Is Nintendo dead and is the switch the nail in the coffin?

Is Nintendo dead?

• Total voters

Tanooki

War Room Troll
In comparison to the WiiU it will be a success, but in comparison to the Wii in moving hardware a failure. In the end I think it'll garner some Gamecube or better (N64?) type numbers but nothing of what the NES, SNES or Wii (or any handheld) pulled off.

I'm still on the fence trusting them with this device but they're doing some things better, some not this go around. The WiiU was mocked well out of the gate and before, derided and ridiculed by most developers. Those who bothered shoehorned in years old ports of games most people owned, and worse yet, halfassed them with bugs and dodgy framerates. When people didn't buy their shit, they used it as an excuse a year in to bail.

This system though with some kind of Android slim core going for it is stupid easy to drop Android code to or code new, unlike the WiiU which was considered one of the hardest ever to make work (Saturn or worse level.) Unlike the WiiU or Wii, developers are placing games on this device from anywhere from their last attempts in the Gamecube(with front tier franchises) to as far back as the late NES/SNES with Dragon Quest (DW4 last Nintendo system in the US with that franchise.) This year you have Tales of..., Taiko Drum Master, PuyoXTetris, Disgaea 5, I Am Setsuna, Ultra SF2, Bomberman, RIME(a PS4/PC title), Shin Megami Tensei, Dragon Quest 11+hereos1 & 2, Skyrim, Rayman, and quite a few others from third parties.

It seems like an honest attempt this time to support them, perhaps because it's dirt cheap and easy to develop for, or some developers really think it can survive off life support unlike WiiU.

We'll have to wait though, give it 1-2 years and see if people turn coat and run or the numbers boom at a decent steady or better clip.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks (cos no) - the idea of a secondary screen is sew booooring!
my gosh
all this hype and it's just a wii
I really like the og wii. I still play it quite a lot.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
The Switch is a horrible idea IMO. The WiiU proved playing a home console system on a portable screen isn't that big of a deal. Hell the PSVita does cross platform play and the Nintendo 3DS is still the big handheld system on the market. Still Nintendo tends to salvage bad ideas after bad ideas into something somewhat profitable so who knows.