Like Macross? Hate Harmony Gold? You gonna *love* THIS!

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
OK, good to know. I've never spent that much on a book. :lolz:
Bear in mind that Perfect Memory covers the TV show. I don't remember if there's any movie stuff in it. I think maybe the gunpod variant of the Super Valkyrie.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Are there actually substantial differences between SDF Macross and the Robotech Macross Saga aside from translation/VA?

Also: Macross/Robotech is over 30 years old, it should be in the public domain.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Are there actually substantial differences between SDF Macross and the Robotech Macross Saga aside from translation/VA?

Also: Macross/Robotech is over 30 years old, it should be in the public domain.
1.) There are substantial differences between Macross and Robotech. It's not just translation issues. Proto culture is two entirely different things in the two stories, which fundamentally change the story being told.

Macross-proto culture is a reference to prehistoric culture that saw human beings discover how to procreate asexually through technology, wich resulted in a binary gender split in culture and without love in their basic social dynamic, they turned increasingly to spaceward expansion, conquest of the stars and forgetting what it means to have affection for others.

Robotech-proto culture is a power source, primarily to fuel weapons of war, cultivated by the Robotech masters from the Invid flower of life. Zentraedi were created to be giant soldiers for the Ronotech masters to fight the Invid.

2.) Eh, probably not.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I’m over 30 years old.
I’m not in the public domain.
I’m privately held by the company I keep.

^_______^

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
1.) There are substantial differences between Macross and Robotech. It's not just translation issues. Proto culture is two entirely different things in the two stories, which fundamentally change the story being told.

Macross-proto culture is a reference to prehistoric culture that saw human beings discover how to procreate asexually through technology, wich resulted in a binary gender split in culture and without love in their basic social dynamic, they turned increasingly to spaceward expansion, conquest of the stars and forgetting what it means to have affection for others.

Robotech-proto culture is a power source, primarily to fuel weapons of war, cultivated by the Robotech masters from the Invid flower of life. Zentraedi were created to be giant soldiers for the Ronotech masters to fight the Invid.

2.) Eh, probably not.

I never understood why they changed "The Proto-Culture" to "protoculture" as a fuel. I mean, ok fine you are mixing Mospeada and Southern Cross, but just call it something else, remove the reference. Proto-Culture essentially means first people, lol. Why would first people be a fuel?

oh maybe if their fossils resulted in fossil fuels... :D

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The Saturn Macross game needs re-released on eShops, stat. That motherfucker is outstanding!

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I never understood why they changed "The Proto-Culture" to "protoculture" as a fuel. I mean, ok fine you are mixing Mospeada and Southern Cross, but just call it something else, remove the reference. Proto-Culture essentially means first people, lol. Why would first people be a fuel?

oh maybe if their fossils resulted in fossil fuels... :D
Scientifically, you could 'culture' a flower in a dish to see how you might to be able to extract somwthing of use from it.

And if that process comes from a flower that has been here since the beginning of all things, or if it is some kind of potent substance, you could feasibly get away with calling it something fancy and ominous like 'proto culture.'

I mean...it's all nerd hokum. There's always some faggor explaining things....

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Well this recent deal has caught the attention of toy galaxy then again it never made sense to me who owns what in macrosss.
[video]

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Let's not forget the stellar vocal soundtrack of the Robotech songs vs Macross' Mari Ijima. Lol

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
'HERE'S MY NEW SONG SMALL WHITE DRAGON I HOPE YOU LIKE IT!'

STAGE FRIGHT GO 'WAY!
THIS IS MY BIG DAY!
THIS IS MY TIME TO BE A STAR!
AND THE THRILL THAT
I FEEL
IS REALLY UNREAL
I CAN'T BELIEVE IVE COME THIS FAR!

Some more thoughts:

Reba West did as good a job as could be expected playing a Westernized version of Minmei written for mid 80s teenage boys.

Someday, you have to watch the knife fight between Max and Mirya in both Robotech and Macross. The Macross version has gravitas, the Robotech version is hysterical, both are absurd and only one of them reinforces the idea of marriage as a reasonable outcome to the duel.