Master System revival

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
I thought this was going to be a reproduction of the master system as well as games, not another ROM box.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Oh great, yet another gimmick indy gameshops will push on the idiots for 4X retail.

Lochlan

Igniz's Servent
Oh great, yet another gimmick indy gameshops will push on the idiots for 4X retail.

I've never seen TecToy stuff for sale (maybe I have once) -- forget worrying about 4x retail, I'd like to buy some of their stuff period (especially the weirdo master system carts like the Wonderboy ROM hacks or Street Fighter 2).

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
tectoy only distributes in south america, right?

i doubt we'll see this here.

still pretty neat, though an odd number of games to choose, and quite a lot to boot.

i like the controllers, but its like those hk nes's that come with 4/6/8 button controllers. they only need two. then again i do play my sms with a 6 button genny controller so who am i to complain.

i have sonic blast, and its fuckin terrible. better than the 360 game by a mile though.

RegalSin

God damn..., what a fucking idiot, , I mean,, how
Brasil.......wow Brasil............gaming.... now if we could get that statue of George Washington back:tickled:

Honestly it looks nice but they really forgot to seal the deal there..uhhmm you know

Lochlan

Igniz's Servent
Brasil.......wow Brasil............gaming.... now if we could get that statue of George Washington back:tickled:

Honestly it looks nice but they really forgot to seal the deal there..uhhmm you know

What the fuck does this have to do with the Sega Master System? Stop posting.

J. Max

judas,
What the fuck does this have to do with the Sega Master System? Stop posting.

+1

Has Tec Toy ever STOPPED producing the Master System? I don't think this is a new product; Tec Toy was/is the South American distributor for Sega and I don't think that they've ever stopped producing the Master System. I used to have a bunch of special edition systems that they made, but they only output in black and white because Brazil uses the PAL-M standard.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
I'm personally loving the White design, btw does anyone know what the retail cost of this would be?

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Its a repackaging of the last master system 3, no cart slot again! think the majority of built in games might actually be by tech toy. :eek_2:

Lochlan

Igniz's Servent
By the current dolar rate here the system price is U$ 156, ouch .....

http://www.americanas.com.br/AcomLine/1858/35841

OK you are from Brazil, so please do tell:

Is there any way for me in the U.S. to purchase Tec Toy stuff (like the product in question) through a regular retail channel? (Like an online store or something, as opposed to eBay.)

I clicked on the above link, but when I tried to do a purchase I found the following message:

Existe produtos na sacola que não
podem ser entregues em outro país.
or, (thanks Google Language Tools!)
There are products in the bag not
can be delivered in another country.

Lochlan

Igniz's Servent
It means it cannot be exported ( unless someone does it for you ).

I gathered that -- but is it simply that the company in question won't do it, or are there other contributing factors I'm unaware of?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Its a repackaging of the last master system 3, no cart slot again! think the majority of built in games might actually be by tech toy. :eek_2:

My thoughts as well.

The missing cart slot makes this thing totally uninteresting, at least for me. I bet it's just another dsp-/java-based system with shoddy remakes of rotten old games, PD junk and a handfull of better titles to boost sales.

Dunno why they're going to release this thing in the first place, Master Systems and SMS games neither are hard to find nor expensive, save for some sought-after titles like the Sonics or SF.

J. Max

judas,
My thoughts as well.

The missing cart slot makes this thing totally uninteresting, at least for me. I bet it's just another dsp-/java-based system with shoddy remakes of rotten old games, PD junk and a handfull of better titles to boost sales.

Dunno why they're going to release this thing in the first place, Master Systems and SMS games neither are hard to find nor expensive, save for some sought-after titles like the Sonics or SF.

You guys don't seem to grasp this: Tec Toy IS Sega in South America. This isn't a situation like the crappy Jakks Plug and Plays like we have here in the US. It's more like an NES on a chip system, only more legitimate. It won't be Java based; these games will be the real deal and licensed by Sega. That's why there are NO third party games in there and why it's being handled by Tec Toy. If it was anyone else, I'd say that it was like the NES on a chip systems - this one's more like the C64 joystick that came out a few years ago, which was an actual C64 with ROMs on it.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
My thoughts as well.

true, there's some info here and in there is a link showing what the techtoy games are like!

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=297281#post297281

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
Is this the big announcement they were supposed to make? I was really pulling for Tec Toy Dreamcast. It'd be very nice to be able to pick up a few NEW Dreamcasts since a lot of them are slowly failing (and I play mine a ton).

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
My thoughts as well.

but in Brazil it was popular, so in a oddway its like nintendo releasing there Gba Nes classics, but this is a console. with no cartridge slot.

But wouldn't you Technically be able to hack a Cartridge slot on to one of these babies?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Cartridge slots probably cost too much.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
You guys don't seem to grasp this: Tec Toy IS Sega in South America. This isn't a situation like the crappy Jakks Plug and Plays like we have here in the US. It's more like an NES on a chip system, only more legitimate. It won't be Java based; these games will be the real deal and licensed by Sega. That's why there are NO third party games in there and why it's being handled by Tec Toy. If it was anyone else, I'd say that it was like the NES on a chip systems - this one's more like the C64 joystick that came out a few years ago, which was an actual C64 with ROMs on it.

Yep, did some more checking about the new Tec Toy machine, and you're right, this is not one of those crappy "n-games-in-a-stick Atari 2600" things but a rom player that faithfully (well, more or less) reproduces 131 officially released SMS games, 22 of which are new Tec Toy productions (with Spanish screen text).

This and the fact that the system is officially licensed and thus a legit release/sequel to the last run of SMS consoles (that was the 120+ games machine, IIRC) with proper games instead of badly reprogrammed java-based garbage, definitely makes it interesting for those who want to come close to the real thing without having to buy a bare original SMS console and then go game-hunting on ebay, which in the end may turn out way more expensive than the $200+ price tag of the new Tec Toy machine. Plus, you get nice pads with it and can use it on your TV right away, just like the original console.

Then again, many people already have the SMS emulated in one way or another, SMS emulation also does not need huge PC processing power to be a decent substitute for the real thing, so legal aspects aside, I think the new system won't see a really wide distribution, at least not outside of South America or maybe parts of Europe (where the SMS was equally popular for a long time).

What's more, the missing cart slot makes the machine a one-way street, you are limited to the built-in games, would have been cool if Tec Toy had given some SMS oldtimers the chance to replace their already quite rusty SMS's with a new machine with extra features. I mean... a SMS games library is not complete without Wonder Boy! :)

Last edited:

Neo Collector

Raiden's Valet
OK you are from Brazil, so please do tell:

Is there any way for me in the U.S. to purchase Tec Toy stuff (like the product in question) through a regular retail channel? (Like an online store or something, as opposed to eBay.)

I clicked on the above link, but when I tried to do a purchase I found the following message:

or, (thanks Google Language Tools!)

There's no place in the retail channel that ships internationally, but if you want it i can buy it for you and then ship, let me know.