neo-geo cd, is it worth it?

I definitely want a Neo-Geo console, but a AES or MVS are waaaaaaay out of my price range. I'm interested in a Neo-Geo CD, because it's cheaper. The thing is, I hear that the load times on it are horrific. Just how bad are these load times?

GeoStigma

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Depends on the game, for example, Metal Slug 1 & 2 has relatively brief load times while KoF 99 takes about 10+ seconds to load a match.

Try to pick up a CDZ if you can, load times are a bit quicker.

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
Lazy people... you need to learn to use this site's searching engine (since this has been asked hundreds of times before) and also the Internet properly....anyway...here you go

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
More than worth it for any game pre-96/7

i got a CDZ, play it more than the AES

such a variety of games for so little, and the CDs are ace in their own right

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I agree with Soulthug, but if your logic for getting a NGCD is purely to save money on games, then save up a tad more and go MVS.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Word.

Abasuto said:
I agree with Soulthug, but if your logic for getting a NGCD is purely to save money on games, then save up a tad more and go MVS.

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Really recommend MVS here. The price to get started is steep, but you make it back in spades on the games. If you can save up for one more month or two it is definitely worth it.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I agree, MVS is a good way to go if you're all about saving money and getting the best games.

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
Load times...well you can make a sandwich and have it eatin by the time it's done loading. I hope this helps. :smirk:

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
It's a good system all things considered. If you can save up some $ and go AES or MVS. I haven't touched my Neo CD in a bout two years, now that I have games like Metal Slug for the AES.

Another thing I have noticed is a lack of US eBay sellers offering NGCD's. A few years ago there was a lot more Neo CD stuff on eBay.

If you're not sure if the Neo is for you, it a good way to test the water....system is cheap and so are the games (even if they are new and sealed). If you get it and want to trade up you should be able to get back at least what you paid for it.

Also, the CDZ is not twice as fast as the regular Neo CD…it is a little quicker….but 2X is a stretch.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Do yourself a favor and get a mvs system. You will enjopy it more. And alot of games are not avaible on cd. There are a few cd exclusives though.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I liked the CD system and owned the original and the CDZ. IMO MVS is the way to go and I wish I would have gone that way a long time ago.

MVS is great and also gives you a lot of games that didn't make it out in CD.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Hmm...

CD soundtracks make it worth it but load times may make you change your mind.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I started off with the Neo CD and loved it as my first Neo experience. If you just need to feed your Neo fix quickly and cheaply and dont mind the load times go with the Neo CD. Dont go crazy buying games for it though, instead save that money for a decent MVS setup and once you got enough cash then get the MVS setup.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
greedostick, that sig is too huge, please resize it. :annoyed:

And yes, NGCD is totally worth it.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
If you're into getting into the games and playing without insane load times (I'm thinking of fighters like KOF, RealBout, later SamShos) then definately go MVS.

I started my neo collection with a CD system and got rid of it right away. Waiting 1 minute in between RB2 matches killed it for me.

The sound tracks are sweet as hell and (as already has been stated) the old games are hella cool.

Get a CD system, but make sure and get an MVS too. (and pick up some AES carts just because they are magic....)

Angel

Morden's Lackey
i've loved my Neo CD ever since I got it and have a pretty good Library of games, at least in my opinion and the load times don't really bother me. Here's what I got.

Puzzle Bobble-after initial load, no more loading

Viewpoint- after initial load, no more loading

Crossed Swords-after initial load, no more loading

The Super Spy-after intial load, no more loading

Super SidekicksII-after initial loads, there are 2 more before the game starts but they are pretty minimul loads compared to other games, i'd say no more than 20 second wait.

KOF 94,95,96,97-i only play KOF 97, after initial load, if you play singles with demo cut on, then the loads aren't bad at all, very managable and a very fun game, i love it.

Samurai Showdown II- after initial load, you have your normal load between MATCHES, not rounds, and the loads are pretty quick, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS GAME

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special-after initial load, the loads between matches are pretty long. This is the longest loading game I own, still not too bad, but gets annoying after a while, but it's worth to finish the game to see Blue Mary's Blues video.

Overall, my experience with load times is pretty minimal, they don't really bother me, other than long exposure to RBFFS, or team play KOF, but still as far as the system goes, I enjoy it.

Dampfwalze

Armored Scrum Object,
20 Year Member
Sometimes I prefer the modules (no loading times), sometimes I prefer the CD Versions (extras, arranged soundtrax).

If you can live with the loading times and like to have a neat looking system, go CD, otherwise choose the MVS.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Emperor Bohe said:
The thing is, I hear that the load times on it are horrific. Just how bad are these load times?

Its pretty much like a crippled dog on tranquilizers.

Angel

Morden's Lackey
for christs sake people, the loading times aren't that bad. jesus.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Angel said:
for christs sake people, the loading times aren't that bad. jesus.

heh, I think people like the loading times, deep down inside.

:spock: