´m not going to tate my cab at this time. This is the best excuse to not sell my cmvs if anything :)

Ghegs

n00b
wow, that sounds like a lot of trouble to go through and only having console mode is kinda weak... could be unibios related, but I'm surprised no one else reported it yet

It's a "problem" only with certain CMVS's. I always have mine on MVS mode and for NG: Dev's game I just put dip switch 7 to on, to enable freeplay. No problems or hassle.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
managed to make it to third level boss with a bit over 4 million points. Chaining makes a real dramatic difference on scoring. I guess first 1 up comes at 10 million so yeah... no reason to be proud yet :)

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
1. Turn off cmvs.

I found this out of nowhere (this works for Analogue Interactive CMVS, maybe it will work with other MVS/CMVS units).

Step 7, instead of holding A, hold C, start the game, now you'll have side planes aka 1942 (that shooter from Capcom if anyone remembers) but the mode is still horizontal (YOKO). This works only in console mode.

It's a "problem" only with certain CMVS's. I always have mine on MVS mode and for NG: Dev's game I just put dip switch 7 to on, to enable freeplay. No problems or hassle.

How do I set up Free Play to 1 in hard dip? The regular NG stick doesn't seem to allow changing between 0 (off) and 1(on). Instead, I go into test mode (holding B+C+D), then soft dip, hardware setting (third option), and change the start to "FREE", I forgot the exact verbiage but there are only 2 options so anyone should be able to figure out.

When I power back up, I just keep pushing select button (the ones we usually add credits) and it'll keep rebooting, slowly, you'll see credits adding up but this is PITA way to play if I need more than 8 credits.

Overall, very pleased with what NGDEV does with CE, initially I had concerns over wood MVS carts but the cart is very sturdy, no scratch/dent nor woods chipping off during insertions and removals (unless doing it roughly). Now I pretty much have to have every game NGDEV makes (AES and MVS).

Is it just me or is anyone thinking when touching those accessories (manuals, flyers and posters) will drop the value of the game?

As it creates bends and crinkles, and I'm handling those things like antiques.

Last edited:

powerflower

Banned
The system can draw up to 380 sprites on the screen at a time, and up to 96 per scanline.
I would think the Neo would be able to handle it.
I'm curious also, were there any games that over locked the system at all?

I just looked it up: everything on screen is drawn by 16*512 pixels (width/height) sprites/stripes. Now we have 320*224 resolution which means you need 20 sprites to fill the Screen with one background. Another layer costs another 20 so we have 40 sprites for two layers, no big deal so far. But keep in mind that objects (the classic sprites) can consist of 2 or more of Neos sprites like a 48 pixels wide character is built up from 3 stripes/sprites.

And then you have all the bullets flying around, you see the 90 sprite per line limit is hitting relatively fast and sprites start to vanish/flicker.

I highly doubt that the first level of ThunderForce4 with all the parallaxes and insane speed is possible on Neo.

http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/NeoGeoProgrammersGuide.pdf

@Mendel,
very nice set-up you have:) Does this TV Scart-RGB?

Last edited: