My custom neo sticks and how to make them easily

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Let me start by saying that the red stick is the first stick I ever built. I actually took the art from someone elses custom stick design, and just took a section of it and duplicated it to just give me my neo style barber shop pattern. Now that stick has a twin brother in blue. Unfortunately it has some plexi cracks, so I need to get a better sheet or redo it.. Here is the thing. The red one I made has all sanwa parts. So I decided with the blue one, to make it all seimitsu. I might switch my LS-32 to be a LS-40. I've actually cut the top plate with my router for a example of it.

The design is a simple slagcoin box enclosure. I made this enclosure out of some cheap wood I got at home depot/lowe's, which I cut with my mitre saw. This is your housing. The top part I got at lowe's as a large board, I had them cut these large boards to be 8x10. I might switch to MDF next time I make one.

The lexan acylic sheet over the top of the stick was not cut to size, it is purchased at a 8x10 size and is a exact match for the blank boards I had cut for my top panel. I drill my 30mm holes with a hole-saw and one 24mm hole where the stick mounts. I use this to align my joystick plate for tracing later, and this also serves as a hole for my router.

I simply lay the 8x10 lexan/plexi over the top board, I drill four holes into the corners. With this done, I screw what I have together, as it will be naturally aligned. Plexi screwed to wood... Then the fun begins. Since I precut the top board earlier with the 30mm holes, I can simply just place my hole saw into the holes by turning the mounted pieces over. Doing this lets them align perfectly. I use a small amount of water to lubricate it as I do this. I used vegetable oil originally, but it leeches like crazy and oils up your top art over time, so I prefer water now.

After that, it is good to sand the plexi holes as best you can. this strengthens the plexi also, as it leaves nearly invisible lines going in a particular direction, which means it has less of a chance of cracking when a button is switched.

Then you can just paint it.

2uhs8k7.jpg

357gahz.jpg

Last edited:

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I like it.

I'd just change the angle position of the buttons, AES style.
That would be killer.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
that is badass. it seems hard to build a stick. I definitely gotta check out some of your vids since I would love to build a stick of my own

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I really should make a stick tutorial at some point.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Very nice job man, i really like the old skool MVS stripes. I have those same buttons as well.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Good work for being the first time brother.

Button layout is meh but it's just a matter of preference.

If you need some art just let me know, I got some of the old repros I made of the old SNK CPOs. I can send you a PDF and you can do whatever you want with it.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I need to order a new set of router bits. I do everything with a single bit. I'd like to remove the boxy appearance to, and have smooth siding.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yeah a router would be ideal. I always smooth out the edges, but lately a lot of folks are doing the diamond shapes which look pretty cool too. Granted I haven't built a stick in a long time.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
im also digging the old school mvs stripes on the sticks. i would love to have these to use on my cmvs! that would be a beautiful set up

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Could you make and sell these cheaper than what AI charges?

EtotheNGSPD

Mr. Big's Thug
I really should make a stick tutorial at some point.
You should, or make them and sell them for cheap. I like my sticks made out of wood, just like the one you made. I really don't like those Madcatz sticks made out of plastic. As a matter of fact, I have like 6 Madcatz Brawl stick (just the case) that I'm thinking about giving away.
How do you mount the stick though?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
a little bulky perhaps, but otherwise I really like them. Good stuff. I'd also like to see some pics of the inside and how you mounted the stick :)

A tutorial wouldn't hurt I guess, but what could be in it that hasn't been covered somewhere (like here) already...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I like the design, basic and practical.

I was thinking a stick based off of half a 2L6B astro panel would be cool. Similar to one the Saturn has. I have a rusted out to hell 2L6B astro panel that luckily isn't on the 1P side..... ideas.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I wanna say, if you guys do this, be very careful drilling and hole sawing optix. I hate optix brand plexi. I swear, that stuff can't stand up to the most simple pressure sometimes.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Lexan is a bit more expensive but it's easier to drill and it doesn't shatter like plexy does.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I love lexan, stupid lowe's doesn't have anymore. Might do a bulk order online. I was wondering what was up, because my holesaw was taking a god damn beating drilling that optix. Thanks for that post, it helps me realize it isn't entirely my fault. Sucks both shattered to, because I had water lubrication as well. I might use machining oil next time for the lexan.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
No problem.

You don't even need the oil, I'm sure it can only help though. I have drilled so much lexan over the years, never given me a problem. I have drilled plexy, pilot holes and a high speed drill are a must, also wood bits are better than metal bits for plexy or lexan. As far as holesaws go, don't use a wood hole saw bit, use metal in this case. You can also get a counter sink bit to make those screws flush if you wanna, they look flush but doing it with a drill bit risks fucking it up.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I traditionally use my hole saw which is made for cutting metal. I actually originally bought it to saw into this metal panel.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
It is done. Lexan is king. I installed a LS-32. Needs a new spring.

72x7ip.jpg

Notable flaws:
Panel screws are not centered and just at edges.
Button alignment is off on A and B.
Under panel should be painted at the edges.. I'm considering doing this soon with both these sticks.
SIgns of wood piecing is shown at 1 and 5 o clock.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Glad you found some. I think it looks good, I really like the red blue theme for 1p 2p. I think the sticks would look sick with all red and blue hardware, respectively of course.

Instead of keep working on these 2 sticks any further, just make another set of 2, these 2 look good as they are and you might start taking going backwards and mess it up unintentionally. If you decide to build another set you'll notice being better at the whole thing as you go along. Hell, you could put together the cases and get the lexan and do all that, don't paint them until you get your router bits and when you do then finish up, prime, paint and presto! Keep these as your beater uppers you know? That way you have a set to keep at home nice and mint and the other set for the road or whatevs. Just a suggestion.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Why dont you mitre your corners instead of butt joints?

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I need a rabbeting bit, and I want to do that. I don't trust mitre saw angles for these. I know what you're getting at, but going around the entire thing with a router feels like it's gonna line up good on all sides better then a mitre. Things don't always connect as intended, and I'd rather do that when it's all finished.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Absolutely, you are better off putting everything together and then going over it with the router. A whole lot easier and it gives you a much better finish.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Minor suggestion for your next (or on these even) - sex screws will give a much cleaner look to the top of the stick.