Metal Slug 3 fails CRC check with Unibios 3.0?

aclbandit

Another Striker
Used search but didn't see anything.

Just bought a Metal Slug 3, and visually verified it to be legit based on this page:
http://mvs-scans.com/index.php/Metal_Slug_3

It's the sorta creepy-looking daughterboard model (set 2). I also bought it from a reputable member (ckchan), so I am totally convinced it ISN'T a boot.

Although it seems to run fine, the ROMs fail the CRC check. I was wondering if this was normal for this specific board set, or if I need to worry. It's just kinda weird.

0417002249.jpg

Thanks, folks.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I think this cart is legit but its not dumped to confirm, I have seen this crc value before. It probably has different SMA data from the one that is in the database, if you have the pc-2-neo lead you could dump it maybe.

aclbandit

Another Striker
I think this cart is legit but its not dumped to confirm, I have seen this crc value before. It probably has different SMA data from the one that is in the database, if you have the pc-2-neo lead you could dump it maybe.

I have no doubt that it's legit, since it's got a holo label, the chips are numbered right, it's in the scans database, and since I bought it from ckchan. Just sorta confused about why it's got odd CRC values. I played it through today, and it runs perfectly, so I don't think it failed because the ROMs are bad.

I don't have a PC2Neo; I can look up how to make one, etc., if you'd want that dumped to check it out. If I did build one, what would I need as far as software to make it "do stuff" on a PC?

EDIT: Whoops, seems the software's on your site. Windows only means I'd have to set up a VM (since I run Linux), but that wouldn't really be an issue.

Dunno where to buy just a joystick plug-end, and I don't want to pay the price for and/or destroy a perfectly good neo stick. It might be easier for me to just purchase one already-made; do you know anyone that makes them here?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Let me see if I can explain this in Lehman terms.

CRC is kinda like a bouncer. He has a list of people that can enter the club. His list has their name and lets say weight.

When a game gets an update it's "weight" is changed and won't be on the list. So aclbandit is on the list with a "weight" of 150lbs. But you got an update and now your weight is 160lbs, so now you fail the CRC check. But the next time you go to the club the list (Unibios) will be updated to show that there is a 160lb version of you. This is of course if your version is dumped and put in the database.

I hope that makes sense in a way.

aclbandit

Another Striker

CRC is kinda like a bouncer. He has a list of people that can enter the club. His list has their name and lets say weight.

When a game gets an update it's "weight" is changed and won't be on the list. So aclbandit is on the list with a "weight" of 150lbs. But you got an update and now your weight is 160lbs, so now you fail the CRC check. But the next time you go to the club the list (Unibios) will be updated to show that there is a 160lb version of you. This is of course if your version is dumped and put in the database.

Thanks a bunch, XX. Totally get the idea of the revision of Slug 3 not being in the database. I was only worried that it WAS in the database and something was wrong with mine.

But, if Raz doesn't have a dump of this one's ROMs and needs 'em, I'll be glad to help if I can find a PC2Neo cable. It'd be easier for me to buy one from someone than make it, since I have neither a parallel printer cable or a Neo joystick end at my disposal.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member

I loled