Neo CDZ stick vs. AES Stick

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Not sure if people already asked this question in the past, how does Neo CDZ stick compare to original AES stick in quality & durability?

Last edited:

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
"Bean" sticks are of inferior quality. Do yourself a favor and get an AES stick and upgrade the guts inside. Or build a custom stick. There are various threads on this.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
"Bean" sticks are of inferior quality. Do yourself a favor and get an AES stick and upgrade the guts inside. Or build a custom stick. There are various threads on this.

I see.
I still have four original AES sticks I bought in mid-90s and they are durable like rock!
I was thinking to get a CDZ stick to see the difference.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
95% of CDZ sticks for sale are used. The stick gets mushy and non-responsive. Your beater AES sticks are more responsive than any CDZ stick.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
Don't waste your money on the "bean" stick. I even prefer the CD pad over the "bean".

I see.
I still have four original AES sticks I bought in mid-90s and they are durable like rock!
I was thinking to get a CDZ stick to see the difference.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I like the beans personally, I cam stick my thumb on the stick and is it like a D pad.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Can you replace the stick and buttons in a bean stick with better shit?

That was my original plan. I know it can be done as I saw videos/threads about it. But then I saw the prices for the bean controller and decided to make a custom stick by myself.

I was scouring google for some links but couldn't find any. I don't recall what keywords I used.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
It's a matter of taste.
Both are equally really well built for stock sticks.

The first model has a flaw, which is the durability of the buttons. Play a few rounds of 3 Count Bout or Blazing Star and you can throw your A button down the shiter.
The old style stick has a splendid ergonomic form that allows your hands to play in a very relaxed position, either if you wanna use your thumb for the A button or your index finger.

The base of the first stick is larger, thus better for lap play.
The bean stick is not thumb position friendly. If you wanna use the 4 buttons, you'll have a better time using your pinky to reach the D button.

I myself use a combination of both.
The main shell is the old style one. Then I swapped the shorter bean stick pole onto the old style one.
It's exactly the same as the old style one, but as it's smaller, the throw is quicker for my left hand position.

Then comes the buttons.
The original ones while good, they wear fast depending the use you give them or how hard you mash them.
I personally removed all of 'em and replaced first with Seimitsus then later with Sanwa ones. I like the later better.

It's hard for me to feel that comfortable on another stick after I played for more than 14 years with that configuration.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
James does replacement bean controllers parts.

I've done about maybe 12 of them, here's a couple. The sticks are fine once they are cleaned and regreased but I prefer to swap in the joystick shaft from an old style stick as it's slightly longer.

To get the 24mm buttons to fit in the bean controller it's a lot more work than the old style stick.

newstyle-mod.jpg
white-stick.jpg
ed-stick.jpg

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Try to locate a used hori fight stick. I recently picked up 2 "non-working" ones for about $40 each shipped from Japan.
I agree with the others I've had both the bean and original stick and the bean stick I had to tear apart and try to readjust it to respond.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
The problem I have with the 'bean' controller is how to hold it comfortably. It's not big enough to sit on your lap and use like the normal arcade stick, and it's not small enough to hold in your hands like a control pad. I have one but I never use it, I much prefer the CD pad.

SAKAMOSTRO

Rugal's Thug
The problem I have with the 'bean' controller is how to hold it comfortably. It's not big enough to sit on your lap and use like the normal arcade stick, and it's not small enough to hold in your hands like a control pad. I have one but I never use it, I much prefer the CD pad.
True.

QUOTE=Xian Xi;3941799]I've done about maybe 12 of them, here's a couple. The sticks are fine once they are cleaned and regreased but I prefer to swap in the joystick shaft from an old style stick as it's slightly longer.

To get the 24mm buttons to fit in the bean controller it's a lot more work than the old style stick.

View attachment 28783
View attachment 28784
View attachment 28785[/QUOTE]
I know that beauty in black, white and red! It's sitting in front of me.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
never been able to use any stick,so i found a way to use a sega saturn style controller on my aes.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
AES stick is tops for sure, cracked ball top and everything but then I also think the bean stick is highly underrated. Really enjoy using mine for shmups and non-fighting games.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
AES stick is tops for sure, cracked ball top and everything but then I also think the bean stick is highly underrated. Really enjoy using mine for shmups and non-fighting games.

I agree. The bean stick for fighting games is pretty bad for me, there just doesn't seem to be a comfortable position that I can find where I can hit the moves correctly 100% of the time (I generally have the AES stick on my lap when playing), but playing shooters and puzzles games I think it's pretty nice.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
24mm buttons in the kidney sticks looks sexy.

I need a dedicated all Sanwa neo stick sometime. I've got madcatz sticks that I've modded to work, but a dedicated stick would be sweet.

Last edited:

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I prefer the Max stick for fighters and the kidney for platformers and run n gun. Have had to replace switches in the Max stick before. But if given a choice of only one, I'll go Max every time.