= JAMMASLOT VIDEO CONVERTER =

JAMMASLOT

Crossed Swords Squire
Hi everyone,

I just finish my video converter for the neo world! :glee:

It accepts RGB video signal in standard reso (320*240) and 15 Khz frequency.
It works for MVS, AES, and others pcb, systems...

1 INPUT:

- RGB 15Khz

3 OUTPUTS:

- COMPOSITE (PAL or NTSC)

- SVIDEO (PAL or NTSC)

- RGB copy

I use the last technology (ad725) for converting the video, and i use a high quality , hi speed output rgb buffer (ad8073)
You can choose between NTSC OR PAL output with a switch.

The picture is really perfect, and composite video also!!!!
The best picture is on the tv, but the video is good anought for recording it on the computer...
:multi_co:
The pcb size is less than 2 inch x 4 inch !

jvc2-pic1.jpg

jvc2-pic2.jpg

jvc2-pic3.jpg

jvc2-pic4.jpg

:)

Video, Divx 5, 16 Mb:

http://arcade.db.free.fr/jvc/jvc2-vid11.avi

fatal fury fan #2

Duck King's DJ
JAMMASLOT said:
Hi everyone,

I just finish my video converter for the neo world! :glee:

It accepts RGB video signal in standard reso (320*240) and 15 Khz frequency.
It works for MVS, AES, and others pcb, systems...

1 INPUT:

- RGB 15Khz

3 OUTPUTS:

- COMPOSITE (PAL or NTSC)

- SVIDEO (PAL or NTSC)

- RGB copy

I use the last technology (ad725) for converting the video, and i use a high quality , hi speed output rgb buffer (ad8073)
You can choose between NTSC OR PAL output with a switch.

The picture is really perfect, and composite video also!!!!
The best picture is on the tv, but the video is good anought for recording it on the computer...
The pcb size is less than 2 inch x 4 inch !

jvc2-pic1.jpg

jvc2-pic2.jpg

jvc2-pic3.jpg

jvc2-pic4.jpg

:)

Video, Divx 5, 16 Mb:

http://arcade.db.free.fr/jvc/jvc2-vid11.avi

wow very nice

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Switch back and forth from NTSC to PAL?

Dude, that's pretty sweet! Nice work.

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
Under $80 = I WANT ONE NOW!!!!! Are you making more of these? Im almost done building my consolized MVS, and this is the last essential part I need!!!!

Spectre

Banned
Warning: turn your speakers down before playing that video. ;)

PS: Nice work.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
I also used the AD725 when I built my Supergun a few years ago, it's a great converter. Did you implament the Y-Trap filter part of the circuit? It really does improve the Composite video quality. The S-Video output if you use good caps really is phenominal though.

My circuit board isn't as nice though, I just soldered up a protoboard. :p

I wasn't however planning on selling them though, real nice touch with the PAL/NTSC switch.

Oh yeah, are these machine produced or are you soldering them up manually? I used a wide SOIC pinout adapter when I did mine but doing the surface mount soldering is a real pain.

Real nice work though! :D

Benimaru

King's Dry Cleaner
Man I wish I knew how to do all this stuff.

Edit: Ok I am gonna sound like the biggest noob but whatever.

It says that this thing has RGB input. Well my supergun has RGP output. But how do I hook this up to the AES. I thought only Euro AES RGP or something.

Last edited:

JAMMASLOT

Crossed Swords Squire
galfordo said:
Switch back and forth from NTSC to PAL?

Dude, that's pretty sweet! Nice work.

thanks, you can convert ntsc to pal and pal to ntsc 15Khz video signal.

Celes said:
how much would it cost?

I sell it: 160 $ without shipping for 100% tested and working

or 110 $ for the D.I.Y. Kit without the shipping.

JHendrix said:
I also used the AD725 when I built my Supergun a few years ago, it's a great converter. Did you implament the Y-Trap filter part of the circuit? It really does improve the Composite video quality. The S-Video output if you use good caps really is phenominal though.

Yes, i implament the Y-Trap filter, with neosid inductor.
Caps are from phillips, and i can tell you that composite video quality is really really good!

My circuit board isn't as nice though, I just soldered up a protoboard. :p

I wasn't however planning on selling them though, real nice touch with the PAL/NTSC switch.

The PAL/NTSC switch is cool
And very usefull to allways get a full screen picture.

Oh yeah, are these machine produced or are you soldering them up manually? I used a wide SOIC pinout adapter when I did mine but doing the surface mount soldering is a real pain.

Real nice work though! :D

Manually soldering, but no problems for the surface mounted, because i just need some glue to fix the AD725 chip on the PCB, after i solder it.
Using a PCB for this is much much more easier than with a proto board...

Benimaru said:
Man I wish I knew how to do all this stuff.

Edit: Ok I am gonna sound like the biggest noob but whatever.

It says that this thing has RGB input. Well my supergun has RGP output. But how do I hook this up to the AES. I thought only Euro AES RGP or something.

You need to build a cable for the video, with DIN plug.
But to use the rgb buffer you'll need -5V supply.
You can build it with very small power regulator. <100mA

Last edited:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I don't really see the point in manufacturing this in Europe when I can only see American people (that is, without scart RGB TVs) interested. With the strong € the price of 160$ looks too much when compared to its American competitors such as Jrok, Neobiz, etc.
I doubt the hipotehtical quality increase justify the superior price.

JAMMASLOT

Crossed Swords Squire
Use your brain...

I use it to play when i go to hotel, or in holidays.

It uses LUMA TRAP circuitry that really optimise Composite video.
This composite signal is better than the original AES.

