Need to purchase a car (Update: Car Purchased!)

lordnikon

Another Striker
I was working in downtown chicago for years. So I took the train, and had no use for a car. My old one that I had since I was a teenager died out on my a long while back.

I have never actually went to a dealer and purchased a car. I have to buy one, and any advice you guys could give for me would be a huge help.

I will be driving the car anywhere from 160 to 320 miles per week. A fuel efficient car would be great. Also I am looking for reliability. I know NOTHING about car companies and which to go with. I was thinking of a Honda, but I am not sure.

I have roughly $4,000-5,000 to work with, but I could push it to $6,000 if that is really going to make a huge difference.

Any tips would be great, because if I go in without a clue, I am going to get raped at a dealership.

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
If you want economy and reliability I'd suggest a Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Since you've never been to a dealership before, there are some things that you should never tell the salesman, such as:

1. I'd like to keep my monthly payments below X amount.

2. How would financing affect the price of the car?

3. I have X amount to spend.

4. I need a car now.

Haggle over the price of the car first, then when that's set in stone, then move on to financing. Dealers will fuck you over if you tell them you have a set budget (I learned the hard way).

And be careful about buying used. I've been fucked by a dealership with a SUV that needed repairs right off the lot. I got home and the water pump and some gaskets were leaking everywhere. I did have an extended warranty, but the deductible was $100, which I had to argue with them for over an hour to get waived.

Oh, and another thing if your buying used... shop around for extended warranties, there's 3rd party extended warranties out there that are usually better and cheaper than the ones the dealership offers. (I got fucked on that too)

I'm going to be shopping for a new car soon too, let me know how it turns out for you.

SSS

neo retired
The last 4 vehicles I owned have come from Carmax. Nothing but good experiences with them. as for reliability, your best bet would be a late 90's early 2000's Toyota or honda. Civic, accord, corolla etc... all 4 cylinder models should get you near 30 MPG highway.

Last edited:

lordnikon

Another Striker
Is that $4000 - $6000 budget the total you want to spend, or what you have available for a downpayment?
I have 4-6 thousand total that I would want to spend. I wanted to pay for a car straight up. I see no advantage to delaying payment and stacking up interest. So I was planning on buying a used car. However I guess I might consider a new car, if buying used was going to involve flushing money down the toilet on a car that would require tons of immediate repair.

And be careful about buying used. I've been fucked by a dealership with a SUV that needed repairs right off the lot. I got home and the water pump and some gaskets were leaking everywhere. I did have an extended warranty, but the deductible was $100, which I had to argue with them for over an hour to get waived.
Yea this is what I want to avoid. Where I will be driving puts me in the middle of corn fields. I am driving out west about 50+ miles from Chicagoland area. So if the car starts crapping out on me, I am essentially stuck in the middle of fucking nowhere.

Should I chance it on a used model? or sink the monthly payments into a brand new car? About how much would monthly financing be on a new car costing about $14,000?

I really want to avoid spending the money on a new car if I don't have to. All I need is for this used car to hold up for a good year or so with no major breakdowns or problems.

The last 4 vehicles I owned have come from Carmax. Nothing but good experiences with them. as for reliability, your best bet would be a late 90's early 2000's Toyota or honda. Civic, accord, corolla etc... all 4 cylinder models should get you near 30 MPG highway.
Okay great this is good information to know. The part about the 4 cylinders. I simply know nothing about cars at all. All of my driving will be highway. So this is key info.

If anyone has any extra technical info in terms of this versus that, it would be great as then I know what to narrow down in terms of car specs.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Get a Toyota Corolla S.

Buy privately and just get the car checked out by a reputable mechanic first.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Definitely vouching for the Toyota part of this. My 99 Celica gets good mileage (even though it's an auto) and is really reliable (nearing 100k, no issues).

Not to mention it's fun to drive and sexy as hell to look at :drool:

edit: To add another random opinion, Honda Civics are alright but I don't like them a lot personally. They have stupid design decisions like leaving the headlights turned on if you exit the car and leave them flipped on (what your car's scared of the dark?), look boring, and embody the "Hold On, Not Done Accelerating" acronym. I've driven my mom's around quite a bit, and it handles decently, but it's sluggish IMO.

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
Definitely vouching for the Toyota part of this. My 99 Celica gets good mileage (even though it's an auto) and is really reliable (nearing 100k, no issues).

Not to mention it's fun to drive and sexy as hell to look at :drool:

I don't doubt their cars are reliable, but I'm kinda of done with them as a company after my last vehicle's frame (a tacoma) started turning into iron oxide sand and was sold back to them.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
japanese are retaining too much value. you will be over paying.

I would recommend something like an 03 Ford Taurus. You'll get a better deal, and the car is just as reliable. Parts and labor will be dirt cheap if anything does happen. Since there are so many out there, most problems should have been fixed or well documented.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
japanese are retaining too much value. you will be over paying.

I would recommend something like an 03 Ford Taurus. You'll get a better deal, and the car is just as reliable. Parts and labor will be dirt cheap if anything does happen. Since there are so many out there, most problems should have been fixed or well documented.

As an owner of multiple Tauruses this is pretty good info as well. 08s just back from fleet use were on lots around here for 9990. Not saying get a fleet car but yeah, the Taurus price drops like a rock. For your 5000 you could basically get 5 $1000 1995 Tauruses and get 50k miles out of each and do as good as if you got a new car to go 250k miles. The 3.0L Vulcan engine is also stupid easy to work on. I would say beware trans problems as they are common, but mine never had a problem at 150k+ miles on it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Having owned 3 cars, do not buy a used car unless you know how to fix them. When you buy a used car you are buying someone elses problems.

