Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The UPS guy came and he didn't deliver it! He said he'd be back in an hour or so with more once he unloaded his truck some more. Yay Christmas!

slerch666

updyke,
Gamestop just emailed me my order confirmation and tracking. My system and extra stick are both out for delivery right now! Due by 3pm today. Woot!

Fine print is "by 3 PM today... RESIDENTIAL DELIVERIES are "by end of the day"" or something along those lines. This means they can deliver anytime between now and 11:50 PM if they want. They suck like that.

slerch666

updyke,
no word from gamestop yet; pissing me off. i literally ordered the day pre-orders opened with overnight shipping.

I ordered mine from Gamestop and I should have it later today. Any chance your credit card has an issue? It hasn't expired since you ordered or something? I had that happen with another place once. Couldn't figure out why it never shipped, then after emailing them, I was told it was my credit card expiration being wrong. No idea why they wouldn't actually EMAIL a person about that...

kalvinmaui

n00b
Finally had a chance to open this baby up and mess around with the system. The box for the gold system is sweet. Love the handle on top. Everything was packaged really nice. Seeing the Neo Geo seals on the sides of the boxes is an awesome touch.

Docking Station
The docking station is cool but kinda felt cheap imo. The plastic is much thinner than the original AES. Really felt like one of those Chinese knock off systems. Once hooked up to my lcd with the HDMI cables included, the picture looked terrible. I know, these are meant to be played on a crt. Once I adjusted the picture, sharpness and colors, it looked very similar to the Neo Geo station on my PS3 and my AES through component. I couldn't figure how to change to 4:3 mode on my tv. It kept displaying in 16:9. On the handheld I was able to adjust it, but once its docked, it would not change to 4:3. Also I noticed that the top and bottom of the screen is cut off?

Hand held
The hand held is great. It felt sturdy and high quality. My right shoulder button clicks but the left one just presses in? I wasn't sure if they made it this way on purpose or if anyone else has the same thing on theirs? Love the joystick pad, feels very responsive. Emulation ran great, it felt like I was playing on AES. I was able to change the language to Japan in the in game options for SS2, so I got blood. Unfortunately some of the games did not have this option such as Metal Slug, so I was stuck with sweat. The screen is what bothers me. You really have to look at the screen at the right angle, otherwise its hard to see whats on screen. I messed around with the brightness and it helped a little. May be I'm spoiled from my Vita. The OS is really basic, which is fine. It gets the job done in choosing your games.

Joystick controller
The joystick feels just like the AES. Once again, a little lighter than the original imo. The response is great and I love the clicking sounds.

Overall, I'm happy with the the bundle. $200 well spent. Will this replace my AES? No, but it is a nice replica and does look good displayed next to it. Hopefully we see some cool games released for it soon.

My local Gamestop told me that mine would not be in today, they shipped it ground so they expect it in store on Friday. So much for a release date.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I read that the TV should display the aspect ratio of the handheld, so you need to set the handheld to 4:3 before putting it in the dock to get 4:3 on the tv. Maybe someone else who has theirs can confirm?

UPS just dropped mine off, but I'm still at work. I might fiddle with it a little on my lunch break.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Anything on scanlines? I have this preordered, but I really may not keep it when it arrives tomorrow. I lost a lot of interest over the last month.

kalvinmaui

n00b
I read that the TV should display the aspect ratio of the handheld, so you need to set the handheld to 4:3 before putting it in the dock to get 4:3 on the tv. Maybe someone else who has theirs can confirm?

UPS just dropped mine off, but I'm still at work. I might fiddle with it a little on my lunch break.

I figured that so I tried it and it still displays in 16:9 even when you set it to 4:3 before placing it in the dock. It could be my tv that is displayed in wide instead of normal? I will have to check it when I get home. I just don't understand why part of the picture is cut off? Anyone else having this issue?

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
So, I was thinking of using my 3D Printer to prototype up a case for the games. I was thinking of taking a 3DS game case, cutting out the part where the game card would snap in and print my own to accept the SD card that these will come on. Then see how much it would cost to get them made.

