MVS cab speaker question

TheBakachan

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
The speakers in my MVS-4 are pretty beat and sound sort of awful. So I've decided they need to go. I know they're 8ohm 5watt speakers, but the speakers I have on hand that I want to replace them with are 9.8ohm, is this close enough that I shouldn't worry?

As it is, I want to build a new off-board amp to drive some really meaty speakers, so I'm mostly worried about what these out-of-spec speakers could do to the on-board amp in the meantime.

I've used one of the speakers in question with my single slot boards exclusively and there were no problems, so I would assume I'm good to go, yeah?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Do you have a headphone jack on the cab? If so then try the headphone jack and see whether the sound quality is the same as the speakers or is it normal otherwise.

TheBakachan

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Do you have a headphone jack on the cab? If so then try the headphone jack and see whether the sound quality is the same as the speakers or is it normal otherwise.

It's normal otherwise.

I went ahead and replaced the speakers. The sound had always been a little low, I assumed the on-board amp needed to be re-capped... Basically, max volume was a comfortable playing volume.

Turns out, it probably had more to do with the structural integrity of the paper cones on the speakers. (Or lack thereof, as they were shredded to shit.) It also didn't help that the metal screen over the speaker slots (No doubt intended to keep out inquisitive or malicious fingers and foreign objects) was all pushed up into the speakers. (By inquisitive or malicious fingers and foreign objects)

It sounds goddam SUPERB now, so really all I need to know is if 9.8 ohm speakers are going to strain the on-board amp compared to the stock 8 ohm speakers.

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
4 Ohm speakers have more current running through them than an 9.8 Ohm speaker when properly matched to an amp (V=IR, V/R=I so as R goes up I goes down)... thing I would worry about is the Voltage on the board is set for a 4 Ohm speaker, therefore, its higher and it could potentially blow your speakers. It shouldn't damage the board though that is normally pushing the higher current to the lower ohm speakers.

TheBakachan

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
4 Ohm speakers have more current running through them than an 9.8 Ohm speaker when properly matched to an amp (V=IR, V/R=I so as R goes up I goes down)... thing I would worry about is the Voltage on the board is set for a 4 Ohm speaker, therefore, its higher and it could potentially blow your speakers. It shouldn't damage the board though that is normally pushing the higher current to the lower ohm speakers.

The MVS-4-25 manual specifies an 8 ohm, 5 watt speaker. (The stock one in my cab was 8 ohm 10 watts) But yeah, I get the point, thanks. Since the new speakers are rated for much higher wattage at about the same load, I'm going to guess it's safer than not.

p.s. It really does sound incredible now. I can FEEL it through the control panel and it's not even too loud. (I have it at like 60% volume.) They're even shielded, unlike the stock speakers.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Better than putting some 2 watters in there.