MST3000 Fans, hear me out (Comedy Central Related)

ClassicMode1985

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Comedy Central's Bar Mitzvah Bash host a 13 year celebration of this network

I noticed out of all the shows they named, they really had them all...except...not ONCE did they mention Mystery Science Theatre 3000. Which I still believe is the greatest longest running series that was on Comedy Central ORIGINALLY, yet Sci-Fi bought the rights. Yet I still think, Comedy Central owns somewhat copyright laws of the original episodes.

Yet to just kick it aside and not even mention it during the whole 2 hours is what really ticked me off

and last Month Sci-Fi Channel canned it, and that was the only reason why I would wake up on a Saturday Morning at 8am was to watch the re-runs

Last edited:

hateful_liar

Armored Scrum Object
Yeah, I noticed the same thing. I kept waiting for them to mention at least something about MST3k. It's utterly ridiculous. How many years was Mystery Science Theater one of the most popular shows CC had? How many freaking all day, holiday marathons did they air? Hell, they showed that bit about Politically Correct and it was on ABC much longer then Comedy Central. Then again, neither Adam Corolla or Jimmy Kimel had anything to do with it, so I can understand why they would snub it. :oh_no:

aria

Former Moderator
Yeah... I noticed the snub as well.

They even started the montage with that "hoisting of the comedienne" that I remember watching back in 1991. (Of course, anyone worth their TV salt would remember that "Comedy Central" resulted when rivals "The Comedy Channel" and "Ha!" merged into one entity.

MST3K actually started on The Comedy Channel and was kept on for Comedy Central... that may be why they didn't cite it: it wasn't actually "their" original programming (rather a holdover).

That's about the only theory I can come up with.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Comedy Central treated MST3K like shit in the past, why should the present be any different? If it wasn't for Chapelle Show, I wouldn't even watch that POS network, the way they treated MST3K was criminal.

Zeekade Zarathos

Krizalids Fashion Designer
Comedy Central has had approximately TWO consistently good, consistently hilarious shows, one of which is MST3K (the other is the Chappelle show, obviously), and to not mention it means that either A) Legally, they could get in trouble or B) They're morons. And since I can't think of any reason that could fall under (A), that leaves (B).

This reminds me of that "History of Video Games" thing when the only mention of Dreamcast was a single sentence: "And then Dreamcast came out. It bombed."

GRRRRRRRRRR!

aria

Former Moderator
Again, they inhereted MST3k: maybe they just didn't want the holdovers. I know it was one of the few old The Comedy Channel shows that made the transition.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Bobak said:
Again, they inhereted MST3k: maybe they just didn't want the holdovers. I know it was one of the few old The Comedy Channel shows that made the transition.
And yet Comedy Central can't rave enough about that shite Absolutely Fabulous (and this is hate coming from a 4-year resident of England who normally can't get enough of British comedy). Correct me if I'm wrong, but that series existed for years before Comedy Central bought into the international syndication rights. Perhaps because they were the first to syndicate it in the U.S. and they didn't ditch it before it finished its run and because it enjoyed widespread mainstream popularity (none of which was the case with MST3K), they can carry on like it was "their baby." I was quite irritated by the lack of any mention of MST3K, and by the whitewashing of the historical origins of the network itself (I'd actually be interested in how HA! and The Comedy Channel (both of which I remember watching) came to be Comedy Central, but I guess CC would rather make believe that they sprang parthenogenetically forth, brilliant and unfaltering). Just sickens me that the network can't take any pride in their humble beginnings. Maybe ABC'll do an intrigue-/backstabbery-filled movie-of-the-week about the founding of CC and we'll get some still-grossly-slanted-but-closer-to-the-truth information than CC is willing to give out.

--Chris

ClassicMode1985

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
So true Dash, and Bobak, thank you for reminding people about the forgotten "Comedy Channel" I do recall now how MST began.

But almost every 5mins, they had to mention South Park and Chappelle Show like it was gold and silver to them. MST3000 was the one that made me watch Comedy Central in the first place, next to all the countless amounts of Stand-Up.

TV FunHouse? That was a surprise, this was originally from Saturday Night Live, how come they only made 6 episodes and yet praise it higher then MST3000?

It's really an insult to trash it aside..regardless of what happened back in the 90's with this merge from Ha! and Comedy Channel, MST3000 was still part of the Comedy Central history and denying that is a crock of shit

BloodLust

World Soccer '96
jesus, people on the internet over react. take a moment to realize that maybe, just maybe, they didnt feel the need to mention every show that ever apeared on the network. and just because they had a segment of clips, and one of them featured somthing from tv fun house, doesnt mean it was given "praise" as you say, more that mystery seince theater.

it was a random scene that had triumph in it. i find it odd how people can be so passionate about the silliest little things, get over selfs already and just complain via email. maybe just for you guys they will rerun the special with one 30 second segment from the show, just to make up for this travisty of a mix up. but seriously, is the show horrid just because it wasnt mentioned at some silly little event? no but thats just my opinion.

-joins in the bitching- grrrrr, and stuff :blow_top:

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
Bobak said:
Yeah... I noticed the snub as well.

They even started the montage with that "hoisting of the comedienne" that I remember watching back in 1991. (Of course, anyone worth their TV salt would remember that "Comedy Central" resulted when rivals "The Comedy Channel" and "Ha!" merged into one entity.

MST3K actually started on The Comedy Channel and was kept on for Comedy Central... that may be why they didn't cite it: it wasn't actually "their" original programming (rather a holdover).

That's about the only theory I can come up with.

Actually, MST 3K started here in MN on channel 23 as a late night filler. They had an idea, and the station just said: OK, here's a few bucks, make something to fill this hole. It was very raw, and you could call into the show and talk with them! I actually still have all those early edisodes on tape (including the ones I called in on). Man. Joel seemed even more stoned back then.

phyrexiadamned

Mr. Big's Thug
damn mst 3000
i remember that show just being a local joke here
that show originally was an art project here in menomonie at uw stout and then it just went on from there
lol i knew they had a movie but i wasnt aware of how far the movie stretched out ( wut i mean is i wasnt sure if it was national or just around this area)

to bad i was to young to fully get it the first time it aired but i remember when my mother went to stout her haveing one of the original coppys from when the show was created

aria

Former Moderator
Oh yeah, Verbatum, I knew it started here -but it made it "big time" when The Comedy Channel picked it up and gave it more money (still chump change by any standard).

Going to Dash no Chris's point:
"Absolutely Fabulous" was a British show, but Comedy Central bought the rights to it after it became Comedy Central (I'm fairly certain about this).

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
This thread brings back memories.

I remember watching HA! religiously on cable, watching all kinds of odd, dead sitcoms like Rhoda, Phyllis, The Duck Factory, and some of the weird shows like Afterdrive and another game show whose name I cannot remember. I also used to be a devout Short Attention Span Theater viewer, which was the first time I saw Jon Stewart.

Then the big merge came, I remember HA! becoming Comedy Central during the Final Four of 1991. I then got turned on to MST3K and was an addict from there on out. I really miss the Turkey Day MST marathons.

ClassicMode1985

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
BloodLust said:
jesus, people on the internet over react. take a moment to realize that maybe, just maybe, they didnt feel the need to mention every show that ever apeared on the network. and just because they had a segment of clips, and one of them featured somthing from tv fun house, doesnt mean it was given "praise" as you say, more that mystery seince theater.

it was a random scene that had triumph in it. i find it odd how people can be so passionate about the silliest little things, get over selfs already and just complain via email. maybe just for you guys they will rerun the special with one 30 second segment from the show, just to make up for this travisty of a mix up. but seriously, is the show horrid just because it wasnt mentioned at some silly little event? no but thats just my opinion.

-joins in the bitching- grrrrr, and stuff :blow_top:

Which reminds me, (Since some people think its a TELEVISION Issue, not an INTERNET issue like Im trying to point out for Mr. Over Reaction) Comedy Central did NOT even thank KIDS IN THE HALL! The 5 Great Canadian Comedy Group was not even given respect! But Ab Fab? Ok..it doesnt make sense...

but on a lighter note, Verbatum, I would LOVE to see those early episodes in a heart beat..been a long time fan here and that's the first time I heard that..

Last edited:

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
ClassicMode1985 said:
Which reminds me, (Since some people think its a TELEVISION Issue, not an INTERNET issue like Im trying to point out for Mr. Over Reaction) Comedy Central did NOT even thank KIDS IN THE HALL! The 5 Great Canadian Comedy Group was not even given respect! But Ab Fab? Ok..it doesnt make sense...
Ack! It hadn't even occurred to me that they'd left out KITH, too! Sheesh....

I didn't watch much of the show beyond the first 30 minutes. Can anyone tell me if Seattle's comedy skit show "Almost Live" was mentioned or not? I suspect Billy Quan may need to teach a few Comedy Central execs a thing or two about the etiquette of giving credit where credit is due....
ClassicMode1985 said:
but on a lighter note, Verbatum, I would LOVE to see those early episodes in a heart beat..been a long time fan here and that's the first time I heard that..
Like Bobak, I'd been aware of MST3K's humble origins, but like ClassicMode1985, I've never had the opportunity to see the "pre-TV's Frank" episodes. Verbatum, if you ever consider taking on the task of making copies of your tapes available, please count me among the interested parties (don't know if you've got any of the Turkey Day Marathons on tape, but if you don't -- and if you'd consider trading copies of your early stuff for copies of my turkey stuff -- I'd take a stab at locating the 2 or 3 marathons I taped).

--Chris

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Verbatum said:
Actually, MST 3K started here in MN on channel 23 as a late night filler. They had an idea, and the station just said: OK, here's a few bucks, make something to fill this hole. It was very raw, and you could call into the show and talk with them! I actually still have all those early edisodes on tape (including the ones I called in on). Man. Joel seemed even more stoned back then.

Do you have any fucking idea how hard most KTMA episodes are to come by? It is your DUTY to find someone and transfer your videos to an electronic format. Look around online, there are plenty of websites that list for certain KTMA episodes something along the lines of "no fancopy known". KEEP CIRCULATING THE TAPES.

edit: Please, if you can, list all the eps you have. I just gotsta know.

Last edited:

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I agree, you should get those tapes on to a safer media at the very least. Does anyone here trade tapes? I have about two dozen episodes on VHS in the closet, but many of them are the last two seasons. I really need some of the earlier episodes.

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
StickmanLoser said:
Do you have any fucking idea how hard most KTMA episodes are to come by? It is your DUTY to find someone and transfer your videos to an electronic format. Look around online, there are plenty of websites that list for certain KTMA episodes something along the lines of "no fancopy known". KEEP CIRCULATING THE TAPES.

edit: Please, if you can, list all the eps you have. I just gotsta know.

I'm currently having a large inventory of my VHS stuff thrown onto DVDand those MST 3K shows are at the top of my list!

ClassicMode1985

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Ghost-Dog said:
I agree, you should get those tapes on to a safer media at the very least. Does anyone here trade tapes? I have about two dozen episodes on VHS in the closet, but many of them are the last two seasons. I really need some of the earlier episodes.

I have like 12 episodes from when it was on Sci-Fi on VHS, if I could get a way to edit out the commericals, it would be perfect

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I'm currently having a large inventory of my VHS stuff thrown onto DVDand those MST 3K shows are at the top of my list!

Dude, you've gotta circulate that shite. Seriously.
Those are a true treasure to any hardcore MiSTie worth his/her salt.
Need any favors? (hopefully asexual.) :tickled:

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
If those eps were converted into some sort of .avi/.mov/.mpg/.wmv format, I can guarantee that my cablemodem would be dedicated to making them available 24/7, either via WinMX, WinMY, bit-torrents, or whatever.
Loopz said:
Need any favors? (hopefully asexual.) :tickled:
So, you're offering to help him reproduce via budding? :p

--Chris

redsnapa

Kuroko's Training Dummy
im at school right now but i know of some channels on mirc that have almost every episode. when i get home ill post the channels if ur interested

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The current episodes lacking known fancopies as far as I know are:

K00-The Green Slime
K01-Invaders from the Deep
K02-Revenge of the Mysterious
K03-Star Force: Fugitive Alien 2

and there is no known complete fancopy of K15-Superdome, apparently the last portion is missing.

C

Crowjunkie

Free Donwloads of KTMA episodes

Goto:http://mst3k.dapcentral.org/ to find free episodes of MST3K (excluding BBI and Rhino releases). READ THE FAQ's!!!! If you follow their guidliones, they WILL give you access to THE MST3K resource on the net!