Get a new car if possible, if you can afford a monthly payment go for it. Get a nice compact car 4cyl, today's 4cyl are much better than they were 10 years ago.

lordnikon

Another Striker
I guess the first thing I should pin down is do I buy used? or new?

I am a graphic designer and while my situation right now is totally messed with with trying to wrap up a college degree I never finished (4 classes remaining, a totally fucked up situation that I will not even get into), my volotile work situation will only really last roughly this year. Soon I should be able get back to the point where I am making decent money again as soon as I can get this school BS behind me. Its like a hurdle I just have to overcome in order to move on with my life.

Right now I have about $12,000 saved up in the bank. Health insurance payments and some other costs are bleeding it from month to month currently.

As stated above, I am going to be driving out west about 40-50 miles each way. So that means driving into the void of nowhere west of chicago.

I want to avoid the possibility of my vehicle breaking down, leaving me stranded.

Can I buy a used car that will be reliable? or am I going to have inevitable breakdowns due to purchasing something used in the $5,000 range?

Since my financial situation could improve this year, and will definatly improve next year (full time job by next year will be no problem at all), should I look into financing a brand new/almost brand new car for around 10-15 grand? (based on Xian Xi's comment above this might be the route to take)

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
First off, do not buy a Mazda.

Second, do not buy a car based on money you expect to have in the future.

Third, a used $5000 car can be reliable, if you know what to buy. Hondas and Toyotas are probably safe bets, as long as you get a reputable mechanic to check it out before you buy. When buying used, you should plan to make some repairs right off, but major breakdowns are hardly "inevitable."

Finally, I've bought new twice, and used twice. I've had better luck with the used ones, not to mention that new cars decrease ridiculously in value over the first year. I don't recommend for anyone to buy new unless there's just no other way to get exactly what you want.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
First off, do not buy a Mazda.

Second, do not buy a car based on money you expect to have in the future.

Third, a used $5000 car can be reliable, if you know what to buy. Hondas and Toyotas are probably safe bets, as long as you get a reputable mechanic to check it out before you buy. When buying used, you should plan to make some repairs right off, but major breakdowns are hardly "inevitable."

Finally, I've bought new twice, and used twice. I've had better luck with the used ones, not to mention that new cars decrease ridiculously in value over the first year. I don't recommend for anyone to buy new unless there's just no other way to get exactly what you want.

My girl had a 626... Not bad...

Also, If you have $6000 cash, you should be able to get something decent like a certified for $14,000 total... Borrowing $8,000 over 3 years should be pretty decent....

Or you could just buy something for $6,000 and save what would be a payment every month.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
My girl had a 626... Not bad...

Also, If you have $6000 cash, you should be able to get something decent like a certified for $14,000 total... Borrowing $8,000 over 3 years should be pretty decent....

Or you could just buy something for $6,000 and save what would be a payment every month.
Fixed.

lordnikon

Another Striker
Third, a used $5000 car can be reliable, if you know what to buy. Hondas and Toyotas are probably safe bets, as long as you get a reputable mechanic to check it out before you buy.
That is sort of the problem since I am so inexperienced when it comes to purchasing cars, but this thread is saving my life though. How do you take it to a mechanic before you buy? How is that possible? I would think the dealer would flip out if you wanted to do that.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That is sort of the problem since I am so inexperienced when it comes to purchasing cars, but this thread is saving my life though. How do you take it to a mechanic before you buy? How is that possible? I would think the dealer would flip out if you wanted to do that.

Nah, Most are cool....

They want your money.... SO they will suck dick to make a sale.

matrimelee

Hardened Shock Trooper
Buying used doesn't have to be a nightmare. Just stay away from high mileage. I have bought 3 vehicles at or under 20000k miles, no problems. Those were:
2005 SRT4 Neon (fun to drive, kind of a toy, didn't keep it much more than a year)

2005 Chrysler Crossfire limited (again, kind of a toy. wish I didn't buy it, but no problems. just wish I'd bought something more useful, now that I have a baby on the way).

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara (great family ride, as long as 5 seats is enough. if we decide to have another child after this one, I'll have to get something bigger).

I have also had an older Nissan 200sx, which I think is like a Sentra. That was reliable to about 190k, then I traded it in when things started breaking it. So those are probably great cheaper cars, actually!

So that's the good experiences. Stay away from used VW Passat's, especially the turbo models. I had the worst experience ever, with a 1998 model bought at 75k miles. Never again will I buy something so high mileage, if I can avoid it. Never again will I buy a VW.

lordnikon

Another Striker
Okay so lets say I am going to be looking at used cars within the $5,000-5,500 range. What type of mileage should I look for? Like whats the max I should avoid?

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Okay so lets say I am going to be looking at used cars within the $5,000-5,500 range. What type of mileage should I look for? Like whats the max I should avoid?

Watch out for too little mileage as well. I bought a 3 year old Pontiac Grand Prix with 8,000 miles on it and boy did it end up causing me headaches. Just a heads up. This car must have been sitting around rotting.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
go for an 80's 200 or 300 series Mercedes (preferbly diesel). if you take care of the car the engine will last you 400,000+ miles. also, those series of Mercedes are very economical. additionally, these days a lot of people like to convert these particular Mercedes into bio fuel vehicles & the conversion costs about $2,000.