Iron Chef bishes...

$CASHMONEY$

Edo Express Delivery Guy
any iron chef fans here?... not talking about the busted ass american version.... i'm talking about the older variety with chairman kaga....

i've got about 40 episodes i recorded on vhs waaaaaaaaay back in the day.. watchin one now after a couple of brews... good stuff...
200px-Iron_Chef.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I always loved the original, the bell pepper face is priceless. Did you ever see the SNL spoof?

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
There is nothing wrong with the american version (except for Bobbly Flay.)

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
There is nothing wrong with the american version (except for Bobbly Flay.)

Man I dunno. I only watch when Chef Morimoto is being challenged. I just don't like the others for some reason.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
While I definitely prefer the original, the American version has some pretty nice presentation on the dishes. More so than the original Iron Chef. But the food and dishes are more interesting overall in the original.

Never saw that SNL skit. Pretty funny. "Eel farts.":lolz:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
While I definitely prefer the original, the American version has some pretty nice presentation on the dishes. More so than the original Iron Chef. But the food and dishes are more interesting overall in the original.

Never saw that SNL skit. Pretty funny. "Eel farts.":lolz:

I think the appeal of the original, mostly, is that the secret ingredient is usually something you've never even heard of before.

subcons

I think the appeal of the original, mostly, is that the secret ingredient is usually something you've never even heard of before.

Oh, absolutely. I love that they use bizarre ingredients, at least from my point of view as an American. Here's an interesting thing from the Wiki entry on the show:

The stage setting for the show, "Kitchen Stadium" (キッチンスタジアム Kitchin Sutajiamu?), the high-quality (and sometimes very expensive) ingredients used in the cooking battles, and Kaga's extravagant costumes required the show to have a budget far higher than that of most other cooking shows. Some statistics: 893 portions of foie gras, 54 sea breams, 827 Ise shrimp, 964 matsutake mushrooms, 4,593 eggs, 1,489 truffles, 4,651 grams of caviar, and 84 pieces of shark fin were used during the show, bringing the total grocery bill to ¥843,354,407[4] (or about $7,115,520). One of the most expensive battles was Battle Swallow's Nest, which ran over $40,000 solely for that ingredient, not counting large quantities of shark's fin; for the battle, the producers were permitted to return any unused portions to Hattori Nutrition College.

$CASHMONEY$

Edo Express Delivery Guy
LOL i'd never seen that skit before.... 'suck on that speed racer!'....

i don't absolutely hate the american version (except for bobby flay).... but it just doesn't create the same level of excitement for me as the original..

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I like Bobby Flay and I like Iron Chef (all versions.)

Why do people hate Flay?

Never seen him act in a way that would warrant hate.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I like Bobby Flay and I like Iron Chef (all versions.)

Why do people hate Flay?

Never seen him act in a way that would warrant hate.

So you never saw the Flay vs Morimoto battles?

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
According to Wiki:

"In 1997, when the original Iron Chef show traveled to New York for a special battle, he challenged Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto to battle rock crab. After the hour battle ended, Flay stood on top of his cutting board and raised his arms in premature victory. Not realizing that cutting boards and knives are sacred in Japan, he offended Morimoto who criticized his professionalism, saying that Flay was "not a chef". Flay went on to lose the battle.[26]

Flay challenged Morimoto to a rematch in Morimoto's native Japan. In this battle, at the end of the hour, Flay threw his cutting board on the floor and stood on the counter yet again to raise the roof with the audience. This time, Flay won.[26] Though they share a heated past, Flay and Morimoto, who are both Iron Chefs on Iron Chef America, are now friends"

If Morimoto can forgive him then so can I.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Regardless of Flay's douchebaggery, the American show is ridiculous and the food is beyond pretentious. The judges are idiots who half the time don't know what the fuck they're talking about, and they're often rude, to boot.

The Japanese show is awesome. The American one is terrible.

subcons

I never saw that episode with Flay, but I don't like arrogance. Sounds like a douche to me.

Again though, not the main reason I prefer the original over the American version. It's all about the ingredients and dishes.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Regardless of Flay's douchebaggery, the American show is ridiculous and the food is beyond pretentious. The judges are idiots who half the time don't know what the fuck they're talking about, and they're often rude, to boot.

The Japanese show is awesome. The American one is terrible.

What?

The Japanese ones had j-pop stars, TV personalities, comedians and other non food related people.

Its the same thing. You'll have 1 food critic or chef and two celebrities.

This isn't a real contest you know, nobody wins anything. The scores are meaningless.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The allure of the original Iron Chef is the use of ingredients and the creation of dishes largely unfamiliar to the average Westerner.

The American Iron Chef is fine.

Nes is right.

I don't really care for Bobby Flay as a TV personality, I prefer Morimoto or Batali. I don't particularly care for Cat Cora either.

Flay's actions on the Japanese Iron Chef were pretty arrogant though.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
The allure of the original Iron Chef is the use of ingredients and the creation of dishes largely unfamiliar to the average Westerner.

The American Iron Chef is fine.

Nes is right.

I don't really care for Bobby Flay as a TV personality, I prefer Morimoto or Batali. I don't particularly care for Cat Cora either.

Flay's actions on the Japanese Iron Chef were pretty arrogant though.

The thing about Flay is he did that TWICE.

Thats not even why I don't like the guy. Catch any episode of Throwdown and you'll catch the full spectrum of how much of a douche he is.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The thing about Flay is he did that TWICE.

Thats not even why I don't like the guy. Catch any episode of Throwdown and you'll catch the full spectrum of how much of a douche he is.

Throwdown is a really stupid show.

It's not fun when Bobby Flay wins, but if he loses all the time, then what's the point?

The matchups just don't ever make sense.

Some local man or woman who is really good at one thing vs a classicaly trained chef?

That doesn't even make sense.

I mean, when Bobby Flay wins it's like, "well no shit, he is a trained chef."

Thats not to say you can't cool damn well if you aren't formally trained, but come on. It's just stupid.

He is a d-bag on that show for sure. Him and those two ugly wenches at are with him.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
bobby-flay-cutting-board.jpg

much outrage

According to Wiki:

"In 1997, when the original Iron Chef show traveled to New York for a special battle, he challenged Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto to battle rock crab. After the hour battle ended, Flay stood on top of his cutting board and raised his arms in premature victory. Not realizing that cutting boards and knives are sacred in Japan, he offended Morimoto who criticized his professionalism, saying that Flay was "not a chef". Flay went on to lose the battle.[26]

Flay challenged Morimoto to a rematch in Morimoto's native Japan. In this battle, at the end of the hour, Flay threw his cutting board on the floor and stood on the counter yet again to raise the roof with the audience. This time, Flay won.[26] Though they share a heated past, Flay and Morimoto, who are both Iron Chefs on Iron Chef America, are now friends"

a little over the edge, even after the cooking is finish it's just looks bad for the people who eating your food and give em and bad impression..( i mean can you imagine eating a nice tasty meal and walking into the washroom and saw the chef coming out of the shitter n walking out without washing his hands ). but in flays mind he's just wanted the flare in the show and don't mean no harm

:buttrock:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
American Iron Chef has Alton Brown on it.

That motherfucker is so awesome.