You've got 3 outputs (3 reals use 75 Ohms/ HIGH SPEED BUFFER AD8073)
So you can display the video on your computer, your barco, and your tv, without any lost of signal, and this for severals meters.

You can convert in pal or in ntsc too.
It's very small...

The best of the third millenium technology! (AD 725)

:mr_t:

EDIT :

I can record this video on the harddrive of my computer:
Because I use very low noise oscillators, others don't use this !!! :kekeke:

:p (DTC)

Last edited:

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
nice, but I must be the only person who's looking for something that'll do the opposite.

Aside from building a MAME PC and putting a TV-in card into it.

JAMMASLOT

Crossed Swords Squire
taitai said:
nice, but I must be the only person who's looking for something that'll do the opposite.

Aside from building a MAME PC and putting a TV-in card into it.

It's possible, but not with my JVC2.
Just use this for example: http://www.goyona.com/CCR2P.gif

For others who think my converter is too expensive, i can only sell (20€) the pcb with or without the chips (ad725,ad8073, pal and ntsc oscillators) :glee:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
JAMMASLOT, with "switching between PAL and NTSC", you mean the display standard, not the display ratio, right? I'm just asking because I don't get how this should work with 50Hz/PAL games and vblank sync'ing if the console does not deliver 60Hz but the convertor does.... perhaps I'm missing something here.

Could you clear that up a little?

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Takumaji said:
JAMMASLOT, with "switching between PAL and NTSC", you mean the display standard, not the display ratio, right? I'm just asking because I don't get how this should work with 50Hz/PAL games and vblank sync'ing if the console does not deliver 60Hz but the convertor does.... perhaps I'm missing something here.

Could you clear that up a little?

I would think this would be a non issue with arcade boards or anything else that outputs an RGB signal with a 15.5khz Sync, since the converter would take that and put the frequency out as either PAL or NTSC.

If you input a RGB signal with a PAL sync, I'm not too sure how the AD725 would handle it.

JAMMASLOT

Crossed Swords Squire
JHendrix said:
I would think this would be a non issue with arcade boards or anything else that outputs an RGB signal with a 15.5khz Sync, since the converter would take that and put the frequency out as either PAL or NTSC.

If you input a RGB signal with a PAL sync, I'm not too sure how the AD725 would handle it.

Yes, and i can't test, for the moment. I don't have a PAL RGB source.
Because here, we're secam..

I use it to capture video games (arcade 15Khz) on my computer.
The pal / ntsc switch is very usefull, because of heach game technology, the result of the video is différent.
Also, you need at least 1800 MHz processor, like the one i use.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
JAMMASLOT said:
Yes, and i can't test, for the moment. I don't have a PAL RGB source.
Because here, we're secam..

Isn't SECAM 50Hz as well?

The reason I ask is that I always wanted to have some sort of external 50/60Hz switch that lets ALL games run in 60Hz full screen (I don't care for color coding, I just want 60Hz, be it PAL-60 or NTSC-60).

So, what would happen if I'd take a, say, PAL PS2 with a PAL game (50Hz), connect it to your convertor using RGB/scart and switch it to NTSC mode, would the game run in 60Hz on my TV?

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Takumaji said:

The reason I ask is that I always wanted to have some sort of external 50/60Hz switch that lets ALL games run in 60Hz full screen (I don't care for color coding, I just want 60Hz, be it PAL-60 or NTSC-60).

So, what would happen if I'd take a, say, PAL PS2 with a PAL game (50Hz), connect it to your convertor using RGB/scart and switch it to NTSC mode, would the game run in 60Hz on my TV?

I'm no expert on this, but I doubt it is possible. 60 hz signal is faster than 50 hz, and there's no way you can accelerate the game from just an external video converter.
If you want to play PAL PS2 games but in NTSC 60 hz mode (full screen, faster speed, etc) then just use http://www.xploder.net/ , and it will still work using the RGB scart connection. Take care that the PAL/NTSC selector of this disc discenters a lot the screen, so you need to use the in-game centering adjustments to fix it (if the game doesn't support this then it will possibly be unplayable).

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Amano Jacu said:
I'm no expert on this, but I doubt it is possible.

That's what I was thinking too, I just want a confirmation.

If this thing would deliver a true 60Hz NTSC signal no matter what display standard you stuff into it via RGB, it will be THE solution for us Euro gamers suffering from that godamnmotherfucking 50Hz PAL shit.

Let it be officially known, I HATE-HATE-HAAATTEEE companies that STILL release PAL games, I will NEVER EVER buy a PAL/50Hz game, even if it would be the only version of this game available. Get rid of that friggin' PAL already, there's absolutely no-zero-nada reason to stick to it. :mad:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Just use the xploder disc as I said. GTA San Andreas was a total different game when played in NTSC 60hz mode with it. I had to recenter the screen and still I would miss a part of the top&bottom of the screen, but who cares.

Fortunately, lately most PAL PS2 games are coming with 50/60 hz selectors, something that started with DC. Xbox has a 60 hz mode option in the original dashboard, and most cube games have a selector included. PS2 has always been the suckiest with this. Hopefully as I said they've started correcting it, plus there's that xploder disc too.

JAMMASLOT

Crossed Swords Squire
Takumaji said:

You may have stuff in PAL video format and with a scart plug.
But, this converter will only work with RGB signal.
Some scart plugs use composite and there is no cable for RGB.

Forget about the frequency problems, this converter got 2 oscillators for building the output signal.
If fact it works like this:
- Sample RGB signal
- Build a new one according PAL (50Hz) or NTSC (60Hz) frequency, lines...
- Finish to convert the signal in composite or Svideo.

This converter will not work with a composite signal.
Your PS game will still be the same, i'm not expert in PS games, sorry.

Last edited: