Mortal Kombat (2021) Movie Thread

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
Anyone else going to go see this or stream it April 23rd? I cant wait. Looks real good, dark in nature, and the fact that its gonna have gory fatalities is a huge plus. Sucks though that there wont be any Johnny Cage. What are yall's thoughts on this upcoming film based on the iconic fighting game franchise? Are you excited for it?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
This thread is more proof that you are a dipshit

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
honestly, I'm surprised MK is still relevant. I thought it died after MK3.
I guess the latest games were not complete turds...

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
honestly, I'm surprised MK is still relevant. I thought it died after MK3.
I guess the latest games were not complete turds...
I mean, if done correctly, Mortal Kombat makes for an entertaining movie. Sure its cheesy, but alot of the stuff in the games were. This is the type of movie you just have fun with for its camp factor. If it manages to be faithful to the first three games then that would be great, but it can't pull any punches. The 90's film was aimed at the kiddos, id like to see this one go full on the gore and brutality.....well, as much as that R rating will allow.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I wanna check it out. A property like MK just can't be taken seriously considering it's content/mythos, etc. It's gonna be a super-serial movie based on a goofball premise.

They got Hiroyuki Sanada to play Scorpion. It's like getting Morgan Freeman to play Blade.

I for one am excited to check it out.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’ll go see it, but I have zero expectations.

I have not seen an MK movie since the original.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I wouldn't think for a second that a modern Mortal Kombat movie would have any of the original flair that Mortal Kombat was known for, which is literally the only actual good thing about it. The series stopped being stylistically definitive and "cool" after the digitized sprite era ended. Mortal Kombat 4 was, sort of OK (looking) but was the beginning of the end for the bitchin' factor of Mortal Kombat.

The Mortal Kombat movie from 1995 was regarded poorly by adults at the time who were into the series it seems, but for an adolescent (and lets face it, kids are basically the peak target audience for MK 1 - 3 ) the movie was entertaining and faithful, while still upping the "cool" factor of MK at the same time. It retained a lot of tiny things from the games and made kind of impressive references. Most notably the autographed Johnny Cage photo fatality reference in the Cage vs Scorpion fight (which by the way had really good cinematography IMO ).

And speaking of Johnny Cage: the actors were mostly all really attractive, and recognizable... I mean Tagawa Hiroyuki as Shang Tsung is sorta genius, and a major preference over some little dude in a yellow outfit like in the games. If you guys haven't seen the Bay Watch episode starring him as the episode's antagonist, you should watch it, by the way.

It had Bridgitte Wilson snapping Kano's neck while an instrumental track of "Jukejoint Jezebel"by KMFDM plays, and it even had the highly typical but great 90s movie song, Halcyon by Orbital.

No Mortal Kombat film or TV show is going to get any better than a 1995 film like that did.

Not even worth watching. Have you seen the art direction for the last 200 games in the series?

EDIT: Also, as my man LoneSage pointed out in a war room thread, the films' delivery of Reptile was also genius

Raiden could have been better. But Lambert is an attractive actor. I found the wizard sage-ifying of Raiden to be acceptable, but they could have gotten away with putting the actual fighting, lightning bolt throwing Raiden in the film... it was definitely missing a AMEYAJAMAEAAHH electric dive.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
They got Hiroyuki Sanada to play Scorpion. It's like getting Morgan Freeman to play Blade.
This is crazy accurate.

This new film looks like it's taking itself way too seriously. The trailer played like a Zack Snyder film without the douchy remix of an old rock song with female vocals.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Hell yeah, it’s a franchise about multicolored undead/magic ninjas who battle to the death, of course I’m gonna day 1 this flick :lolz: I’ll always love Mortal Kombat.

Though nothing beats the 95 original movie for all the reasons Sylvie stated.
scorp-kick.gif

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Mortal Kombat as a franchise never went away. It peaked at 2 and 3 in terms of pop culture popularity, but even after that it eked out some games and had its dedicated fans...then, nearly 10 years ago to the day, it had a rebirth with what should have been Mortal Kombat 9 (instead titled simply Mortal Kombat). Since then the series has risen to newer heights and put NetherRealm Studios on the map. I think the approach the team had with the lore was really effective - with the past few games, you could put the cutscenes together and make a coherent movie from them all. It's made a big difference.

I'm not a fan or anything. I was, 27 years ago like every other retard kid. I mean I'll never forget my 7th birthday party and getting Mortal Kombat II at Putt-Putt Golf. I even had some of the comics.

I think the only game I'd want to play at this point would be the first one. A simple, barebones, no-frills kind of game. Equivalent to the first season of a TV show that's finding its footing and what it wants to be. But the mood is something, and one or two of the stages nail it with their Chinese influence.

Something else I can respect is how one of the co-creators, Ed Boon, seriously stayed with this series since the beginning. I mean without him it's hard to say if there even would be MK games still being made. It's incredible how hard one of the creators has worked to keep his creation culturally relevant nearly 30 years after its debut.

edit: here's a thread with a page of Mortal Kombat (2011) set to ten years ago to the day: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/index...nt-look-like-complete-crap-yet.202556/page-21

Last edited:

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
I guess we'll see. Ive been fully vaccinated so im just dying to go out and watch any movie really. Last movie i saw in a theater was that turd Pet Sematary 2019, so its been a while.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
The only newish game I liked was Mortal Kombat 9 I think it was? Where raiden saw the future and ended up getting lu kang killed. As a teenager I enjoyed the deadly alliance and Deception era. But fell out with Mortal Kombat X when they started adding in guest movie characters like Alien Predator and leatherface. I basically played it for that. But the fatalities got way too over the top and the gameplay was kind of shit to put it bluntly, though MK hasn't really been known for its outstanding gameplay.

Im a big fan of the old MK movies aswell. As kid I enjoyed annihilation even despite how ridiculous it was. This new movie looks to be trying to scratch that itch. Subzero freezing blood and stabbing the guy was cool I guess. Not hoping for much but we will see here.

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
Mortal kombat died with me with part 3, and I never played any MK game ever since. I still might watch the movie though if the theaters start opening.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
MK was a HUGE part of my life growing up [I remember I drew, and mailed, a flipbook Subzero fatality to a girl I became pen pals with from a gaming magazine who was also into the game (we were both young teenagers at the time, this wasn't some pedo shit, but, still seriously screwed up on my part, I can't believe younger me thought that was a good idea)--her parents must have loved that, and she never replied--see, I always come up with smooth moves like that to impress the ladies].

I absolutely loved the Deadly Alliance/Deception/Armageddon MK era and played the shit out of those games on my PS2. I stopped playing the newer games after that, not because I disliked them, but because that's when I stopped buying the newer consoles. I'm happy that MK is still relevant and popular enough to warrant a new movie again. I might get it on DVD down the road.

Alphabet

Zero's Secretary
It had Sylvie snapping Alphabet's neck while an instrumental track of "Jukejoint Jezebel"by KMFDM plays, and it even had the highly typical but great 90s movie song, Halcyon by Orbital.

Yes I felt the same... And the fight Cage VS. Scorpion are the best part only.

MK Annihilation movie was terrible. I won’t be surprise if the next one will be a visual slaughter.
Maybe with a Kosher Mr Bojangles meal as a pairing could make a better experience for this next production.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The three most recent MK games have all been very good. Boon and his people have done a better job with 9, X, and 11 of bringing their franchise into the modern era while keeping authentic to everything fans liked about the original games than Capcom has done with SF5 or SNK has done with KOF or SS. By a billion miles. And I say that as someone who rated Midway as a distant third place, waaaaaay below SNK or Capcom back in the day. But they are killing it now compared to the other two companies.

I mean, wtf. Mortal Kombat 9 from literally a full decade (and 2 console generations) ago looks better and like a better-playing game than the upcoming KOF XV. Never mind the improvements made in X and 11. It's embarrassing and depressing.