Anyone have any design issues with the size/shape of using a 3DS case or maintaining the "eco friendly" design of less material?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I wonder if it's your TV then? Maybe it's set to zoom in on 4:3 content, that could explain the missing top and bottom.

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
That looks exactly like one of the first DS cases, that used to have a place for the GBA games too.

Also, could someone who's gotten theirs take a measurement of the screen length and width, I'd like to see if maybe a psp screen protector will cover the screen.

Last edited:

chimera

New Challenger
Im also getting mine from gamestop today. i payed for one day shipping. im excited like everyone else. just hope they release new games for it.

squidget

n00b
question for some folks here - is it worth to keep the pre-order or do you think the limited edition would be available again elsewhere? Having difficulty with AMZ and it would be easier to cancel then for me to get it.

Went to GameStop they claim they already got their shipment for the day. No Neo Geo X. I'm beyond pissed off considering I reserved when it was announced and paid in full for it. Never again Amazon from here on out...

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I played with mine for a few minutes at lunch time, both as a handheld and in the dock connected to my SDTV through AV.

Handheld:
I love the d pad! It's halfway between the NGPC and the Neo CD pads. It has a great feel, but you don't have to move it as far as the Neo CD pad. The face buttons also feel nice, the L and R buttons feel like mush, but those aren't action buttons anyway. The screen looks pretty good, but not as nice as the current generation of handhelds. I'd say it's better than a PSP 1000, but not as good as a PSP 3000 and nowhere near the Vita.

Console:
It's the perfect size IMO, a little bigger than the stick. Doesn't feel cheap at all to me. However, there is one huge negative mark for me: The composite AV out on this thing is TERRIBLE. It's dark, with tons of rainbow banding. Worse than any Neo home system I've ever used, and I've had models with the bad AV before. I really hope one of us can figure out how to get RGB/component out of it. Otherwise, the emulation is really good, the sound is good, and I can barely tell it's emulation. Metal Slug slows down exactly like real hardware.

Stick:
Feels good, man! It is the exact same size as the old style stick, but there are a few differences. The NGX stick has a satin finish, which I prefer to the Neo's original gloss. I'm no fan of the old style stick's buttons, but the NGX's buttons feel pretty good, but not as good as a real microswitched button like my beloved Seimitsus. Still, it's good enough that I probably won't bother swapping them out. The stick itself feels great, almost exactly like the original stick.

I have some more tests I want to do when I get home, like trying the stick with the PS3 and PC to see if they work, and seeing if the HDMI to component converter will work (I don't think it will.) Also, the Ninja Master's card is 100% SD, I want to see if a computer will recognize it.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Good to hear Gohan. Keep it coming with the impressions folks. The more good I hear about it will get me to order one. I know I won't have it in time for Christmas, but if the emulation is good then that's all that matters to me.

Mr. Zurkon

Zero's Secretary
They only get them in stock early if it's actually going to be available for normal sale through the store. They don't get them if it's only available for pick up as a convenience to it's customers.

Myself and a friend both pre ordered them in store, so yes they will be receiving them for my friend and I to go pick up; I do this with everything at Gamestop.

chimera

New Challenger
Went to GameStop they claim they already got their shipment for the day. No Neo Geo X. I'm beyond pissed off considering I reserved when it was announced and paid in full for it. Never again Amazon from here on out...

did you pre order it online? i pre ordered mine online from gamestop and just got mine from ups right now. I think mine was drop shipped instead of coming from a warehouse somewhere. the box looks crazy sweet! about to open it..

slerch666

updyke,
question for some folks here - is it worth to keep the pre-order or do you think the limited edition would be available again elsewhere? Having difficulty with AMZ and it would be easier to cancel then for me to get it.

LE w/ Ninja Masters is supposedly sold out, though others have reported they ordered it when the LE stuff wasn't included on the website and still received it. I'm thinking anyone that orders the Gold would get Ninja Masters.

Order it elsewhere, leave the Amazon order and if you get it w/ Ninja Masters, cancel. If not, wait for Amazon to ship then return the non-NM version to them for full credit.

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Add me to the list of people who were burned by GS this morning. I just got back from the store I placed the preorder for, and they claim that the system shipped yesterday, and should arrive by Friday or Monday of next week. What a bunch of shit.