Monitor humming noise before black screen

obot64

New Challenger
Last winter I bought an old soul caliber 2 arcade. I stored it in my garage over the winter.

I recently hooked it back up, and moved it into a guy’s game center. When I tested it, I adjusted the Vhold and Hhold in order to get the picture to stretch the length and with of the screen. When I originally bought the game from my local arcade they had the picture setup so that it did not take up the whole screen. It was kina like a bar in the middle of the screen. What I did was stretch the picture out so that it took up the full screen.

I got the picture to look great. But one thing I noticed was a high pitched humming sound that seemed to be coming from the back of the monitor.

I wondered if I did something wrong? The game was up and running for 4 days before the monitor went out. When the game is powered on, you can hear the sound but you just don’t get a picture.

I tested the cab with another PCB (street fighter 2 hyper fighting) to see if the problem could be with the i/o bord or the system 246, but the SF2 PCB did not show a picture either.

Ideas?

The monitor is an RCA A63ADt10X05 (that’s what it says on it)

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Need more info on the monitor...

The RCA part # is the CRT itself and not the monitor chassis.

Easiest thing to do is to check the fuse on the monitor chassis board. If it's blown replace it.

If it powers up to a picture then put a cap kit in it & resolder any cracked joints.

If it immediately blows the fuse then you have other issues to troubleshoot.

RJ

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
you heard the noise coming from the monitor?
I remember reading on Bob Roberts page about transformers humming before the went out.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Most of your standard res monitors will squeal where you can hear them (provided your hearing isn't damaged....)

They run a hair under 16khz...

It doesn't necessarily mean they have "gone out" as there are plenty of other things that can cause a fuse to blow.

Take things a step at a time and replace the fuse first.

RJ

obot64

New Challenger
does anyone have a picture of what the fuse might look like?

I'm going to go to the shop today and take pics.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Uh... oh boy...

At this point you should find a member near you that can help you in person.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
http://www.powerofthepeople.net/mon/DSC03870.JPG

the silvery/glass tube thing all the way in the bottom right corner just infront of the white and black wire pair should be the a/c fuse.

looks like this:
787130.jpg

obot64

New Challenger
the fuze was blown!!!! I replaced it with one from radio shack, but nothing happened (do they take while to start working).

Any further ideas? I still have a week before any tech can come check this out.

Thanks for all the help so far.

123kid

n00b
Blown fuse

What is the item/serial number for that fuse? There are 2 right? I have the same monitor in my killer instinct cab. My fuses are blank? Does that mean it was hand made? Just kidding.